shape
carat
color
clarity

Eighternity vs Star 129 vs " Normal Round Brilliant"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both Good Old Gold (GOG) and Nice Ice are now carrying the Eighternity diamonds (81 Facets). The Gem-Ex reports that GOG post indicate a clear reason why (usually 3 "Very High''s"), Both GOG and Nice Ice have nice writeups about the Eighternity Diamonds.

Today I visited a Jeweler who has the Star 129 diamonds (129 facets), and does it sparkle compared to the normal round brilliant. The Gem-Ex reports also usually feature 3 "Very High''s).

So I ask the experts from GOG, NiceIce, and anyone else familiar with these diamonds... Really, what is the differences between them and normal cut round brilliant - and what are the differences between the Eighternity and Star 129. Why did you choose to stock the diamond that you did, and how does that choice affect us who are trying to choose something great...

Perry

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The star129 diamonds I compared to the hof h&a diamonds looked wierd in the smaller sizes.
It is hard to discribe but they looked busy like they had too much going on.

In the 2ct size they looked better but I prefered the looks of the h&a rb cut.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/26/2004 8:22:34 PM
Author:perry

So I ask the experts from GOG, NiceIce, and anyone else familiar with these diamonds... Really, what is the differences between them (Eighternity) and normal cut round brilliant
Between Eighternity and a normal round brilliant cut ... no contest. The Eighternity totally kicks the optical pants off of a normal or common round brilliant cut any day of the week.

and what are the differences between the Eighternity and Star 129;
I have not seen the Star129. I had contacted the manufacturers of this cut to have them send diamonds to our store for exam but our requests took a long time for them to answer and when they finally did, they said that there was another distributor too close to our location.
20.gif

Why did you choose to stock the diamond that you did, and how does that choice affect us who are trying to choose something great...
Before we take on any diamond or brand of diamond there is a number of criteria it must meet regarding it''s optical properties. The primary characteristics is that it must display superior optical design/symmetry combined with superior light return/performance in direct/diffuse/ambient light conditions. I can vouch for the stones we prescreen to be of the highest optical caliber possible. I would also vouch for Todd & Robin of Niceice as they are one of the only other B&M/online retailers who are as anal as we are. :)

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

The development of the Star129 was almost five years ago (2000). It is cut in Mumbai (India) using laser-cutting robots. They do have a different look compared to a traditional 57/58 facet round brilliant cut. They are very brilliant and very dispersive. I had many here in my store to view in July of 2003. I have a BS report on a couple of these stones and they perform very well. I will not post them as I do not have permission from Star129 or GemEx. They are priced well, not as expensive as many other brands on the market today.

I would suggest seeing one if you are the least bit interested in some of the new round cut diamonds.

**Please excuses the photo below, the pages were bowed when I took the photo. You do get the idea of the facet layout however.

star129.jpg

chellbe

Rough_Rock
Rhino, to clarify, so are you sayin the H &A you stock are no contest to your ET''s optically?

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
chellbe,
That''s how I take his observation. Hopefully Jonathan will come in and add a little more to this thread.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2004 9:22:29 PM
Author: strmrdr
The star129 diamonds I compared to the hof h&a diamonds looked wierd in the smaller sizes.
It is hard to discribe but they looked busy like they had too much going on.

In the 2ct size they looked better but I prefered the looks of the h&a rb cut.
I''m a traditionalist and prefer the "simple" H&As RB rather than the newer funkier verisions with more facets (especially for an eng. ring). The eighternity looks very beautiful from the pictures on the GOG sight, but it looks a bit busy for me also. Also, from comparing many of the Brilliant scope reports it seems that many regular old H&As look pretty amazing just as the eighternity does.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/28/2004 5
6.gif
1:39 PM
Author: chellbe
Rhino, to clarify, so are you sayin the H &A you stock are no contest to your ET''s optically?
Perry''s question was how it compared to a "normal round brilliant" not an H&A round brilliant (if my understanding is correct). Sorry for any confusion.

For clarification ... An Eighternity blows away a "normal round brilliant" hands down. Not even a contest.

