shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald cut-help...?

Vvle00

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone!
New to wonderful site! I wished I had found it earlier....!! We re looking for a 1.3-1.4 carat g color- vvs2 or better with a 3-stone design in mind....
Can someone give me an opinion about these stones please?
https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-details/LD12744574?track=rvslat&elem=2

The owner at a reputable jeweler store here in Montreal suggested this stone as a starting research point .... I only have the Gia number though: 6207202716.... not sure if anyone here can have access to the images/ videos of the stone....

Any better suggestion from blue Nile site (we re living in Canada.... therefore trying to avoid duty tAxes!!) will be really really appreciated!

Thank you very much!!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I like everything about the stone you have chosen, so I will likely come up with something quite similar - except I would certainly extend the search to VS2 - the virtual presentations and the clarity plots of GIAreports cots exagerate inclusions by much, it is worth knowing when to worry about what is shown.

searching

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Question:

Have you played with a fluorescent diamond? I notice that your pick has no fluorescence, I tend to like it toooooo...o much.

(ugh spelling... )

_

Just two ideas (I still love your choice!)

https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-details/LD12713854

https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-details/LD11760976

These have very different character... I tend to like the simpler pattern (like your choice, and the larger of these other two), but there is much good to be said about the flurry of glitter in the other type of cut.
Both are more expensive ,(

Just a thought or two

Last edited:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello everyone!
New to wonderful site! I wished I had found it earlier....!! We re looking for a 1.3-1.4 carat g color- vvs2 or better with a 3-stone design in mind....
Can someone give me an opinion about these stones please?
https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-details/LD12744574?track=rvslat&elem=2

The owner at a reputable jeweler store here in Montreal suggested this stone as a starting research point .... I only have the Gia number though: 6207202716.... not sure if anyone here can have access to the images/ videos of the stone....

Any better suggestion from blue Nile site (we re living in Canada.... therefore trying to avoid duty tAxes!!) will be really really appreciated!

Thank you very much!!

Welcome!
The “beginner” is very nice.
I believe you can do a bit better.
I agree with @AV_ regarding clarity starting point of VS. VS clarity is still a safe starting point, and may afford you wiggle room for size/color upgrade.

EC’s are fancy cuts, which make them tricky. Fancies are more a matter of preference rather than statistically, and numerically based, as far as evaluation.
Truly, knowing your soft spot for l x w ratio (your beginner has a l x w ratio of 1.44:1, which is on the more elongated side) will help to narrow your search.
Some prefer elongated EC’s, others prefer more square. I’m in the elongated category for modern cut EC’s, and more square for Vintage Cut EC’s.
You also must consider whether or not you prefer larger or smaller tables; smaller tables allow space for more crown facets (3 vs. 4).
On top of being fancy cut, EC’s are step cut, and they perform differently than brilliants.
You should be looking for the steps to perform from crown to center and from center to crown in a step-like fashion...one step to another....down, and back up, again, while in rotation.
This phenomenon is difficult to examine, while resting on pavilion facet 3 (E-W).
Many different methods are used to examine the performance of step cuts: video in different light environments-in N-S position, ASET images, and naked eye examination...with and without magnification.

All of this being said, there is so much to consider, here.

I took a still of your beginner...face-on.
981016F7-173B-4929-9B69-C1988CF5ADB3.png
This is the head-on view of your diamond.
IMO, the facets show too much darkness. I KNOW you can find a better stone.
Knowing your l x w ratio, table size, and facet number preferences would be helpful, along with the other info you provided, in order for me to narrow your search, and try to find something for comparison....
This process can be tedious, but very exciting!!!
I am thrilled to help you find your EC!!! :appl:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Note: place ANY potential contenders on HOLD. Lurkers will swipe up any suggested stones posted, and you may miss out!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look up the emerald cut ratios, and tell us what ratio you like best, then we can find something. You can also safely go to vs1 or 2 to maximize size.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Matthews1127 I see the darkness (and there is slightly more in the larger of the two stones I have picked). Because its showing up at all is a function of the camera setup, I tend to want to see this detail in person (ASET or IS would solve the problem since they give a standard view of contrast, I take the H&A arrows as refference of how much blue/black is good). If much of the stone turned dark beyond a split second worth of movement in a strict face-up position, I would not be mentioning them.

