shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL? As bad as I''ve heard?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

slizatch

Rough_Rock
I''m back with another one. I''ve read several posts on here that say an EGL cert. is bad news and probably not very accurate. One poster said something like "most of them are done overseas in Israel and are not reliable."

So here''s the quesiton I''ve found a diamond that I really like the specs are below. It gets a 1.9 on the HCA VG/VG/VG/EX. However all the specs are drawn from the EGL cert. (it is a US EGL cert)

IS AN EGL CERT as bad as I''ve heard???

1.92 RB

D = 59.4
T = 61.0
Crown Angle = 34
Pav Angle = 40.8
Culet = Small
Fl = Faint

EGL USA is faaaar better than all other EGL labs overseas.
That said, some EGL certs are accurate and others are not. Not always their grading is comparable to GIA... What are the specs on your stone? Try to find out if it's still reasonably priced if it turns out to be let's say one color or clarity grade lower than stated.
1.gif

I recently purchased a diamond with a US EGL cert and had similar fears from all that I've heard about the accuracy of thier reports. I asked the jeweler to have the loose stone sent to an independent appraiser before I made my decision. His appraisel was consistent with the EGL cert. This made me feel much better about my purchase.

Good Luck!

Have it sent directly to an appraiser pre-sale.
If not:
Make sure they have a good return policy and check them out with the BBB and pay by credit card.
Make it clear up front that you will return it if it doesnt meet the grade on the cert.

I looked at some egl usa certed diamonds at a local b&m the clarity came out
right on and the color looked good compared to a gia certed diamond of the same rating.
I asked the guy about it and he said it doesnt come up much but that he eyeballs all the diamonds that come in against the certs.
He wouldnt say if he rejects any.

I forgot to add some details. It was late when I first posted. It's an I, SI1 Pol/Sym = VG/VG

Who are some trustworthy indepentdent apraisers out there? I've read some mention of names in other posts that people on here have used.

click
Check that list for one near you.
If there isnt one nearby Id use Richard Sherwood or newenglandgemlab

forum

I have heard that its mainly EGL's Antwerp office that's causing problems, however I have only had that from one source.

I had my stone sent to Dave Atlas at AGA in Philadelphia. Dave and his staff were great, answered any questions I had and provided great advice. I would highly recommend his lab for any certification or independent appraisal needed. Here is a link to his site: http://www.gemappraisers.com/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP