shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL - some thoughts and questions

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know if this has been brought up before but I saw quite a few threads (including the one Liberty recently posted) that EGL graded stones can be up to few color grades and clarity below the gradings given to the same stone by GIA.

My question is then say a stone is graded D color by EGL and H color by GIA. Then what would EGL grade a stone that was graded D by GIA? EGL can ONLY go up to D. Using some logic (or lack of haha) the ranges that EGL deem D and FL are super large. There can be two stones that were graded D by EGL but one can be a "true" D but another is not (like an H).

Or am I not thinking the right way that the observed trend is actually not moving in a... consistently downward fashion? I talked to a few jewelers about this and they seem to think inconsistency is the bigger problem with EGL gradings more so than the lenient gradings.

This is purely for my personal understanding. I am actually a big AGS fan hahaha.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nobody with a brain would send a GIA D to EGL.
Such a diamond could not benefit from a color grading lie.

Then again, if GIA gave that GIA D an I1 clarity grade it could use a clarity grade lie. :Up_to_something:

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1308888866|2953767 said:
Nobody with a brain would send a GIA D to EGL.
Such a diamond could not benefit from a color grading lie.

Then again, if GIA gave that GIA D an I1 clarity grade it could use a clarity grade lie. :Up_to_something:

Ahhh I didn't think of that. Interesting! Thank you for you input.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results