color
clarity

Educational Background of PS'ers

Educational Background of PS'ers

• HS Graduate

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Some College (Incomplete)

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Certificate Licensure (without degree)

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Associates Degree

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Baccalaureate Degree

Votes: 46 28.6%
  • Graduate/Masters/Other higher level professional degrees

Votes: 65 40.4%
  • Doctorate (MD, DO)

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Other types of Doctorate

Votes: 14 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1353896116|3315439 said:
If you know many people without higher educations, who can pay for a 100k anything after food, shelter, and clothing, I really want to know what it is they are doing for a living that they can do that. I want that job.

I'll tell you the secret of the people I know, with those 100k cars: No children, no bills, no rent from living at home with their parents.. So that almost 100% of their paychecks goes straight into "fun" stuff.

It's not rare that I'll go to a local boba shop, with young 18-25 y/o kids, sitting around hanging out during the day time instead of working… driving expensive a$$ cars. I worked next door to a boba shop once, and there was this girl that was frequently there, just hanging out. She carried a crocodile Hermes bag, and drove a Porsche. I always wondered wth she did…. :confused:

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1353875878|3315179 said:
I have a (random) certificate for floristry.

Me too. :bigsmile:

I have a four year Bachelors in Fine Art.

I'd like to go back for my Masters, or do another Bachelors, ONE DAY.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
ksinger said:
madelise|1353895609|3315431 said:
ksinger|1353894598|3315410 said:
pandabee|1353893579|3315393 said:
BS complete, Doctor of Pharmacy in t-minus 6 months!!

Another observation. Do you think there is a higher level of education here as it is more likely that people with higher education are able to earn higher incomes, thus being able to indulge in luxuries like diamonds, etc?

Nah. I'm sure that's just a coincidence. ;))

Some truth, but not really. My SO used to frequent forums for luxuries: expensive. a$$. cars.
People can prioritize their income to allow for luxury purchases.
I know many people with 100k+ cars that don't have their BA/BAs.
They don't have many responsibilities to pay for, and no school loans to pay off.. so their $ goes to whatever they want.

I used to be part of a forum that focused on another luxury.
Most of the users were women who weren't very educated at all.
They married rich, and were pretty.. dull. It was all about what their HUSBANDS do.

I think PS attracts people who want the science in fine jewelry. I think that characteristic to want to learn is the common PS ground here.

If you know many people without higher educations, who can pay for a 100k anything after food, shelter, and clothing, I really want to know what it is they are doing for a living that they can do that. I want that job.

I work in the transportation industry, and there aren't many people who have a degree--both of my direct reports don't have degrees. The industry is very much about working hard and work experience, and the management does pretty well. I think it's because the industry isn't glamorous, so most people do "come up" in the industry. That being said, only of a fraction of the employees make over $50k (probably 1/8-1/4). Most employees are unskilled, uneducated laborers who make $12-$14 per hour.

I wouldn't say this is the norm--however, it is an example of an instance where people can make over $100k (legally) without a college education ;-)

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
manderz|1353878268|3315204 said:
Lil Misfit|1353872053|3315152 said:
I have a BSW and an MSW (Bachelor and Master of Social Work) and am an LCSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker). I also have an Associate's Degree in Recording Arts. I loved school!

If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing with your degree? I've been considering my MSW, but am not sure I can justify it. I loved school, but I took several years off before I went to college. I'm now working full time and completing my BS (also full time), and at this point, I'm really ready to be done.

Hi Manderz, I also have an MSW, as well as a BA in Psychology and a Multiple Subject Teaching Credential. Since grraduating from my MSW program I have worked in Human Resources, taught second grade, and I currently work in Professional Development at a law firm. My advice and personal opinion would be to only pursue the MSW if you want to be a social worker. I went straight from undergrad and really didn't know what I was getting into, so while I feel I have been able to use the skills I learned while receiving my MSW, I would have rather spent my time in grad school for something I truly knew I wanted to do when it was over. I think having it on my résumé has helped, but it probably has more to do with the school I went to (Columbia) rather than the degree itself. Happy to answer any other questions you may have!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I have a BSN, and I am currently applying for a Master's program to become an FNP.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I think PS attracts people who want the science in fine jewelry. I think that characteristic to want to learn is the common PS ground here.

I like this explanation. It's a pretty positive thought! I'll go with this idea :))

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
BM (bachelors of music) double major in french horn performance and music history

MM (masters of music) in opera/vocal performance

have 4 classes left after this semester for my MBA

then I am taking a BIG break from school

but at some point I might want to get a Doctor of Musical Arts and/or a teaching certificate.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
To all those nearing their graduations: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

So far there are only 89 respondents to a poll that is answered by a self selected sample of the PS population, so extrapolating any correlation between education level and PS usage is impossible.

That said, one of the factors has to be something along the lines of education=increased earning=bling. ;-) Or education=information hound+/-awareness of caveat emptor. :ugeek:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1353898720|3315460 said:

I'll tell you the secret of the people I know, with those 100k cars: No children, no bills, no rent from living at home with their parents.. So that almost 100% of their paychecks goes straight into "fun" stuff.

It's not rare that I'll go to a local boba shop, with young 18-25 y/o kids, sitting around hanging out during the day time instead of working… driving expensive a$$ cars. I worked next door to a boba shop once, and there was this girl that was frequently there, just hanging out. She carried a crocodile Hermes bag, and drove a Porsche. I always wondered wth she did…. :confused:
there are 2 possibilities... :read: rich parents or work as the world's oldest profession... :wink2:

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
BA in English and Philosophy, which naturally led to the JD (because what do you do with that degree if not law school? :lol: ), and then a career change to teaching, which led to my MA in Ed. In a few years, I may consider going for my admin credential, but so far, I love what I do, and I'm ready to be done with school for the time being :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="ksinger|

If you know many people without higher educations, who can pay for a 100k anything after food, shelter, and clothing, I really want to know what it is they are doing for a living that they can do that. I want that job.[/quote]

Ksinger...FYI,some of the riches Americans are college drop outs. do i wish i was well educated? sure!! ,never hurts to be well educated,but some time i wonder why my so call high income,well educated friends owes me money... :rolleyes:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Resonance.Of.Life|1353902000|3315488 said:
I have a BSN, and I am currently applying for a Master's program to become an FNP.

:appl: How exciting!!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I have a BA in Applied Arts and Sciences with an Emphasis in Interior Design.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1353888902|3315319 said:
I am weeks away from completing my graduate degree. :appl:

I'm so happy for you, T! :appl:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1353909085|3315516 said:

there are 2 possibilities... :read: rich parents or work as the world's oldest profession... :wink2:

Pretty much what I suspected. They aren't working for those fun things then, are they? If mom and dad are able and willing to subsidize lazy kids, that puts a very different spin on how a bunch of apparently non-degreed people are living the high life. Math is a harsh mistress: they sure as heck aren't doing it solely on a college-dropout salary, and if they were truly smart and motivated, they wouldn't be spending mom and dad's money hanging out in the coffee shop, they'd be asking their well-heeled mom and dad for start-up money for a business.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tuffyluvr|1353900845|3315478 said:
ksinger said:
ksinger|1353894598|3315410 said:
pandabee|1353893579|3315393 said:
BS complete, Doctor of Pharmacy in t-minus 6 months!!

Another observation. Do you think there is a higher level of education here as it is more likely that people with higher education are able to earn higher incomes, thus being able to indulge in luxuries like diamonds, etc?

Nah. I'm sure that's just a coincidence. ;))

Some truth, but not really. My SO used to frequent forums for luxuries: expensive. a$$. cars.
People can prioritize their income to allow for luxury purchases.
I know many people with 100k+ cars that don't have their BA/BAs.
They don't have many responsibilities to pay for, and no school loans to pay off.. so their $ goes to whatever they want.

I used to be part of a forum that focused on another luxury.
Most of the users were women who weren't very educated at all.
They married rich, and were pretty.. dull. It was all about what their HUSBANDS do.

I work in the transportation industry, and there aren't many people who have a degree--both of my direct reports don't have degrees. The industry is very much about working hard and work experience, and the management does pretty well. I think it's because the industry isn't glamorous, so most people do "come up" in the industry. That being said, only of a fraction of the employees make over $50k (probably 1/8-1/4). Most employees are unskilled, uneducated laborers who make $12-$14 per hour.

I wouldn't say this is the norm--however, it is an example of an instance where people can make over $100k (legally) without a college education ;-)

Well, I never said that there is no way that people can beat the odds - as you say, that is not the norm, or some industries that still value experience over credentials although those are drying up at a clip. (I suspect if you were to check the job requirements NOW for the management positions in your industry that pay really well, they have probably changed and no longer allow an advancement path that doesn't require a degree of some sort.) I just question the assertion that there are "many" people in the US without higher education who are making loads of money. People are prone to trot out what they see and how they interpret that regardless of whether it is correct or not, as far more prevalent than it actually is.

For the record, I work in/around the transportation industry too, and the educational requirements I see are quite stringent. But I suspect we may be in different arenas...

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Rosebloom|1353852371|3315000 said:
MFA

I too loved school and did very well but I'm surprised to find that I'm happy to be done! Well, not totally done. I'm definitely going to culinary school at some point in my life. I love to cook and it would be such a joy to really become a master.

I want my MFA! I'm actually starting the process of applying for a masters program in creative writing. I want to go back to school so badly! (Not something I ever thought I'd say.)

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Begonia|1353876621|3315186 said:
Masters.

(Landscape Architecture)

Do you mind if I ask what country you're in? BF got his BA in Landscape Architecture (also, can you do an English major a favour - is it supposed to be capitalized? He says yes, but I wouldn't caplitalize philosophy or anthropology), and he's working on getting chartered now. He's working hard, but he absolutely loves it. I just don't know if him getting/needing a Masters is something we'll need to think about in the future.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Octavia|1353880756|3315224 said:
I have a J.D. and would love to do a master's in something...just not sure exactly what. Ideally, it will be something that will help me transition out of being a lawyer at some point (although I enjoy my current job, I probably won't do it forever and I've discovered that I don't really want to go into traditional "lawyering") but will allow me to do something really cool in combination with my law degree. I just keep waiting for inspiration to strike, though, since I don't want to spend time and money on another degree only to discover that it wasn't the right one. Also, I don't want to quit my job to go back to school, and a lot of programs I find interesting aren't really adapted for working people. In the meantime, I like to take non-credit classes at local community colleges in various subjects I find interesting -- it's so much less pressure (and so much cheaper!) than being in a degree program. :))

Begonia|1353876621|3315186 said:
Masters.

(Landscape Architecture)

That sounds awesome!

Octavia-are you at all interested in bioethics? I work in the bioethics/regulatory affairs field, and there are a decent number of JDs. If you're interested in research/medicine it could be a good fit. Most have a JD as well as a master of bioethics.

To the original topic, I have a BS in psych and am halfway through my master of bioethics.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Octavia|1353880756|3315224 said:
I have a J.D. and would love to do a master's in something...just not sure exactly what. Ideally, it will be something that will help me transition out of being a lawyer at some point (although I enjoy my current job, I probably won't do it forever and I've discovered that I don't really want to go into traditional "lawyering") but will allow me to do something really cool in combination with my law degree. I just keep waiting for inspiration to strike, though, since I don't want to spend time and money on another degree only to discover that it wasn't the right one. Also, I don't want to quit my job to go back to school, and a lot of programs I find interesting aren't really adapted for working people. In the meantime, I like to take non-credit classes at local community colleges in various subjects I find interesting -- it's so much less pressure (and so much cheaper!) than being in a degree program. :))

Hi Octavia, have you considered a masters in business administration? That could be extremely helpful in your field. My dh has a JD and an MBA and has done various things throughout his career- not just law. It is a useful and versatile degree. I think you can do it while working as well.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a BA in Psychology and Sociology (single degree, double major). My Masters in Social Work is in progress. I'm about halfway through! I'm considering a PhD after, but not sure in what.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Haven, Madelise, and Zoe! I am very excited but dreading the job search.

OneFifty

Shiny_Rock
I have a BSBA in Accounting and a MBA. I am also a CPA (certified public accountant).

Phoenix - I'm also an accountant and my husband is an attorney. What a coincidence!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
ksinger|1353894507|3315406 said:
Thirty percent of the US population has a bachelor's or higher, yet here on PS, the respondents to this question indicate 80 percent fit that category.

Pretty much as I've always suspected - PS is not a good cross-section of the population. Not that it took any great intellect to figure that out of course.

I have a BS in management. Considering that it's management, the BS is apropos. So naturally I now work in IT.
My husband would adore having a masters in economics - his love affair with it goes way back, but he hates math AND in this part of the world, they pay neither during nor after, for a teacher to get advanced degrees in their subject or anything related, so it truly is money that can never be recouped, in teaching at least. Sad but true.

It is also who is responding. I would suspect those with higher-level degrees are more likely to discuss their educational background than those who barely made it through HS! lol

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1353946907|3315685 said:
Thanks Haven, Madelise, and Zoe! I am very excited but dreading the job search.

Congrats, Tacori!

I have an AA in Accounting and then decided to go back to school and have 50-70 additional credits all in anthropology, sociology, archaeology, pottery, art history, and geology classes that I took after I concluded accounting wasn't for me (not sure on the exact credits...I'd have to hunt down my transcripts...took about 15-18 credits X four quarters in various subjects that were of interest to me) . Then DH and I decided to have kids and I didn't continue from there. Not sure what I am going to do now that my kids are nearing middle school!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1353948080|3315693 said:
Thirty percent of the US population has a bachelor's or higher, yet here on PS, the respondents to this question indicate 80 percent fit that category.

Pretty much as I've always suspected - PS is not a good cross-section of the population. Not that it took any great intellect to figure that out of course.

I have a BS in management. Considering that it's management, the BS is apropos. So naturally I now work in IT.
My husband would adore having a masters in economics - his love affair with it goes way back, but he hates math AND in this part of the world, they pay neither during nor after, for a teacher to get advanced degrees in their subject or anything related, so it truly is money that can never be recouped, in teaching at least. Sad but true.