I will admit that I am second-guessing the videos more than most - to me, they are not at all the same as seeing a stone, but an optical contraption as much as IS & ASET (without rules!). I wish we knew what the video setup is like, at least (& that is still complicated...).

Fingers crossed!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matthews1127 I see the darknes (and ther eis slightly morein the larger of the twostones I have picked). Because its showing up at all is a function of the camera setup, I tend to want to see this detail in person (ASET or IS would solve the problem since they give a standard view of contrast, I take the H&A arrows as refference of how much blue/black is good). If much of the stone turned dark beyond a split second worth of movement in a strict face-up position, I would not be mentioning them.

I will admit that I am second-guessing the videos more than most - to me, they are not at all the same as seeing a stone. I wish we knew what the video setup is like, at least (& that is still complicated...).

Fingers crossed!

I agree with you, which is why I mentioned the ASET images. It’s my understanding, but this may have changed, that BN does not provide ASET images...???

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Matthews1127 I have not heard of BN providing ASET either. I don't see how to further evaluate these offerings - except getting the diamonds shipped in ,(

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matthews1127 I have not heard of BN providing ASET either. I don't see how to further evaluate these offerings - except getting the diamonds shipped in ,(

I believe, again...correct me, if I’m mistaken, that BN CAN produce videos of the stone in various positions, lighting environments, and against different backgrounds....for in-house diamonds.
OP would have to inquire as to whether or not BN has any of these diamonds in-house. It is also possible, but not guaranteed, that BN MAY be able to request ASET images & videos of a virtual selection stone. It’s worth ASKING.....

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Matthews1127 I do not know if the BN sales desk is anywhere close to the videography opperation... Yes, I would certain ask for ASET or a 'back ofthe hand' view if ASET is not possible, especially iif shipping & return is a serious hassle.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is beautiful.
I would only inquire as to whether this inclusion is dark carbon.
It’s obvious to ME*, in the video, but may not be IRL....

86283F92-2AD5-447C-B85C-F7EC179129EC.jpeg

It could be a reflection of the camera, but, yes this is why I said to ask if it is eye clean, which I believe a vs2 should be to the naked eye. However, it is a step cut, so it might be visible.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could be a reflection of the camera, but, yes this is why I said to ask if it is eye clean, which I believe a vs2 should be to the naked eye.

Absolutely! Great find, @whitewave! Most certainly a contender!! ;)2

Vvle00

Rough_Rock
@Matthews1127 I do not know if the BN sales desk is anywhere close to the videography opperation... Yes, I would certain ask for ASET or a 'back ofthe hand' view if ASET is not possible, especially iif shipping & return is a serious hassle.

Look up the emerald cut ratios, and tell us what ratio you like best, then we can find something. You can also safely go to vs1 or 2 to maximize size.
This is beautiful.

Thank you for ur help!! My ratio
Question:

Have you played with a fluorescent diamond? I notice that your pick has no fluorescence, I tend to like it toooooo...o much.

(ugh spelling... )

_

Just two ideas (I still love your choice!)

https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-details/LD12713854

https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-details/LD11760976

These have very different character... I tend to like the simpler pattern (like your choice, and the larger of these other two), but there is much good to be said about the flurry of glitter in the other type of cut.
Both are more expensive ,(

Just a thought or two

Hi!! I prefer no fluorescence... I think.....?
Welcome!
The “beginner” is very nice.
I believe you can do a bit better.
I agree with @AV_ regarding clarity starting point of VS. VS clarity is still a safe starting point, and may afford you wiggle room for size/color upgrade.

