shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL vs. GIA

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondgirl

Rough_Rock
Hello - first off I'd like to commend this forum. I just found it and it has already provided me with a wealth of unbiased information!My question: I recently purchased a 1.40 carat SI2 G Radiant cut EGL certified from the internet. I took the stone to be independently verified and was told it was DEFINITELY an I1, though he agreed with the color. I returned the diamond. Now I am weary of purchasing another EGL certified stone. Are their clarity grading standards relaxed compared to GIA?Another question while I am here and still searching....is it worth the cost difference to buy a G color over an H? I plan on setting the diamond in yellow gold. Does that matter? Thank you in advance for your enlightenment!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Diamondgirl,
smile.gif
Thanks for kind words.Yes there is an opinion in the industry that EGL reports often less strict than GIA. Perhaps that is the reason why GIA "certified" diamonds are more expensive than EGL.However independent checking of any diamond with any report including GIA or AGS is the rule of thumb.If you only concern about look of the mounted diamond, you shouldn't see any difference between G and H color diamond in the yellow ring set.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Truthfully, if you want to have a diamond that is definitely an SI stone in the strict sense, you'll need to stick with SI1 stones from almost every lab. There is a lot of bending and stretching going on with SI2 grading to accomodate sellers who are the main customers of the labs. It is so very hard to sell an I1 in comparison to an SI2 when there is very little difference in many cases.You need to look through the microscope at stones in order to tell if the inclusions have size and importance to the human eye, or if they are small, remote, or of low relief. Each SI2 or I1 is different and there are crossovers that no one can really agree on.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

Dones

Rough_Rock
This really is a wealth of information!! Thank you!

Can I get a non-certified diamond GIA certified.

Thanks,

Dones

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 3/6/2001 11:43:00 AM diamondgirl wrote: Now I am weary of purchasing another EGL certified stone. Are their clarity grading standards relaxed compared to GIA?

Another question while I am here and still searching....is it worth the cost difference to buy a G color over an H? I plan on setting the diamond in yellow gold. Does that matter?
----------------

Hi, DG: Unfortunately, yes, the EGL's consistency is spotty. Some stones are great and right on the money.....but there are so many stones that are also off the mark that it's a crapshoot. If you don't mind doing the legwork to find an accurately graded EGL stone, they can represent a good deal because the certs don't command the premium that GIA & AGS do. However, if the prospect of a fishing expedition isn't for you, then you might be more satisfied with GIA/AGS.

Regarding color......*definitely* consider H stones, especially if you are getting a well-cut stone. H represents a much better price point value and you'd be hard pressed to see the difference between a G and an H with your unaided eye, especially once it's set. The fact that you're going yellow gold.....even more reason to go with an H (or even a well-cut I!)

Good luck....let us know how we can help.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
DG....if you can advise what your budget is, perhaps we can help find a few stones for you to consider.

Just looking around, I've seen these:

Whiteflash:

1.28, H, SI1, EGL, ideal, $5170 (I'm sure WF will advise on accuracy of cert...this one could be a good deal)

1.37, H, SI1, GIA, $6743

GOG: 1.23, H, SI1, AGS, H&A for $6650 (bank wire)

Abazias

Rough_Rock
Absolutely, you can send a diamond to GIA for a grading report. Below is the address and phone number to the New York office:

212-221-5858

Address:
580-5-Avenue suite 200
New York, N.Y 10036

It will take approximately two weeks to have it graded and around $150.00.

Felicia

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Aljdewey, look at the date of Diamondgirl post. It was 2.5 years ago
1.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Leonid....didn't even see that.

What's the deal lately with people bumping ancient posts! UGH.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results