shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Cut - Dead Stone??

jerseypeach

Rough_Rock
Hi, I purchased this stone and am on the fence about it and worried it might be a "dead" stone. The middle in particular... thoughts?

Here’s a video

Emerald.PNG

Emerald 1.png
'

Emerald 2.png

Last edited:

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I’m not an expert, but I don’t like the middle either. To get a real review you should post videos, Certificates and any Scope images you can get. To post a video, make one on Imgur or YouTube or Rumble and link it here.

jerseypeach

Rough_Rock
I’m not an expert, but I don’t like the middle either. To get a real review you should post videos, Certificates and any Scope images you can get. To post a video, make one on Imgur or YouTube or Rumble and link it here.

Thanks for your opinion! Glad to know I’m not crazy. There is a very average quality video linked right above the pictures. Hopefully that helps a little.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not loving the center...:cry2:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, the center is windowed. I would return if you can and find a better EC

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Good, no contrast in that middle. Good eye :)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Way to dark in the center under that lighting.
That would be jumping out of the fire into the frying pan..
You went from to much leakage then to much obstruction response.

jerseypeach

Rough_Rock

I thought that might be a problem... but then thought it was looking okay in the video. I might need a better eye!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree

jerseypeach

Rough_Rock
Okay, since I think we determined that my judgement/eye when it comes to an emerald cut is questionable at best, I've gone back to the drawing board.

I've found two stones, both of which seem like good options, but honestly I thought the first two I posted were great until they showed up in-person, so...

As always, thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated. FVS1.PNG

FV2.PNG

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Need videos. You also would greatly benefit from an ASET scope image and certificate info.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
both flat tops and a lot of reaction to obstruction.
Not that great

jerseypeach

Rough_Rock
both flat tops and a lot of reaction to obstruction.
Not that great

What does a flat top mean in this context? The reason I ask is the depth/table percentages are in the “excellent” range, so I’m wondering if there’s something else I’m missing that goes beyond the report and simply the aesthetic.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
What does a flat top mean in this context? The reason I ask is the depth/table percentages are in the “excellent” range, so I’m wondering if there’s something else I’m missing that goes beyond the report and simply the aesthetic.
The reports do not report it, boooo!
Crown height is the height of the table above the girdle.
Being to low can hurt the life of the diamond.
The table size is only one part of the story.
A stone with a 60% table can be a flat top and a stone with a 68% table can have a good crown height.
I would say a majority of the EC stones on the market are flat tops because they give a larger stone and a higher yield for the cutter.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
"life" for an EC is the play of light across the stone as it is rotated side to side. A very flat top can look great face up but a more balanced stone can kick its fanny in motion.
That said like anything else there is exceptions, a flat top with perfectly matched angles is going to win against one with poorly matched angles and a higher CH.
But since a flat top is cut for weight in the first place, the rest of the stone usually is cut for weight also.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
ECs can be a bit of "handsome is as handsome does." Jerseypeach, you have the best guide in Karl, you won't find his equal. Enjoy the journey.

jerseypeach

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for sharing all these insights, @Karl_K ! What I’m realizing is that it’s tough to assess online, particularly for a less trained eye.

I mentioned some of what I was seeing to the jeweler and they’ve come back with this option. The faceting seems a bit odd in the video but perhaps that’s just the lighting.

I’m thinking that my next step will probably be to just go in-person!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Interesting video, goes dark at the end. I like this one, I'd want to see this in person.

Don't spend your money on my opinion, Karl's forgotten more than I'll ever know. But I just like this, it appeals to me as it appears in the video.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The last one face up pattern is on the contrasty side but in the acceptable range.
In motion it looks like they fire separately instead of all together which is what they should do.
Crown height is on the low side but not a major flat top.
Hard to tell leakage from that video but I dont see a lot.
Overall worth getting more info on.
ASET?
numbers from the report?

jerseypeach

Rough_Rock
The last one face up pattern is on the contrasty side but in the acceptable range.
In motion it looks like they fire separately instead of all together which is what they should do.
Crown height is on the low side but not a major flat top.
Hard to tell leakage from that video but I dont see a lot.
Overall worth getting more info on.
ASET?
numbers from the report?

Hi Karl!

I can ask for ASET. Here are the specs:

3.65, F, VVS2
Table - 62%
Depth - 64.7%
L/W Ratio - 1.47
Girdle - 2.5%

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Karl!

I can ask for ASET. Here are the specs:

3.65, F, VVS2
Table - 62%
Depth - 64.7%
L/W Ratio - 1.47
Girdle - 2.5%

numbers are great.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I like that last one too. I like to see a strong contrast off/on as it moved, each step holding it's own and nothing going muddy or a whole set of steps responding at once. Saying that...trust Karl :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results