shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL vs. AGS vs. GIA

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bocajr

Rough_Rock
Is there a rule of thumb for comparing the grades from the three different associations? My jeweler is telling me that an EGL grade would be a full grade lower than if AGS or GIA graded it. Also, what are the "ideal" proportions for a round 2.0-2.3?

Yes, EGL grading reports maybe a color and clarity grade lower than GIA or AGS. You can find some great diamond deals with an EGL certificate but make sure the SI1 or SI2 are eye-clean. If the price is lower than a comparable GIA diamonds, there is a reason. In addition, look at the AGS chart for ideal proportions.

Bye,
Felicia

My jeweler went so far to say that they would not deal in EGL stones and if I wanted one it would be non-refundable. The jeweler across town is showing me a pretty nice looking stone with good numbers but it's EGL. Obviously I have lots of homework to do!!

You can check out the cut parameters with the cut grading feature at my AGA website. EGL gives you the data that you will need to do that sort of cut grading, just like AGS does. GIA does not supply enough data to make that judgment.

A diamond's quality is not changed by the paper it comes with. Some EGL papers are equal in grading to GIA or AGS and many will differ. Is that because EGL is a liberal lab, or is part of that because the other labs have a degree of "error" or "subjectivity" in their grading, too? Both answers might be "yes". It is not so simple a thing to prove that any lab is dead accurate and others are not. We see strange reports from the GIA frequently.

While we assume GIA does it "right", it is an assumption that is unproven. We know they are diligent, but so is EGL and AGS. How you like a diamond, how it is priced, how beautiful it looks, all have a lot to do with which one you ought to buy.

The lab that graded it has some importance if the letters of the alphabet mean a great deal to you. While we respect and work within the grading system we also advise folks to buy the DIAMOND and not simply rely on paperwork. The two things go hand in hand, but the diamond is of the ultimate in consideration, not which lab graded it.

You can always have a grade verified by a third party. The actual price is likely to reflect accurate grading reality regardless of the letter given to the color or the clarity grade supplied in the report. Diamond dealers generally price diamonds according to the real grade. A diamond that is very much off in price is always suspect of being a misgraded stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP