shape
carat
color
clarity

EC''s ..show me some LIFE!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
YES, YES.....
IS THAT NOT ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS???
I can't believe she teased us with that shot and has not been back! I"m dying for more... FASHIONVICTIM, PLEASE come back!
emwink.gif
We need you and your mom!
THAT is the exact type of EC I love....isn't that magnificent???

THANKS SO MUCH FOR POSTING IT FOR ME!

samii

Rough_Rock
I have a Crisscut Emerald ring with a RB halo and it SCREAMS!!! I have had comments from people that noticed it across the room, and today my fiance was playing with it as the light from it was reflecting off the roof and the walls of the plane on the flight home...

I am in love with the contrast between the emerald and rounds, but know everyone is different. If I can capture it in a photo I will, otherwise you can see it here...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/presenting-my-new-crisscut-emerald-e-ring.76366/

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
SAMII.... really beautiful and different.... I''d love to see pictures of it SCREAMING...

Question for administrators: is there a reason why PS doesn''t allow video clips? Stills just don''t do these gems justice!
emteeth.gif

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
samii....
what size ring are you????
your set, btw, is gorgeous....love the whole stacked set!

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/7/2008 2:36:24 PM
Author: staci76
Date: 4/6/2008 8:21:54 PM

Author: NewEnglandLady

You should check out the fire thread (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-fire-thread.77649/), there are many lively emerald and asscher cuts in that thread.

I absolutely love the fire in a step cut--I notice that I do get some ''sparkle''-type fire in the windmills in my stone, but I really love the bold flashes I get in my steps. When the light is hitting the steps just right, you get very large flashes that extend the lenght of the step, so they can be several millimeters long.

This is so true! I love it when I catch my ring doing this. Here are a couple pictures of my emerald cut that I already posted in the fire thread. Emerald cuts definitely have fire, it''s just a little different than what you get wtih a round diamond...

Stacy, I keep coming back to this picture...what a little stunner!! It''s so crystal clear, like a pool of water...I love it. Yum!

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/7/2008 5:55:38 PM
Author: decodelighted
I''m here! I''m here! (ears=burning) Yes, I am a step-cut lover ... and my ER is a square emerald (asscher-ISH) ... but my opinion is: you kinda have to love them. I mean, accept no substitutes love them -- because they are COMPLETELY different than what MOST people think of as ''diamondy''.

What I love about them is the OPPOSITE of what most people want in a stone -- I love its SUBTLETY. (And, yanno .. its icy optics and angular intrigue).

The fact that you''re looking for pictures that prove its beauty makes me worry that you won''t actually like one in real life. Day to day. That you may like the *idea* of it (elegant, sophisticated, understated etc etc) but that once you have it all you''ll see are the drawbacks -- the negative comparisons to EVERY OTHER CUT out there.

Frankly, even if you get a stunner of an EC ... ideally cut & full of ''personality'' ... IMHO your friends are gonna be all MEH about it. They won''t ''get it''. So if others opinions are at all important to you ... I''d pass on an EC.

They tell writers & actors & artists of all kinds ... if you can possibly do ANYTHING ELSE, do it. I''d say the same about EC''s. If you can TOLERATE any other cut ... do it. If you can''t -- no amount of dodgy pictures or unmoved friends will keep you from the EC you crave.
2.gif

Deco - while I can certainly appreciate your insight, I''m not sure I agree about the "MEH" factor. Even though about 80% of the people I know have rounds (and most of the rest have princess cut), since I got my EC 11 months ago, people STILL talk about how much they love it (and it''s not an ideal cut, either). People, I think, are so used to seeing rounds and princess cuts, that a step-cut is unusual and different and calls attention to itself for its uniqueness. So while I can agree that the kind of person who needs "bling" and "sparkle" out of their diamond may not be happy with a step cut, it doesn''t take a lot of deliberation to know you want an EC. It''s a love affair kind of thing...if you see one and your heart flutters and your mind shifts toward that icy pool of light, then it''s all over and you''ll never be happy with a RB.

staci76

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you tberube. I didn''t realize that I captured the flashes in that picture until I actually saw it. I end up taking so many pictures of my emerald cut diamond trying to capture the broad flashes of light we always talk about and this is probably the only one that turned out...
3.gif

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/8/2008 6:10:46 PM
Author: tberube