It is also who is responding. I would suspect those with higher-level degrees are more likely to discuss their educational background than those who barely made it through HS! lol

That's why I made a poll, though, so people don't have to rat themselves out. :))
I barely made it out of HS-- I failed most of my junior and senior years, and it took me 5-6 years to complete my AA.
I'm not smart at all.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
madelise|1353950994|3315717 said:
MC|1353948080|3315693 said:

That's why I made a poll, though, so people don't have to rat themselves out. :))
I barely made it out of HS-- I failed most of my junior and senior years, and it took me 5-6 years to complete my AA.
I'm not smart at all.

Being good at school is only one kind of smart.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I have a BA in English/creative writing and my MLIS (Master of Library and Information Science). I am not a good promoter of going to library school, though. The job market is terrible. I often see job postings for which I am not qualified because I don't have experience in x, y, and z, but they are paying $5-10k LESS than my original starting salary. :roll: I got lucky, right place-right time kind of thing. My sister got the brains in the family, though--she has her BA in Communication Disorders and her MA in Speech Language Pathology.

My DH is thinking about going back to do a master's degree in clinical social work or marriage & family therapy (either MCSW or LMFT) which I am kind of dreading, though he has been a youth counselor for four years in residential treatment so he knows what he's getting into. Those with counseling degrees, Lil Misfit, Tacori, etc., I am curious--so many job listings have multiple qualifications listed, does it really matter which degree you have? He could do either program locally (we live about 10 blocks from a university) but it seems that MCSW is more credits so takes longer, requires full-time attendance and he wouldn't be able to work even part time because of the clinical hours required, while LMFT is a shorter program, can be done part-time since they limit classes to two or three days per week, and far fewer clinical hours.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1353927578|3315578 said:
Dancing Fire|1353909085|3315516 said:

Pretty much what I suspected. They aren't working for those fun things then, are they? If mom and dad are able and willing to subsidize lazy kids, that puts a very different spin on how a bunch of apparently non-degreed people are living the high life. Math is a harsh mistress: they sure as heck aren't doing it solely on a college-dropout salary, and if they were truly smart and motivated, they wouldn't be spending mom and dad's money hanging out in the coffee shop, they'd be asking their well-heeled mom and dad for start-up money for a business.

The ones I know work. That's why I said "near 100%" of their salary goes to fun things. They only don't have to pay for rent, since they live at home. I was only pointing out that I see a lot of people with nice cars at boba shops--- I don't know them, so I can't say what they do or don't do.

Whenever anyone I know talks about wanting to move out, and they have normal families, I always push them to stay at home. Here in SoCal, it's RENT that takes the bulk of your take home pay. In my area, it costed us $1800 to rent a 1 bedroom apartment last year. If one can save that $1200 + utilities and other living expenses.. It doesn't take long to save up quite a chunk of money to buy whatever you want. :)) Put things on credit card, or loans.. pay it off slowly.. whatever tactic they have. When SO and I moved back to our family homes, we counted that we spent 10k just on rent and utilities.. near 20k if you counted other living expenses and furniture.. for only 7 months! That 20k could have very well been a down payment on a nice car :wacko:

I'd like to share stories that are closer to home, but I can't due to privacy of others. There are people out there who make a LOT of money, who do not need higher level degrees. I know a good handful of them, and they're all around my age (25). Actually, I would even say the majority of the kids I know don't even use their degrees since they were all part of the bunch that went to college "because it's the right thing to do". That BS in Biology? Null in the field of fashion blogging. SO's BS and MS in electrical engineering are completely void in his marketing ventures. I truly believe that, with passion and hard work, people are able to do what they like to do for nice pay, without a degree.

I remember reading an article written in response to Occupy. It was discouraging HS kids to go to college "just because". Degrees don't mean you get high pay; lack of degrees don't mean you don't get high pay. Unless your degree is necessary, IE for a specific niche of a job that requires a degree, the overall attitude in response to all the people who have crazy student debt and no employment is for kids to skip college.

I get that this isn't 100% that people can be successful without a degree, but it also isn't 100% that people will be when they do have one. I hate that the social attitude is that people HAVE TO go to school to make money. I hate that, while I was in charge of hiring, I saw a bunch of resumes come through with BAs in fields that don't really do anything for the person.. and here they are applying for a $9/hr job, with a student loan that will take years or even decades to pay off. I hate it when I hear people talk about their 18 year old children, and how they're enrolled in such&such expensive school without a major. Why not let these kids take time off academia to work? To figure out what they want to do before they end up with a BA for a field they can care less about?

Ooops. Here Madelise goes with another rant. I talk a bit much :naughty:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a bachelor's in English, a master's in Finance, half of a law degree (never finished) and I'm taking additional graduate level accounting classes now so I can fulfill the requirements to sit for the CPA. That will leave me 2 classes short of a master's in managerial accounting, so I might as well finish that too!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results