shape
carat
color
clarity

EEK my WF ring is starting to rust!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
If Bob is on vacation Jazmine ask to speak to John Q or Lesley. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

InLuvWithMrH

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/3/2006 12:31:03 AM
Author: kaleigh
If Bob is on vacation Jazmine ask to speak to John Q or Lesley. Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Lesley is answering Bob''s emails til the 10th.

Please let us know what it is! Don''t worry, I am sure WF will take care of any problems!

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2006 10:24:36 PM
Author: jazmine
It absolutely is not dirt of any kind. I never wear my ring for anything dirtier than driving my car and pushing a shopping cart. Each night, it soaks in warm soapy water. I can actually see where the plating stops and where the ''rust'' begin. It looks just like rust on a car.

Jazmine.....

Seems to me I read you were from the Orlando area ?????

If so Bob is going to be in Orlando, as will a bunch of us around the 24th of April.

If you can hold on that long, you''d save one shipping charge if it has to go back.

I think John Q is going too, as well as a few others.

Rockdoc

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jazmine I have this problem too on an old ring that we bought in ''91, it has a coppery looking rusty residue around where the bottom of the head meets the shank, it is a gold ring though. I am waiting to get a prong fixed then I will get the jeweller to clean it off for me - I am sure your ring is fine - try not to worry about it - WF will fix it up in no time for you!
35.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2006 12:51:55 AM
Author: RockDoc

It absolutely is not dirt of any kind. I never wear my ring for anything dirtier than driving my car and pushing a shopping cart. Each night, it soaks in warm soapy water. I can actually see where the plating stops and where the ''rust'' begin. It looks just like rust on a car.

Jazmine.....

If so Bob is going to be in Orlando, as will a bunch of us around the 24th of April.

If you can hold on that long, you''d save one shipping charge if it has to go back.

Rockdoc
Thanks for that info. Yes I am in Orlando. I was kind of hoping that I wouldn''t have to pay for the shipping. When others have sent a ring back to WF, for a something like this (repair vs. sizing, etc) have you had to pay for return shipping?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2006 8:21:36 AM

Jazmine.....

Rockdoc
Thanks for that info. Yes I am in Orlando. I was kind of hoping that I wouldn''t have to pay for the shipping. When others have sent a ring back to WF, for a something like this (repair vs. sizing, etc) have you had to pay for return shipping?

RE: Shipping Costs.

Can''t answer that question for you. Best to ask John Q, Bob or Lesley.

Rockdoc

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2006 8:21:36 AM

Jazmine.....

Rockdoc
Yes, it is usally around 40$.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Jazmine, I am sorry you are having to go through the anxiety of having this happen to your ring. I''m sure WF will fix it right up! I just wanted to say, though, that sure is a pretty ring!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Good morning Jazmine.

Bob is on vacation this week and he may not have picked up email over the weekend. If you can give us a call and speak to Lesley we'd like to assist you.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Jazmine,

If I owned that gorgeous ring, I wouldn''t mess around with it. Send it back to Whiteflash.

It is obviously a very, very beautiful and expensive ring...give them the chance to sort it out for you!

blod

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
You say you soak it in warm water overnight. I''d stop doing that if I were you. What is happening is the cheaper alloys in the soldier is oxidizing just like rockdoc said. Probable a little flux and some heat and all will be new again. If the plating on the ring didn''t get down into the fine details of that area of the ring then it would make complete sense to me. This is only a surface issue, only microns thick, it should polish right off if you want to clean it yourself. I''m sure your disappointed but it''s not the end of the world so cheer up, WF will be able to fix this for you no problems.
Letting it soak in water is probable letting water droplets get into the porsity of the soldier causing the oxidation. All metals will oxidize over time, it''s natures way of protecting them from the harh outside elements that attack, destroy and break down metals. I''m a materials engineer by trade so if you''d like more info I''ll be glad to provide it.

P.S. It is a very lovely ring;-)

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
No, I don''t soak it overnight. Just for a little while.

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
Jaz, I''m sorry to hear about this whole ordeal. I hope all your anxieties are relieved as soon as you hear from WF. I don''t have any experience with your situation, but I just wanted to let you know it''ll all be worked out and I would love to hear about what you find out!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
What did WF say??
34.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I talked with Lesley and Brian. He suggested that I clean that area with some non wax dental floss. I worked pretty good. Almost all of the "rust" came off. He said he had never seen or heard anything like this before, except with the earrings, mentioned earlier. I''m not sure yet what will be done. I don''t know if WF can do anything about it. Maybe I will just have to floss my ring every once in a while

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
The good thing is that it comes off!
36.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am happy for you that it came off. If it happens again, I''d send it back. Your ring is lovely, and that just doesn''t seem like a long term solution to me. I hate flossing my teeth, much less flossing a ring! Although if asked, I''ll bet that most pricescopers would happily choose flossing their pretty rings for better "ring health" than their teeth if they had to choose!
31.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like crud is getting stuck there. And the floss can get into the small area and scrap it off. Maybe try blow drying your ring dry, that way no water is left in the little spaces. Also, get a really small brush (like the small brushes that come with the SS kit from WF), that way you can get into all the small spaces and make sure there is no gunk there.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I''m sure it is from a chemical reaction of some kind, or something like that. My ring just doesn''t get dirty because I don''t wear it that much. I really don''t know what to do. I guess I can just make sure I clean that area really good. I don''t know if that is a permanant solution or not.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
hey jazmine, do you recall recently wearing your ring while eating any red foods, such as ketchup salsa etc.? before my current e-ring remake, i was wearing the ring and i noticed I had this coppery almost burnt metal color in between some of the milgrain design on my ring. i was freaking out after all i was going through with the rings (did they burn them? is it cheap metal and not platinum) etc. I looked at it under my microscope at work on 40x magnification and saw it was something "crusted" on, and i gently took a tool i had at work and poked at it and it came off. WHEW! it definitely looked like crusted ketchup or something when i saw it on that high mag.

Glad it came off with the floss!!!

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Did only "most of it" come off, or "all" of it? If only "most," that is definitely not a solution, and it sounds like you have to send the ring back to WF for them to "fix" the problem so your ring doesn''t "rust" anymore. It''s a stunning ring, you deserve to have it right and not have to worry about it.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad to know it came off. My asscher ring had a stone in the melee that turned a dark yellow. I took it to be steamed and nothing. Sent it back to Quest and they cleaned it for me in an acid bath and it came right off. No clue what got behind that tiny stone. I keep my rings very clean also. Hope it stays clean for you Jazmine. Keep us posted!!!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Nope, no red foods
19.gif

I stared at it under my loupe today before cleaning it. It was just a red brown substance. It's driving me crazy! I guess I won't send it back unless it happens again. This would be the 3rd time in 3 months I have sent it back to WF and I would like to avoid that if possible.
20.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/3/2006 6:47:44 PM
I talked with Lesley and Brian. He suggested that I clean that area with some non wax dental floss. I worked pretty good. Almost all of the ''rust'' came off. He said he had never seen or heard anything like this before, except with the earrings, mentioned earlier. I''m not sure yet what will be done. I don''t know if WF can do anything about it. Maybe I will just have to floss my ring every once in a while
Are they going to get back to you about this?

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I will call Lesley tomorrow and tell her what I have told you. I''m guessing she will tell me to keep an eye on it and contact them when/if it happens again.

BTW, how dare Bob go on vacation during my ring crisis! Okay, I''m just kidding, I''m just so used to his quick replys and great advice! I''m spoiled by the great WF service!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results