Deco - while I can certainly appreciate your insight, I'm not sure I agree about the 'MEH' factor. Even though about 80% of the people I know have rounds (and most of the rest have princess cut), since I got my EC 11 months ago, people STILL talk about how much they love it (and it's not an ideal cut, either). People, I think, are so used to seeing rounds and princess cuts, that a step-cut is unusual and different and calls attention to itself for its uniqueness. So while I can agree that the kind of person who needs 'bling' and 'sparkle' out of their diamond may not be happy with a step cut, it doesn't take a lot of deliberation to know you want an EC. It's a love affair kind of thing...if you see one and your heart flutters and your mind shifts toward that icy pool of light, then it's all over and you'll never be happy with a RB.
I have to say that I am a convert to ECs for this very reason. I came looking first for a flashy RB, but that got boring really quickly. To me they all look exactly the same once ideally cut! I never want to see another arrow again!Then I found OMCs and OECs...that made my heart beat a little faster! I realized I loved "chunky" facets and big bold flashes of light. I also loved the OEC for glistening like a dew drop (and still want some eventually). And I loved the antique OMC because of the maltese cross some of them displayed and I liked the elongated ones...then I realized it was the broad flashes and the symmetry of this "cross" that I liked and without it, some of them looked like golf-balls to me (don't ask, I just can't get the mental image out of my head when I see them now!!), so I fell for Asschers. But I didn't like the "square"ness of them and at the size I was looking for, it would not of looked any different than a princess on my hand...BUT THEN I saw an EC with the "chunkier" windmills, like described previously, and it was like falling into a mysterious pool of wonders and that was IT! I was HOOKED! I find them completely mesmerizing, like I could fall into them and get lost for hours....It's almost like when the sun hit's my BF's blue-grey eyes a certain way and he has to stop what he's saying to tell me that I'm not paying attention again!
31.gif
I can't help it, they're just so pretty!!

ETA: But I don't have an EC of my own....YET
28.gif
(my BF knows that's what I want without a doubt).

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
TBE...love your last post...
BLINGER...so well said...and I hope we BOTH GET THE EC'S OF OUR DREAMS. (THINK GOOD THOUGHTS. THINK GOOD THOUGHTS!)

I think my posts showing hesitation are getting me into trouble and may get me kicked out of the 'TRIED AND TRUE EC COMMITMENT CLUB' before I even get accepted...
emteeth.gif

I know that's my fault..
Let me explain.
I was told to pick my DREAM stone/setting...anything at all... and it took me awhile...and I went with the EC...

I KNOW it's what I want....but then AFTER I found my setting I found PS and THAT'S when I got in trouble! LOL... (it's also when my obsession with this site started!)
There's so much doubt about steps on here...that I started to get scared as I wait for my BF (the best ever) to find the stone that meets his criteria (size/quality, etc)...
PS can be a scary place for a lurker, ya know!! Nothing can cause doubt like TOO MUCH information. I've tried on EC'S and the broad flashes are blinding....(I"ve also tried on dead ones that give EC's a bad rap.)
I thought the broad flashes WERE BLINGY until I found PS and discovered EC's aren't 'blingy' at all and, according to those 'in the know', won't satisfy 'bling needs' over time.
So, I'd go back and try on some wonderfully cut EC's again and think, "Nope, don't know what they're talking about. I ADORE steps. Not only do I think they are architectural masterpieces, I actually DO think they can be BLINDING."
That's where all the confusion came in...and that's why I asked for all the pictures showing it...
I also thought more pictures would simply be FUN. I'm only a newbie, but I don't think EC'S get nearly enough stage time for such a large forum filled with SO MANY DIAMOND CONNOISSEURS...(NOT TO MENTION SOME OF THE NICEST PEOPLE ANYWHERE.)
I also apparently have too much time on my hands....aarrgghhh...

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I love reading everyone's insights as to why they love the EC. What I love about it is that I can see every individual cut if I try. When the jeweler showed DH my finished ring, he said "This ring doesn't hide anything" - he was referring in part to my setting, but the stone is very much the same way. You can't hide anything in those linear cuts - the EC is what it is. When we saw rounds and cushions and radiants, DH and I felt like facets were kinda chaotic. Don't get me wrong, I love those cuts (and would love a sparkly round RHR some day!), but the chaotic sparkle just didn't speak to us for the e-ring.

ETA: GemAllogist, what setting have you picked out?? Do you have pics saved?? Would love to see!

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
thanks for asking, EL!
Well, this is my first attempt at a pic post...so here goes...let's try this..and see how it goes.
This is one of the pictures I sent for the basis of my setting...

dialadiamond.jpg

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
oh my gosh...I did it...I posted a pic..yippee!

although... that stone in the pic is mega stuff-dreams-are-made-of huge..and I have no idea what size mine will be...but you get the idea... EC, ANGLED TRAPS

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Ohhhh, that''s GORGEOUS! Very classic.

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much, EL! That means a lot to me! I''m a ''classic'' gal...but this really ''does it for me....
the setting is classic...the EC is elegant, yet very different around my parts...it''s the perfect combo for me...
THANKS!

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
btw, EL..
I also think this setting should allow for significant real estate coverage ...i''m thinkin'' ICE, ICE BABY!!!!!!