EC’s are fancy cuts, which make them tricky. Fancies are more a matter of preference rather than statistically, and numerically based, as far as evaluation.
Truly, knowing your soft spot for l x w ratio (your beginner has a l x w ratio of 1.44:1, which is on the more elongated side) will help to narrow your search.
Some prefer elongated EC’s, others prefer more square. I’m in the elongated category for modern cut EC’s, and more square for Vintage Cut EC’s.
You also must consider whether or not you prefer larger or smaller tables; smaller tables allow space for more crown facets (3 vs. 4).
On top of being fancy cut, EC’s are step cut, and they perform differently than brilliants.
You should be looking for the steps to perform from crown to center and from center to crown in a step-like fashion...one step to another....down, and back up, again, while in rotation.
This phenomenon is difficult to examine, while resting on pavilion facet 3 (E-W).
Many different methods are used to examine the performance of step cuts: video in different light environments-in N-S position, ASET images, and naked eye examination...with and without magnification.

All of this being said, there is so much to consider, here.

I took a still of your beginner...face-on.
981016F7-173B-4929-9B69-C1988CF5ADB3.png
This is the head-on view of your diamond.
IMO, the facets show too much darkness. I KNOW you can find a better stone.
Knowing your l x w ratio, table size, and facet number preferences would be helpful, along with the other info you provided, in order for me to narrow your search, and try to find something for comparison....
This process can be tedious, but very exciting!!!
I am thrilled to help you find your EC!!! :appl:

Hello!! Thank you for your help! Ratio 1.40-1.46. No opinion about table......? No fluorescence.
This is getting exciting!!

Vvle00

Rough_Rock

I just asked bn.... no aset possible.... or any other view....bummer...

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Hi!! I prefer no fluorescence... I think.....?

The look is too unusual to think about, this has to be seen - especially if a tempting diamond with 'Medium' or 'Strong' (GIA) fluorescence comes along. It is a slight effect up to the far end of 'GIA's 'Medium' in any case...

Last edited:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just asked bn.... no aset possible.... or any other view....bummer...

So, you need to compare the ones we posted to your “beginner”, using the one resource you have (their E-W video), and decide which 2-3 hit you the hardest.
Place them on HOLD.
Inquire about their return policy/window, and see if you can examine each in person to determine which one you fall in love with....

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could also contact Martin at USA certified diamonds. He is in Canada. (I think Toronto)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eh, Nevermind, I though he had in-house emerald cuts

Vvle00

Rough_Rock
Ok... so I put a hold on the e color one........ 48h to find something even more amazing....!!!!

Vvle00

Rough_Rock
This is beautiful.

The gemologist at bn just told me that although it is eye clean, she cannot guarantee that I might not be able to see a little something if I started to obsessively look for it..... vs the e color one...

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The gemologist at bn just told me that although it is eye clean, she cannot guarantee that I might not be able to see a little something if I started to obsessively look for it..... vs the e color one...

That inclusion is so tiny I wouldn't be worried about it. Most vendors define eye-clean as eye-clean from normal viewing distance/around arm's length. You'd have to be up very close and potentially in specific kinds of lighting to see that inclusion, I'd think.

Vvle00

Rough_Rock
Little update... :) Thank you all for ur input. I finally got my ring this Friday. The blue nile service was impeccable and I got my ring made locally.... And... I am obviously totally in love with my ring!! FB68B9ED-ED95-4787-9055-5ABD327F865E.jpeg B31B5060-E749-4D6D-B000-89D727043DC6.jpeg D2B94493-8862-46C4-9B2A-3BAF26401204.jpeg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Oh, how pretty! I love the proportions of the ring. Did the jeweler source your side stones? Which diamond did you end up buying? I'm curious about the center stone.

Congratulations, that is a fantastic ring.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely! Congratulations! :))

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Little update... :) Thank you all for ur input. I finally got my ring this Friday. The blue nile service was impeccable and I got my ring made locally.... And... I am obviously totally in love with my ring!! FB68B9ED-ED95-4787-9055-5ABD327F865E.jpeg B31B5060-E749-4D6D-B000-89D727043DC6.jpeg D2B94493-8862-46C4-9B2A-3BAF26401204.jpeg
She’s a beauty!! Which center did you choose?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results