shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL 360 report, sheesh what now?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
EGL USA's 360 Diamond Report Service Available in July

By Jeff Miller Posted: 06/08/07 16:22 [Submit Comment]

RAPAPORT... EGL USA will make its 360º Diamond Report service available in July 2007. The report features light performance as a new measure for overall diamond quality.

Light performance is the combination of brilliance, contrast, and radiance that distinguishes individual diamonds. The 360º Diamond Report measures and details direct measurement of light performance, as well as traditional industry benchmarks, to provide a complete overview of a stone's quality and visual appeal, the company stated.

“Today’s retailers and consumers are increasingly savvy," said Mitch Jakubovic, director of EGL USA. "This new report goes beyond any evaluation available before. It accounts for the fire and magic of each stone, enabling retailers and consumers, whether shopping in a store or online, to have complete confidence in their purchases."

As part of the 360º Diamond Report, EGL USA assigns a new overall grade for each diamond known as a Diamond’s Natural Attraction or DNA. It is comprised of twelve distinct elements. Seven of these relate to cut and proportion, three to light performance, and two to the diamond’s polish and symmetry.

“EGL USA first released the report with a deluxe casing designed exclusively for House of Taylor," said Rachel Halpert of EGL USA. "It enables one to completely engage consumers from interest to education to purchase.”

The 360º Diamond Report service was developed utilizing ImaGem’s unique triple-patented direct light performance technology, which has been adapted by ImaGem specifically for EGL USA.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
"What now?" you ask. I''d say that the competition for properly grading Light Behavior and Cut Quality quality in major lab grading documents will be in full swing. The "predictors" will be challenged by the "direct measurers". The two major direct measurers, Gemex and ImaGem will compete while the other places that have their own proprietary light grading systems will watch from the wings as major users make their choices. Light Behavior grading which only 1 lab or 1 brand uses will be far less likely to succeed in the long run. Grading which every lab can have, and which is able to perform so well as to become an international standard is the one that will have the most appeal. The "predictors" may well decide to join the "direct measurers" at some point.

While there is current doubt about EGL''s meeting of GIA standards, it is a matter that could be quickly rectified. EGL graders have all the tools and training of other major labs. It just takes the willingness of the owners and their customers to accept a slightly different approach to grading strategy. They tell me they will be addressing these issues and the market will take notice whenver it happens. The diamond market reacts VERY swiftly to any changes in a lab''s grading policies. GIA has changed over the years, but denies it. AGS has made nuance changes and has admitted to some of them, none of major impact because they started with a very proper system to begin with. When EGL moves its targets for grading, it won''t be the end of the world, but a rather slight change that dealers and eventually the public will take note of.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Seriously, Dave, without the marketing-lingo, are you sure that you can really talk about direct ''measurement''?

There have been numerous attempts to ask for procedures of the Imagem-system, and as far as I know, there still has not been any peer-evaluation whatsoever.

Live long,

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
What egl-usa needs is tight standards and a name change.
The EGL name is pretty much tarnished beyond rebuilding.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
EGL has some very highly educated folks who tested the system against all others and the one they preferred is the one they are using. I know this is not pure peer review, but there were many times during the years of development where third party assessment of performance to standards was required by important investors--not me. If EGL uses it and the trade accepts it, then we''ll see how it goes. If EGL backs away after a time, or if the trade rejects it, then I will have good memories of the efforts behind the scenes. I hope for the best.

When I saw the preliminary 360 degree report at JCK-Vegas, their was a different name on it. SO maybe a name change is a part of their marketing. I am as blind about this as the rest of the trade. In time, we will have more info,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results