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/8/2008 10:25:48 PM
Author: Elmorton
I love reading everyone's insights as to why they love the EC. What I love about it is that I can see every individual cut if I try. When the jeweler showed DH my finished ring, he said 'This ring doesn't hide anything' - he was referring in part to my setting, but the stone is very much the same way. You can't hide anything in those linear cuts - the EC is what it is. When we saw rounds and cushions and radiants, DH and I felt like facets were kinda chaotic. Don't get me wrong, I love those cuts (and would love a sparkly round RHR some day!), but the chaotic sparkle just didn't speak to us for the e-ring.

ETA: GemAllogist, what setting have you picked out?? Do you have pics saved?? Would love to see!

Well-said. Chaotic. That's the perfect description of why I don't desire really brilliant or crushed-ice diamonds for myself. I cannot imagine wearing a hearts and arrows perfectly cut RB!!! I just couldn't do it! Too rigid! And it's not that they are not beautiful, they are...but it would be like putting me in a bunny suit. Just not natural. I like to see the facets, not just the light they bounce around. It's almost like you can't see a RB...all you see is light. Not that it's a bad thing - it's precisely what RB lovers go for. It's just not me.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Anybody have pictures of a "dead" EC up against a good one? One of the only EC''s I''ve ever seen IRL is my own, and any others were way out of my league. I suppose I still don''t exactly know what a "dead" EC even looks like.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/8/2008 10:24:15 PM
Author: GemALLogist
TBE...love your last post...

BLINGER...so well said...and I hope we BOTH GET THE EC''S OF OUR DREAMS. (THINK GOOD THOUGHTS. THINK GOOD THOUGHTS!)

I think my posts showing hesitation are getting me into trouble and may get me kicked out of the ''TRIED AND TRUE EC COMMITMENT CLUB'' before I even get accepted...
emteeth.gif

I know that''s my fault..

Let me explain.

I was told to pick my DREAM stone/setting...anything at all... and it took me awhile...and I went with the EC...

I KNOW it''s what I want....but then AFTER I found my setting I found PS and THAT''S when I got in trouble! LOL... (it''s also when my obsession with this site started!)

There''s so much doubt about steps on here...that I started to get scared as I wait for my BF (the best ever) to find the stone that meets his criteria (size/quality, etc)...

PS can be a scary place for a lurker, ya know!! Nothing can cause doubt like TOO MUCH information. I''ve tried on EC''S and the broad flashes are blinding....(I''ve also tried on dead ones that give EC''s a bad rap.)

I thought the broad flashes WERE BLINGY until I found PS and discovered EC''s aren''t ''blingy'' at all and, according to those ''in the know'', won''t satisfy ''bling needs'' over time.

So, I''d go back and try on some wonderfully cut EC''s again and think, ''Nope, don''t know what they''re talking about. I ADORE steps. Not only do I think they are architectural masterpieces, I actually DO think they can be BLINDING.''

That''s where all the confusion came in...and that''s why I asked for all the pictures showing it...

I also thought more pictures would simply be FUN. I''m only a newbie, but I don''t think EC''S get nearly enough stage time for such a large forum filled with SO MANY DIAMOND CONNOISSEURS...(NOT TO MENTION SOME OF THE NICEST PEOPLE ANYWHERE.)

I also apparently have too much time on my hands....aarrgghhh...
Don''t worry, sweetie. I never doubted you.
2.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
No comparison pics, but here''s one on ebay: Emerald Cut E-ring Perhaps it''s the photographer''s skills, but this guy looks really, really dull and lifeless.

The only place where I could really see IRL that the EC wasn''t speaking was Zales - but I don''t know if they even offer a solitaire anymore (their 3 stone looks much more lively since it has princess cuts in the band, I think). Even under those jewelry store lights, I saw pretty much no flash to it - the ones I saw were just kinda dark and dull - and I prefer my EC to be on the fatter side (mine is a 1.25), which chain maul stores tend not to carry. To be honest though, I don''t think ECs look that fab in the typical dark jewelery store anyway - if I creep into the maul stores, it''s like my stone decides to cower in the icky light. Where we bought my ring, there was lots and lots of natural light streaming in, and I think my stone is really at its best when it''s outside in the sun - OH or at church with the colored lights from the stained glass windows (total best).

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
THANKS, TBE for not doubting me, ha!!!
emwink.gif

In terms of dead stones, I think EL is right...some of the mall chains have examples with very little pop... I think that''s why when you say to people that you love to see the steps, they think you are sacrificing everything else to see the steps...because, if they''ve ever seen an EC at all...there''s a good chance that it was one that just lied there flat.
I saw one last weekend that was literally the ONLY stone in the case that did NOTHING...and I wanted to scream. "NO, that''s not what an EC does!!"
Fortunately, I know better and would go nowhere near that stone...

