shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this emerald cut diamond?

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Since I have been on PS my tastes have evolved. Step cuts have become appealing to me. Their subtlety and broad flashes have captivated me. The hunt for an emerald cut has been difficult. Thank you to the poster who said to look for steps that turn on and off, a center that isn't dead and active ends. I have taken this advice to heart while still keeping my love of contrast. Please tell me what you think of this diamond both good or bad. I am still learning and would appreciate any advice that is given. The diamond is https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.04-carat-i-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-3701661. If I have messed up the link, it is SKU#3701661 on the James Allen website.
James Allen will send an ASET later in the week which will be posted . The top of my budget is $3,500 and it is not important to be over the one carat mark. Thank you for your help and advice.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your link seems to have added an extra http: and broken itself lol

This should be it!
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.04-carat-i-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-3701661

I like it - strong and interesting obstruction/contrast patterns, all bar the tiny triangles at the bottom of the short sides are working well with no obvious windowing, and it's nice and bright :))

The crown is very low, though, so it might be low on fire??

I would have to revert to @Karl_K and see if he would be able to comment on low crowns in ECs in general and if they have any negative effects! (My noob knowledge base runs out at this point :D lol)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a very flat crown. I would pass on that. I also prefer a slightly smaller table, like under 65, so more of the crown will show. I'd also avoid thick girdles because if weight hides there, it could make the diameter smaller. So always look at diameter measurements.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your link seems to have added an extra http: and broken itself lol

This should be it!
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.04-carat-i-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-3701661

I like it - strong and interesting obstruction/contrast patterns, all bar the tiny triangles at the bottom of the short sides are working well with no obvious windowing, and it's nice and bright :))

The crown is very low, though, so it might be low on fire??

I would have to revert to @Karl_K and see if he would be able to comment on low crowns in ECs in general and if they have any negative effects! (My noob knowledge base runs out at this point :D lol)
A lowish crown can still be very bright but you lose a lot of the 3d effect from the side view and some life when moving it side to side.
That said a diamond with a lowish crown and matching angles will blow away a diamond with a high crown that the angles dont match very well.
Fire in some lighting can be less, it could be more that it doesn't show fire as often as not having great fire in the right lighting.
The diamond in question is a 66% table and the CH is probably around ~12% which is not super low but on the low side.
The windmills are not conventionally cut to save a little weight.
There is a limit to what I can say, but getting an ASET might be worth it.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lowish crown can still be very bright but you lose a lot of the 3d effect from the side view and some life when moving it side to side.
That said a diamond with a lowish crown and matching angles will blow away a diamond with a high crown that the angles dont match very well.
Fire in some lighting can be less, it could be more that it doesn't show fire as often as not having great fire in the right lighting.
The diamond in question is a 66% table and the CH is probably around ~12% which is not super low but on the low side.
The windmills are not conventionally cut to save a little weight.
There is a limit to what I can say, but getting an ASET might be worth it.
Thank you very much, kind sir! :))

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love emeralds! :kiss2: I had such fun shopping with my daughter for hers. We also found smaller tables and taller crowns worked better for overall performance. One of the benefits of JAs videos was the ability to slowly rock the stone back and forth to see if most/all of the facets lit up. We spent hours doing this! lol

You didn’t mention if you had a preference on ratio, so here are two I found within your budget range:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.91-carat-h-color-if-clarity-sku-6025898 - 1.43 ratio. The IF clarity is total overkill but is still my favorite because it reminds me of my daughter’s stone. It’s shy of 1 carat, but with the low depth, it still has a decent spread.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.00-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-sku-6047241 - 1.37 ratio. If you’re ok with fluorescence, this is another one with lower depth, decent crown and smaller table. You’ll also want JA to make certain the fluoro doesn’t have any negative effects.

Don’t forget to ask for advantage pricing on any of these stones - that can also help to stretch the budget!

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you @OoohShiny, @Karl_K, @diamondseeker2006 for your guidance. Thank you to @KKJohnson, @stonewell and @RichardS_VA for suggesting alternate emerald cuts.
I did receive the ASET for the posted emerald cut today. This is it for your perusal.
3701661aset.jpg I have relayed the concerns of the low crown to the vendor and am awaiting a reply. In the meantime I will look at the suggested diamonds. Again thank you for your suggestions and advice. This is a learning experience and I am grateful for the knowledge and help of the PS community.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That ASET is very close to perfection.
Aweome step patterns accross the center, red next to blue flashes true.(quickly)
The windmills would be green in ASET black and its normal for them to be pointed different than the mains(they are by design at different angles.)
The ends look bright enough to keep up with the center.
The green near the center does not bug me it is near red based on the rest of the stone.
The thin white strip in the center is very small and not a problem.

Last edited:

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Karl_K does this ASET suggest that the diamond may still have some fire despite the low crown height? What are the limits that an ASET can tell us?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K does this ASET suggest that the diamond may still have some fire despite the low crown height? What are the limits that an ASET can tell us?
I have seen EC's with lower crowns but not total flattops that have blown me away with scintillation and fire.
Would a higher crown show fire more often, yes likely but highly matched angles and placement can make it better than one with a higher crown and worse angles.
Seeing it in your own environment for a period of time is the real test and there is a return policy that is fairly easy to use if your in the US.
If it is crossing a border then it is much more complex.

ASET is an indication not a total answer.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your advice @Karl_K. I think it would be worthwhile to see the diamond in daily living conditions before making a final decision on it. Thank you for the statement on ASETs. It is just a static image and not necessarily what the diamond will appear when in motion.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to say I like the ASET but Karl's words are a lot wiser than mine! :D

Correct.
Even static, the world in not a colored scope with perfect circles.
Now I have an image in my head of some goofy glasses with an ASETscope for each eye :lol: lol

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your advice @Karl_K. I think it would be worthwhile to see the diamond in daily living conditions before making a final decision on it. Thank you for the statement on ASETs. It is just a static image and not necessarily what the diamond will appear when in motion.
I think you need to get it ordered and check it out around your home and in various different lighting conditions!

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is a lovely emerald cut @diamondseeker2006! It is a shame it is over budget. If you could suggest an emerald cut around $3500, I would appreciate it.

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I admit, I still love your original option best. It has most contract for me around the center.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The I 0.96 is a little 'grey' head-on in the centre - not much in terms of bright light return or darker contrast/obstruction patterns.

The F 0.91 I (personally) prefer more - good mix of white light return and dark contrast across the stone, the middle has some dark contrast/obstruction patterning head-on, the ends are working pretty well, and only a touch of windowing at the bottom triangles on the short ends when rotated (which is quite common, from what I can see).

Your original stone still looks good, though, despite the lower crown (IMHO, of course).

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the list of emerald cuts @OoohShiny. You choose the most amazing step cuts! I really admire your eye for selecting fine diamonds. Thank you to you and @Dizzie for making me feel better about my original choice. It's amazing how invested we become in our choices and vulnerable to their perceived flaws.
The vendor is sending the original choice out to be examined in person by a gemologist. They offer this service for a limit of three stones per customer. If this info is helpful to anyone choosing between diamonds or don't feel comfortable examining themselves. I have only seen one emerald cut before in real life so this service is invaluable to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results