shape
carat
color
clarity

ACA stone new line or classic???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

prober

Rough_Rock
I was wondering if this stone was part of the new line or classic line from Whiteflash? Any other opinions on this stone would be helpful. Looks like an excellent stone scoring all ex on cut advisor

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1177155.htm#

Item Code: AGS-5885004
Price: $6,285.00
Report: AGS
Shape: A Cut Above H&A
Carat: 1.050
Color: H
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 60.9
Table: 54
Crown Angle: 34.8
Crown %: 15.8
Pavilion Angle: 40.7
Pavilion %: 43
Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 6.61-6.63X4.03

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
new line.
typical aca ... kicken

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Isn''t the new line wall to wall red on the IS pic? and the the classic are cut fro contrast with whiter edges on the IS?
I have also noticed that ACA''s crown angles are always up near 38.8-38.9. . . . any reason for this?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2005 1:37:56 PM
Author: Daniel B
Isn''t the new line wall to wall red on the IS pic? and the the classic are cut fro contrast with whiter edges on the IS?

I have also noticed that ACA''s crown angles are always up near 38.8-38.9. . . . any reason for this?

yes on the IS
34.7/34.8/34.9 seems to be the target zone for them.

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I''m totally unfamiliar with these terms. What do New Line and Classic mean in this context? TIA!

plg_cp

Rough_Rock
Peonygirl (and prober),

New Line and Classic Line refer to Whiteflash''s 2 different styles of cutting that either result in light return right up to the edge of the stone (like the stone prober linked to), or girdle leakage that provides more "contrast".

This is a poor explanation, so read this thread for a good explanation/discussion of both.

Mark

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2005 4:55:31 PM
Author: plg_cp
Peonygirl (and prober),

New Line and Classic Line refer to Whiteflash''s 2 different styles of cutting that either result in light return right up to the edge of the stone (like the stone prober linked to), or girdle leakage that provides more ''contrast''.

This is a poor explanation, so read this thread for a good explanation/discussion of both.

Mark
Mark, great link. Josh''s write-up is one I commonly refer to.

You can see the style in the ideal-scope photograph (examples below)

In general terms, ''New Line'' ACA are characterized by minimal light leakage in their ideal-scope photos. ''Classic'' ACA are characterized by slight leakage points along the girdle and at predicted meets between the table and girdle. To untrained observers the tangible differences are very slight. All ACA are cut with Visual Balance as a priority, so in terms of overall performance they''re paramount. However, after handling, studying and playing with many ACAs distinctions like these can stand out.
1.gif
When customers come in they can see slight character differences, particularly once we elaborate on them.

With New Line the angles of the main crown and upper girdle facets are closer to each other, and they have a broadfire scintillation that''s been described as fluid and colorful. They tend to have a somewhat more robust look in soft lighting compared to diamonds with more contrast. Classic have more contrast. This results in a fast, sharp, on-off quality to the scintillation. The sharper dispersion is also beautiful in all illumination scenarios, with smaller flashes active in bright light conditions. For practical purposes they - along with similarly well cut diamonds - are at equal levels of craftsmanship and beauty.

NewLineClassicSBS.jpg

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2005 1:37:56 PM

Correct on the NL/Classic IS differences Daniel. A little bit offered on that above. A little more here, (painting) about the treatment you''re seeing with NL if you are interested.

As for the crown angles, it''s dependent on the overall configuration of course, but most range from 34.7-34.9 in our configs. You have been actively garnering info, so let me ask you
1.gif
...With a balance of traditional diamond qualities as the prime goal, why do you think those angles are desirable?

prober

Rough_Rock
So was the original stone I posted the link for a new line or classic???????

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
prober,
the little triangles of white in between the arrows indicate ''classic''. if you don''t see the little triangles of white in an idealscope image, the stone is new line.
2.gif

prober

Rough_Rock
So I guess I will keep on looking. I want the New line ACA. Its funny though because most of ACA stones available on the site are the classic line according to the IS images. I thought the new line was replacing the classic, so why are there so many classic line still being sold??????

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
prober,
the stone you posted IS new line. it does not have the bright white triangles between the arrows. you can compare the differences in the photos that johnq posted. new line is screen left, classic is screen right.

prober

Rough_Rock
Thanks for clarifying, thats what I originally thought. I was just confused after reading your thread. So this stone may be the one the lucky lady will get.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
sorry..i wasn''t trying to be confusing!
37.gif

new line is not replacing classic, it is just an additional cutting style offered.
for clarification of what i was referring to, here is a grapic...

NewLineClassicSBS_1.JPG

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/4/2005 6:02:32 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

Correct on the NL/Classic IS differences Daniel. A little bit offered on that above. A little more here, (painting) about the treatment you''re seeing with NL if you are interested.

