shape
carat
color
clarity

egl

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rita

Rough_Rock
Hi- I've heard difference of opinions on egl certifications. In his book, Fred Cuellar says they are ok for the average buyer, but everywhere on the internet, I see that GIA is the only way. Also, does egl only deal with natural diamonds, because I know GIA won't mess with clarity enhanced, etc.Thanks

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Rita,I like Oldminer's answer on the similar question elsewhere: "If other labs will be more strict than GIA, nobody would send their stones there".Just keep in mind that GIA and AGS report considered as most strict and consistent in the trade. Diamonds with GIA and AGS reports usually priced higher than others including EGL.On the other hand, you can consider diamonds with other reports or without any report at all. Just make sure to examine them with independent expert before making the final decision.See the list of the independent appraisers at www.pricescope.com/appr_list.asp

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Rita, could please you post more info about the diamond cut (shape, table, girdle, pavilion and culet)? Than we can say more about the cut using the HCA system on this site.Fluorescence will not make your diamond look weird unless it is really strong. You could see yourself whether there is any fluorescence when you bring a diamond from the sunlight to the dark room.As for Fred’s recommendations, I'm afraid it is not as simple as he described and there are more advanced methods to evaluate the quality of the cut. You could find much more advanced information in the tutorial on this site as well as the following links:
www.cutstudy.com/cut www.gemappraisers.com www.whiteflash.com www.eightstar.com www.goodoldgold.com www.gemex.com

Rita

Rough_Rock
Leonid--thank you for checking on the cut-I feel better now. I realize fluorescence is a contraversial subject. Thanks for all your help.
smile.gif

Rita

Rough_Rock
round, .71ct, 57.5 % depth, 62% table, 11.5% crown, 43% pavillion, girdle--very thin to medium, polished, culet-pointed; finish good, sym -good, clarity SI1, color F, flu- medium blue; comments--inclusion reflectsNow, I took it to 2 appraisers (who worked in jewelery stores) one agreed with the EGL cert--medium blue, SI1. The other lady said it was SI2 and G in color. The funny thing is both ladies quoted me $3500. So, I'm wondering if the first lady lowered the color an clarity by 1 mark because it's EGL. I can see a little black looking hole in the middle, when I tilt it towards me it gets bigger--the 2nd lady said the cut is too shallow. I originally just wanted to exchange it because of the fluorescence but now I'm paranoid that the cut is bad. Please help--I'm not sure if the second lady was just trying to bad mouth the store I got it from--she said EGL wasn't worth the paper it's on. PS the cert doesn't say anything about crown or pavillion angles.

Rita

Rough_Rock
pss-the second lady also said the fluorescence was strong and the first lady said it was medium.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Rita, I just checked the proportions on the HCA:Selected: 57.5% depth, 62% table, 11.5% crown, 43% pavilion, 0% culet

Brilliance Excellent
Fire Very Good
Scintillation Very Good
Spread Excellent
Total Visual Performance 1.7 - Excellent - within BIC range There is no problem with fisheye. The diamond should be very brilliant and look much larger for its weight. It looks like a great find!

Rita

Rough_Rock
Ok, so the store is just supposed to "lend" you the diamond to take it elsewhere? Are you supposed to leave collateral or what? You see, I got my ring-- they told me that is wasn't fluorescence--it came back blue medium. I took it to a gemologist at another store and she said it was the cut instead of the fluorescence making it look wierd. SO, I'm getting to exchange it, but I want to make sure I'm getting a good deal. By the way, in his book, Fred says the crown height could be 11.2-16.2. Well, mine was 11.2, total depth 57.8 and she said it was too shallow in the crown and the darkness I saw in a movie theatre was due to cut, not fluorescence. My ring fit into the proportions in his book and she still said it was too shallow. (I don't know what he crown or pavillion angles are). So, how can you be sure on cut? (I know, let an indep. appraiser look at it
smile.gif

Rita

Rough_Rock
so I guess the lady that said the cut was bad was wrong. what is your opinion on fluorescence? they showed me a different ring yesterday and they said the cut was better. Why am I seeing a black spot and it gets bigger when I tilt it? I also considered the culet because I wasn't sure what pointed meant, and then I found that it means "none to small". Is it the fluorescence making it look dark in a movie theatre?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
[FONT=Verdana,]quote:[/FONT]
so I guess the lady that said the cut was bad was wrong.
From a traditional point of view this cut is far away form Tolkowsky ideal. That is why she said that the cut is bad. However the diamond has very good combination of crown and pavilion that should make it very brilliant and looking bigger for its weight.Nevertheless, you shouldn't rely on my words. Have a look at the diamond in different lightening conditions and compare it with other stones. Buy it only if you like it, not because someone else told you so.
what is your opinion on fluorescence?
If fluorescence is not strong and diamond doesn't look milky in the bright light you shouldn't worry about it very much.
they showed me a different ring yesterday and they said the cut was better.
Do you see the difference and which stone looks better for you? Try to compare them not only in the jewelry shop where the light is so bright everything will shine.What are the proportions for another (better) diamond?
Why am I seeing a black spot and it gets bigger when I tilt it?
I don't know. You should show it to an expert.
I also considered the culet because I wasn't sure what pointed meant, and then I found that it means "none to small".
Pointed culet is fine. Only if culet is large you can consider it as a negative factor.
Is it the fluorescence making it look dark in a movie theatre?
No. I don't know whether it is really looks dark... Usually well-cut stones look good in the dim light...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results