I like fatter EC''s too... and I think the traps on the side are gonna be fab!!! I have to stop or the waiting is going to kill me!

darling

Shiny_Rock
This ring belongs to Eva Longoria, and it is one fabulous stone. I can only imagine what it does in real life.

Eva0000000002[1].jpg

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/9/2008 1:20:31 PM
Author: Elmorton
No comparison pics, but here''s one on ebay: Emerald Cut E-ring Perhaps it''s the photographer''s skills, but this guy looks really, really dull and lifeless.

The only place where I could really see IRL that the EC wasn''t speaking was Zales - but I don''t know if they even offer a solitaire anymore (their 3 stone looks much more lively since it has princess cuts in the band, I think). Even under those jewelry store lights, I saw pretty much no flash to it - the ones I saw were just kinda dark and dull - and I prefer my EC to be on the fatter side (mine is a 1.25), which chain maul stores tend not to carry. To be honest though, I don''t think ECs look that fab in the typical dark jewelery store anyway - if I creep into the maul stores, it''s like my stone decides to cower in the icky light. Where we bought my ring, there was lots and lots of natural light streaming in, and I think my stone is really at its best when it''s outside in the sun - OH or at church with the colored lights from the stained glass windows (total best).

Aww darn, that link won''t work.

I haven''t ever seen an EC in a maul store. But I did go get my ring cleaned by my local jeweler today, and I literally hurt my eyes a bit, looking at it in the sun afterward. Those big flashes are BLINDING!!! I was thinking of this thread the whole time, and about how I STILL have yet to take sun pics of my ring!! But I totally agree with you, Elmorton, on the fatter EC''s. Mines a 1:32.

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
DARLING....GREAT, JUST GREAT...now I have to keep coming back and staring at Eva''s ring...something else to distract me. I looked at it so long, this is what I look like now:
emdgust.gif

TBE...don''t tease us like that! Get out there and take those sun shots! I''m actually glad you told me that about sun vs store lighting...can''t wait to see your blinding hazard outside!!!!!! Also glad that you were thinking of this thread today...yippee!!!

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
BTW...I love EVA's ring when she wears it alone MUCH better than when she wears it with that mega thick band she has. (you can find it in the celeb thread if you haven't seen it.) The band is gorgeous but that stunning EC can't share the spotlight that much....
her ering is breathtaking....

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
Hi ladies...
Hope you all had a great day. I''ve been super busy...sorry to leave the thread alone. I feel it''s my responsibility. lol...
I thought it was only fair to include FRAN FINE''S stunning EC in this thread since she hasn''t been around to contribute her wit on the topic... hope she doesn''t mind. This beauty is just too gorgeous to leave in the PS archives.

Awaken all the EC lovers you know....attach all your family and friends'' rings you can find...and, more celeb EC''s too...it''s a very IN celeb cut!!!!!!
LET''S KEEP THIS GOING....
emwink.gif

We''re under represented as it is.
(Can you imagine how passionate I''ll be once I actually GET my ring?????) ha!!!

fran ec.jpg

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
I found this on youtube and thought of your post! It's a pair of 1ct(ish) D asschers in sunlight.

linky
35.gif

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
not very clear cos I took these pics with my phone

Po Fire 1.jpg

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
It was really difficult to capture all the fire and colours as it was radiating all around the room and up the walls and on the ceiling and my co-workers were complaining of being blinded so I''ll need to take better ones when I''m not in work.

Po Fire 2.jpg

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
GEM - what stats are you hoping for your EC-Ering? Here''s a suggestion, get the biggest EC you can and go for a solitaire, then if you still want a 3-stone, add to it, that way you can have the best of both worlds.

IDREAMOFICE - I adore your EC and setting, I think its timeless and although I''m interested to see your new halo, I think what you currently have is perfect as it.

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
oh my gosh, PO...I"m BLIND! NOW THAT''S WHAT I''M TALKIN'' ABOUT!!!! YEESH!!!!!!!!!! That set is a bloody hazard!!!
emwink.gif

SOOO glad you took those...can''t believe they are off of a phone cam...wowza!!!!!

I agree with you on IDREAM''S set...can''t wait to see the halo...but can''t imagine it being more perfect than it is...it is sooooooo dreamy!

PO...I can''t ever say out loud what I''d hope for on my specs...I consider it bad luck. I mean, I"m a PS''er afterall, so I definitely have a dream
emteeth.gif
but my DBF is really handling that part...so I want to do whatever he wants in that department. Knowing him, though...i have nothing to worry about. He keeps telling me, "I want this to be your dream. I don''t want you to look at it and wish you had gotten something else or wish it were bigger, etc".... He gets true happiness out of making others dreams come true. He''s that sort of guy. I''m not worried about going for the three stone now... but I totally get your point...and it makes total sense...thanks for the thoughts...
and thanks for the pics!!!!!!!!
I want more...more...more...that thing screams...
your band is amazing too...
I''d love more of the band too!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results