carat
color
clarity

Eightstar question

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1312861730|2986962 said:
Hi Deb :wavey:

Brillianteering (painting, digging) - girdle treatments that alter the look of the stone and light return by changing the angles at which crown and pavilion facets meet at the girdle ::)

And my post - mostly a note of the fact that IMO the premium that the EightStar company charges is nothing short of exorbitant. There is certainly a mystique about these stones - much like the Hearts on Fire brand, actually - but I don't find crown painting to be particularly mysterious, if that is indeed the EightStar technique (EightStarSky?). That I couldn't actually find any info on their technique on the website doesn't impress or bedazzle me, it annoys me.

I recall Kenny's old thread about comparing New Line and Classic ACA types, and I would welcome an explanation of how the now-obsolete New Line and the EightStar differ, as my non-expert eyes don't see anything of note. I know Andelain has an EightStar from JbEG, I'd love to hear her thoughts too, sadly she hasn't posted in a long time :(sad

As slg said - I read that WF stopped producing them a long time ago, soon after GIA started going nuts on brillianteering.

Discussion of the old New Line here, incl description of the treatments that yield that blood red IS

I'm just now seeing this thread, since I wasn't around when it was ative before. Hiya Yssie! :wavey: :wavey:

I have 2 Eight*'s, one is a 1.57 ct I-VVS1. Absolutely incredible stone! The other is a 1.10 F-I2. Yssie, I remember posting that one before, and you couldn't believe it was an I-2. I'm thinking the grader just didn't get none the night before, and was mad at the world. I-1 would be a fair grade for it, but even that is do hard to see for all the sparkling the stone does. That one lives in the pendant in my avatar. Eightstars are so precisely cut that I can just stare at them all day. Not that my WF or BGD stones are slouches, but these Eight*'s ae a slightly different flavor that I love.

I've never understood why GIA went nuts about brillianteering. After all, isn't that a little like what an ideal cut is all about? Adjust the angles of the facets to make the diamond perform as well as it possible can?

cropped-LW-8star157.jpg

LW-EightstarI-2.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results