shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald cut lovers - what's your preferred L/W ratio?

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 1.40 ratio and love it. I *think* I prefer ECs tending towards the more elongated. But I've never seen a different ratio in real life, so... Thoughts (and photos of course) are welcome!

Thinking of going bigger to this one, with a 1.51 ratio, but no clue as to whether it's well cut. Comments on this would be gratefully received too.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In diamonds, I personally prefer longer/more slender ECs to chubby ECs, and am not a fan of Asschers.

Personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
In diamonds, I personally prefer longer/more slender ECs to chubby ECs, and am not a fan of Asschers.

Personal preferences and all that.

Thanks DK! I think I'm the same. I love the look of more square stones on others (on PS) but for some reason they don't look good on me. Maybe because I have short fingers?! I need all the optical illusion of length I can get...

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the slightly longer emerald cuts being the most pleasant to my eye. Now, that said, I love an asscher that’s dead square.

Hey, call me a step it hypocrite :)

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Haha, not hypocrisy, we like what we like!

I think the problem is I just find them all beautiful. Makes it hard to be discriminating and narrow down preferences.

What do you both think of the BN stone linked?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all, I am no good with cut quality like the experts on here.

Although I like the L:W ratio and the look of this stone, the colour is a tad too warm for my liking (my own 1.19ct EC is an E).

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I like the classic 1.5:1 ratio for emerald cuts, or a 1:1 for square emeralds or Asscher

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
First of all, I am no good with cut quality like the experts on here.

Although I like the L:W ratio and the look of this stone, the colour is a tad too warm for my liking (my own 1.19ct EC is an E).

Thanks DK! My existing EC is a K colour so I'm OK with them - I am not colour sensitive at all, and I have darker skin so that seems to help too. Or maybe colour tolerant is the word - I can see the difference but I like the warmth :) Your EC is stunning and icy white in photos, it must be amazing in real life!

I like the classic 1.5:1 ratio for emerald cuts, or a 1:1 for square emeralds or Asscher

Thanks - that's interesting you refer to it as classic. Blue Nile categorise 1.30-1.40 as the "standard", I wonder if this has changed over time?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @MillieLou - I am glad that you like the colour as I believe it is a nice sparkly stone.

I don't have the dimensions of my EC to hand, however, I can remember Rob at Diamondhouse in Antwerp commenting at the time that the likes of Tiffany would reject my EC as it would not be considered as "ideal" to them being too long.

Hence it was also slightly cheaper compared to those that were considered as ideal for the same weight.

I did not know if all these were true or not, however, he came highly recommended, and I trusted him as I never felt being pressured into making a purchase.

He brought in 3 stones for me to choose, two within my budget and one was outside by at least 1k EUR.

When he placed the three stones on my hand, my eyes immediately drew to 1.19ct E VS1 for its longer shape immediately. The other two chubbier stones had no chance. And yes, I believe the stone spoke to me that day! :lol-2:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know nothing about Emerald cuts, but yours looks a beauty @MillieLou.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @MillieLou - I am glad that you like the colour as I believe it is a nice sparkly stone.

I don't have the dimensions of my EC to hand, however, I can remember Rob at Diamondhouse in Antwerp commenting at the time that the likes of Tiffany would reject my EC as it would not be considered as "ideal" to them being too long.

Hence it was also slightly cheaper compared to those that were considered as ideal for the same weight.

I did not know if all these were true or not, however, he came highly recommended, and I trusted him as I never felt being pressured into making a purchase.

He brought in 3 stones for me to choose, two within my budget and one was outside by at least 1k EUR.

When he placed the three stones on my hand, my eyes immediately drew to 1.19ct E VS1 for its longer shape immediately. The other two chubbier stones had no chance. And yes, I believe the stone spoke to me that day! :lol-2:

That's interesting DK - I wonder what ratio is considered ideal these days? Either way, yours is gorgeous and I love the setting too!

I know nothing about Emerald cuts, but yours looks a beauty @MillieLou.
Thanks Austina! The one linked above isn't mine (yet :devil:), but I'm considering it as an upgrade.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
An important thing is the length of the keel is proportionate.
This keel is too short:
1620629721998.png

This keel is a bit on the long side.
1620629866327.png
This next one has a nice keel length but the corner facets stop short of true love! They do not extend to the keel.
1620629994620.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on this graphic my preference would be between the middle and left one - so around 1.37.

57.png

Source of graphic:

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love all & every shape of emerald cut & asscher, but you are right in that different L/W ratios look very differe t on different hands.