As compared to H&A''s ... I''d say it is more briliant than a majority of H&A''s and as brilliant as others. The display of light back to the eyes is just awesome and very few rounds can compete. I''d concur with Robin & Todd''s assessment that the display of light back to the eye is a myriad of sparkles ... much like the light as it shimmers off of water. There are some bold flashes within but coupled with that is a display of *sparks* that you will not get in any other diamond ... not even an H&A. H&A''s do have more broader flashes of light and there are some that exhibit GREAT scintillation but the Eighternity is a completely different looking stone altogether with a different optical signature. If a person is after insane sparkle ... like they''ve never seen before ... then they should at least consider viewing one.

When we give Pepsi challenges between an Eighternity & a triple VH H&A it''s about a 50/50 split but the people who do choose the Eighternity could not be convinced into another stone otherwise. The look is distinctly different and one that pleases the eyes. I''ll be working on capturing these differences on video.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Johnathan:

For clarification on my part. I guess this site has raised my standards - and what I consider a "normal" 57 facet stone is of course one of the better cut 57 facet stones. What was normal was the facet count - not the cut. I am therefore glad that you clarified that the Eighternity and the best cut 57 Facet H&A''s are about similar (50/50), but do of course look different due to the number of facets.

Check your stores e-mail if you want to find out how normal I am... I believe that I have turned the normal process on its head...

Perry

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
As stated in our email Perry, we haven't seen the Star 129 for ourselves yet and thus will refrain from commenting on that cut... In terms of visual performance between one of our Super Ideal Cut Diamonds and the Eighternity Diamonds we find them to be relatively equal in terms of visual performance. The primary difference seems to be in how the light breaks through the two cutting styles... The Super Ideals exhibit more of a broad flash effect and the Eighternity diamonds exhibit more of a pinfire type of effect... This might be visualized by the difference in how a chandelier faub produces rather broad flashes of light reflections while a disco ball displays a lot of pinpoints of light. Of the people we have shown the Eighternity Diamonds to in our store and who have compared them side-by-side with our Super Ideal Cut Diamonds it seems to be about a 50/50 split in terms of who prefers which cut over the other... Half love the Super Ideals and find the Eighternity diamonds to be distracting and the other half just love them, we suppose that it's all a matter of personal preference.

Triple VH's on the Brilliance Scope? Well... Some will and some won't, just like a super ideal cut diamond... Most seem to exhibit VH / VH / H but we kicked back one for displaying M / VH / M the other day... Eighternity themselves strives for H/H/H with anything above that being a bonus... Note that the results of Gem Ex scans seem to vary depending on the Generation of the unit being used, be sure that you are comparing results that exhibit V6.06 and higher in the upper left hand corner of the Gem Ex report to ensure that you are comparing Organic Fuji Apples to Organic Fuji Apples at the right state of ripeness. We're running V6.08 at the moment. This is NOT to say that previous scans on Generation II Gem Ex units are not accurate, not at all... Simply that the optics in the units changed between Generation II and Generation III as did the method in how Gem Ex interprets (scores) the results and thus we don't feel that you should base a decision to buy based on two versions of the platform... Either compare scans from Generation II Gem Ex to Generation II Gem Ex or Generation III to Generation III but definitely not cross platform if that makes sense...

By the way, we don't recall seeing it mentioned so we're going to mention it... The Eighternity diamonds can't be sold on-line, they are an in-store only item as per the distribution contract with the manufacturer so in terms of internet dealers and who to buy from, we suppose that it comes down to who has the Eighternity Diamond that you are looking for and which side of the country you want to visit when the time comes... If you snow ski, the resorts at Bend, Oregon are a reasonable drive from our store and a lot of our clients have figured that out... And of course, we're willing to co-op with another Eighternity Dealer if we happen to have the diamond that you're looking for in the event that they don't and Eighternity doesn't have one to offer to you when you need it...

Adlers

Rough_Rock
I thought I was told that an Eighternity diamond has the proper millimeter dimensions for the carat size where as the 129 has a smaller diameter for the carat size. Any feedback?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
and now for the really stupid question re the eighternity: are only the D-H colors cut? or is it possible to get an M-Z or even a fancy color in the eighternity cut?

peace, movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results