As for the crown angles, it''s dependent on the overall configuration of course, but most range from 34.7-34.9 in our configs. You have been actively garnering info, so let me ask you
1.gif
...With a balance of traditional diamond qualities as the prime goal, why do you think those angles are desirable?
Because it will appeal to a wider range of people? I dunno?
33.gif
2.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
A Sugesstion for Whiteflash/ Sir John et al.

Might be a good idea to identify on the WF website which stones are New Line fashioned and which ones aren''t.

Rockdoc

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2005 7:27:46 PM

Date: 12/4/2005 6:02:32 PM

1.gif
Because it will appeal to a wider range of people? I dunno?
33.gif
2.gif
Daniel,

Nice, safe answer.
1.gif
LOL. Historically, old cut diamonds were produced with small tables and crown angles that were steep in order to produce ''fire,'' or flashes of rainbow colors. As cutting evolved (and lighting changed from gas lanterns to electric) other beautiful combinations came about in many configurations.

Brian has chosen the range above because it suits his paradigms for visual balance. They produce a nice balance of the quality of fire through many lighting conditions. A percentage are cut below, and a select few above, that range but you ID''d the preferred range.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2005 8:19:56 PM
Author: RockDoc

Might be a good idea to identify on the WF website which stones are New Line fashioned and which ones aren''t.

Rockdoc
Bill, we''ve debated doing that. Right now the number of buyers who concern themselves with the difference is a small percentage of total orders, and typically only PS-types who ''get into'' the details. Clients who view the styles side by side confirm that they are at equal levels of beauty and are perfectly happy with either. Occasionally we will have a long-of-tooth enthusiast (or analyst like yourself) with a preference as a matter of taste, but it''s fractional compared to the total number going out the door.

Thanks for the input.
35.gif
We are adding an overview to our FAQ you''ll be able to link.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Hi John...

Analyst? hehehe..... Maybe my eyesight is spoiled, as I do see a differnce.

I see so many really incredible stones, that maybe like you said, Maybe I''m spoiled seeing so many superbly cut stones, but I do think that is an advantage, because I do see the subtle differences that the inexperienced eye doesn''t pick up.

However, consumers that do visit here in person, I teach and once those characteristics are pointed out, they see them as well.

oh well back to playing with the pet rocks!

Rockdoc

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2005 10:00:53 PM
Hi John...

Analyst? hehehe..... Maybe my eyesight is spoiled, as I do see a differnce.

I see so many really incredible stones, that maybe like you said, Maybe I''m spoiled seeing so many superbly cut stones, but I do think that is an advantage, because I do see the subtle differences that the inexperienced eye doesn''t pick up.

However, consumers that do visit here in person, I teach and once those characteristics are pointed out, they see them as well.

oh well back to playing with the pet rocks!

Rockdoc
Just so. In person it''s possible to teach what we can''t represent on a computer screen or in pictures. More importantly, it can be seen in proper perspective.

Do you have the chameleon out? Say hi for me.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
No actually Camille is in the Pet Rock Condo....

I have Godzilla out. He's a champagne quartz that is portuguese cut, 739 carats

Just took a photo of him.....

Rockdoc

Champagne Quartz 739.jpg

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Just so you can see the size comparison

Here is a 24 carat aquamarine in front of Godzilla

Rockdoc

2 big ones.jpg

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
A Pet Rock Godzilla for the "real" Godzilla

Nice how you got it to fit inside his paws..

HAHAHA What a hoot !!!!!!!!!!

Rockdoc

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/4/2005 9:26:57 PM
Date: 12/4/2005 8:19:56 PM

Rockdoc

Bill, we''ve debated doing that. Right now the number of buyers who concern themselves with the difference is a small percentage of total orders, and typically only PS-types who ''get into'' the details. Clients who view the styles side by side confirm that they are at equal levels of beauty and are perfectly happy with either. Occasionally we will have a long-of-tooth enthusiast (or analyst like yourself) with a preference as a matter of taste, but it''s fractional compared to the total number going out the door.

Thanks for the input.
35.gif
We are adding an overview to our FAQ you''ll be able to link.

I have to second Rockdoc. How difficult would it be to add one more value line / searchable factor to the website? Personally, I''d like to have the ability to search for specifically a NL or Classic, as the initial poster of this thread I''m sure would have as well. Just my 2 cents...

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/4/2005 11:09:41 PM
Author: ecf8503

Date: 12/4/2005 9:26:57 PM

Bill, we've debated doing that. Right now the number of buyers who concern themselves with the difference is a small percentage of total orders, and typically only PS-types who 'get into' the details. Clients who view the styles side by side confirm that they are at equal levels of beauty and are perfectly happy with either. Occasionally we will have a long-of-tooth enthusiast (or analyst like yourself) with a preference as a matter of taste, but it's fractional compared to the total number going out the door.
hahaha I love it
2.gif
3.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
See John........

It was a good idea.....:razz:

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results