I do love your emerald though & it's definitely the perfect ratio on you. Can't believe you are upgrading it already?! Lucky lady!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love emerald cuts. Depending on the stone, different ratios could work for me, but I really prefer around 1:40 to 1.45 ratio. That seems to be my sweet spot.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @Garry H (Cut Nut) ! How interesting re: keels. Wonder what you make of mine? Video attached...

@kenny and @Diamond Girl 21 thanks, yes that's pretty much what my existing one is. I like it! But I'd probably like others too - so many choices, so little money...

@alex haha dithering about whether I did it right would be more accurate than upgrading per se! Thank you for your kind comments :) I am also wondering if a larger stone may be out of place / look like costume jewellery. As a fellow (local!) Brit, I'd love your take on this...

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
For a ring if not a SE. I like 1.2 for a ring, pendant I like 1.6+ or these days unobtanium in diamond.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
For a ring if not a SE. I like 1.2 for a ring, pendant I like 1.6+ or these days unobtanium in diamond.

That's interesting, never thought of different proportions for different items. Sorry to be dense but what does SE and unobtanium mean?

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
CD69194D-B4B7-4278-9444-E5507335763C.jpeg

1.5 ratio

I prefer a skinny emerald solitaire but if I ever get a ring with one of those super fancy halos then a thicker one would be ok.

That is a gorgeous pendant!! Is it yours? I wonder why we see EC pendants so rarely.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That's interesting, never thought of different proportions for different items. Sorry to be dense but what does SE and unobtanium mean?

square emerald aka asscher
unobtanium is slang for an unobtainable material

This is on my dream list for my wifey.
dreamlist.jpg
Fortunately long emerald cuts are fairly common in tourmaline.
in diamond even more yummbo but unobtanium.

Last edited:

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock

dreamlist.jpg

Aha! We don't have unobtanium over here in the UK but I'm going to import it and make it a thing, if you don't mind :lol:

That's a spectacular long EC. Love the contrast with the halo (or frame, or whatever you call the bits around it).

My personal sweet spot lies in the 1.45-1.55 range. I find 1.6 a bit too thin, but 1.4 is a bit chunkier than my preference. I find an elongated emerald is quite slimming on the finger (well, my finger at least).

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock
I'm around 1.45. Slightly elongated catches my eye the most. My opinion is that if you want less, might as well go for the asscher. For me anyway. But buy what you like on your hand!

eh613c

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I like slightly elongated. Mine is 1.39 169272E3-91D5-4E85-A10C-A2E1DAAFDDB1.jpeg

For elongated, I love this look by the Moonstoned

Attachments

• 244AF411-2ECF-4069-91FA-3D6905056AC3.jpeg
    244AF411-2ECF-4069-91FA-3D6905056AC3.jpeg
    515.5 KB · Views: 186

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks @Garry H (Cut Nut) ! How interesting re: keels. Wonder what you make of mine? Video attached...

@kenny and @Diamond Girl 21 thanks, yes that's pretty much what my existing one is. I like it! But I'd probably like others too - so many choices, so little money...

@alex haha dithering about whether I did it right would be more accurate than upgrading per se! Thank you for your kind comments :) I am also wondering if a larger stone may be out of place / look like costume jewellery. As a fellow (local!) Brit, I'd love your take on this...

It looks beautiful ML.
The light return from the sides in that video is better then from the ends of the stone. BUT. You were only rocking East to West.
N-S is also important. most of the time it will be away to the north a little from you POV.
The corner facets run all the way to the keel :)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

dreamlist.jpg

Because they grow in long sticks, they cheat and usually dont put corner facets. The keel runs the entire length. Would be very wasteful with diamond rough.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
That is a gorgeous pendant!! Is it yours? I wonder why we see EC pendants so rarely.
Thanks!

Yep, it’s mine.

i don’t know why we don’t see more of them. Probably because round are the most popular and I’m guessing people don’t buy multiple diamond pendants very often. Maybe PS’ers do but not the rest of the world. :). I only do because I like small diamonds.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock

dreamlist.jpg

Ooh, Karl, very sexy pendant.
Unobtainium is in the male lexicon but not so much with the fairer sex. I know only because I was raised with gearheads, who would have no idea where to source such a necklace. But you would.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I like short and squat emerald cuts. My ec is 9.14 x 7.5—a 1.22 ratio F8DF2CE8-C466-4819-B88F-017A4761C2F1.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results