shape
carat
color
clarity

EC question

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m thinking of getting an Emerald cut lab and I found two that look promising on the JA website. I’m new to lab diamonds and new to emerald cuts so I’m hoping someone with more knowledge can chime in.
I notice a large price difference between these two emeralds and I am curious about that as well. Can anyone let me know what they think of these two in general , why there is such a big big price difference and which is better. Thank you

blrg15

Rough_Rock
The 3.07 carat is optically boring. There is no contrast between the facets as the diamond rotates.
1675714642409.png

Compare that to the 2.75. Much more active and distinct facets. More eye catching
1675714733722.png

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
My inexperienced eye also likes the 2.75ct. better, for the same reason as above. Just ask someone about the crown height. I don't know if it looks a little shallow to me. Still might be good, but I've learned the crown heights also plays a part in fire and flashes.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you ladies for your guidance.
I think I’m leaning towards the 2.75.
@momofive Um not sure if they have the crown height stats.
I know nothing about EC. Lol!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Karl is the best. I've been looking for an EC for a couple of months and doing as much research as I can. There's plenty on You tube as well if you want to look at some videos.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl is the best. I've been looking for an EC for a couple of months and doing as much research as I can. There's plenty on You tube as well if you want to look at some videos.

I really like this one as well. What do you think of this one. Does it look better than the 2.75

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Again, Karl is your man for this, but things I would point out: the 3.05 has a culet. I don’t know how that effects things. Seems like most of the ECs I was looking at did not have one. I also like the table/depth ratio on the 2.75 as it’s close to 1 which I believe gives good light return. I don’t see as much black when it spins. There is just something crisp about it, but I’m not sure if it’s just the video quality is better. But, if you want to hit that 3ct. mark then the 2.75 might bother you. You have a 15 day return policy so I think the best thing is to find one, using all available experts, order it and see. I bought myself an ASET scope and it’s come in handy. I went to the Blue Nile store and they SR had never seen one before!! I also went on Amazon and bought tweezers, a ring “grabber stick” and a ring holder so I could put it on my finger like it was in a ring setting.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
2.75 looks like it has potential, the crown height is on the low side. The price looks high compared to some others there.
The 3.05 video has much better lighting but in the same lighting I think the 2.75 would win.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
WOW huge red flag: Have them verify that those are the right images and pictures.
They have a bunch of ECs up all with the same video and picture!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW huge red flag: Have them verify that those are the right images and pictures.
They have a bunch of ECs up all with the same video and picture!
I know the stock photo for all the emeralds are the same but I haven’t noticed the same videos for all the diamonds I’ve looked at.
Do you think I can do better on the price too? I like the 2.75 a lot but it does seem pricey compared to other similar sized ECs

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hard to say if you can do better, I can not link to stones being in the trade.
Tomorrow I should have more time to look into it.
If you want to hunt yourself and post links here I can review them.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hard to say if you can do better, I can not link to stones being in the trade.
Tomorrow I should have more time to look into it.
If you want to hunt yourself and post links here I can review them.

Thank you!
I found the following stones that I like. Can you tell me which of them seems to be the best in terms of cut. All are F or G and VS1 or higher.

And of course the original 2.75 that I like

Adding one more that I just found but it’s an H

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
3.09 2nd to 2.75
3.02 obstruction
3.01 obstruction
2.91 no video.
3.03 obstruction
3.21 obstruction
All of the ones marked obstruction are because they appear to over reacted to obstruction.
It may or may not be a real world issue, but unless there is more information it is what it is.....
They are all likely cut by the same cutter.
The 2.75 based on the limit information available has the most potential followed by the 3.09.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was google searching for these diamonds by report # to see if I could find more videos and the price range is well wacked. Well over $1000+ price difference between various sites on some of them which is a huge range considering the prices.
@Kim N @DejaWiz is this the normal or just a weird coincidence?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was google searching for these diamonds by report # to see if I could find more videos and the price range is well wacked. Well over $1000+ price difference between various sites on some of them which is a huge range considering the prices.

That's completely normal!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Yep, what Kim N said: pretty common to find a huge variation in prices for the exact same diamond amongst various sellers pulling from the same virtual inventory feeds.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
3.09 2nd to 2.75
3.02 obstruction
3.01 obstruction
2.91 no video.
3.03 obstruction
3.21 obstruction
All of the ones marked obstruction are because they appear to over reacted to obstruction.
It may or may not be a real world issue, but unless there is more information it is what it is.....
They are all likely cut by the same cutter.
The 2.75 based on the limit information available has the most potential followed by the 3.09.

Thank you so much! What does obstruction mean? Sorry. I’m such a newbie to labs and emeralds.

blrg15

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much! What does obstruction mean? Sorry. I’m such a newbie to labs and emeralds.

Obstruction are the dark areas seen when the diamond is facing the camera directly. When a facet is dark, it is reflecting whatever's directly in front of the diamond, usually a black camera lens in these videos. Here is an image with an example. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but too much obstruction means the diamond could look very dark when looked at head on, which is naturally one of the angles the diamond will be looked at the most.

diamond-photos.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That's completely normal!

Yep, what Kim N said: pretty common to find a huge variation in prices for the exact same diamond amongst various sellers pulling from the same virtual inventory feeds.

Thanks.
That is crazy, over $1000 swing on a $2k and change at the lowest price diamond. That is a huge % swing.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks.
That is crazy, over $1000 swing on a $2k and change at the lowest price diamond. That is a huge % swing.

Yup...finding diamonds is quite an arduous task!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Karl_K so I found the 2.75 on another website for less. They also sent me a video which they confirmed is the correct video.
Can you tell me what you think of it.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K so I found the 2.75 on another website for less. They also sent me a video which they confirmed is the correct video.
Can you tell me what you think of it.

Looks like it has a lot of potential.
Looks like it dances well with acceptable brightness and reasonable reaction to obstruction.
I'm not seeing any major crystal defects but the images/videos are not good enough to eliminate the chance of minor ones.
Over all its worth an in person look to see how it does in your environments.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update-
So I went to the Ritani website and the 2.75 increased a lot in price from the morning to this afternoon - $3080 to $4803
I decided to check for the same Diamond on a google search and found the same exact diamond for $2253. I chatted with a customer service rep and she offered me another 15% off my total purchase so I went ahead and made the purchase.
They have a 30 day return policy so if I don’t like it I can always return. Thank you everyone who responded!!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Update-
So I went to the Ritani website and the 2.75 increased a lot in price from the morning to this afternoon - $3080 to $4803
I decided to check for the same Diamond on a google search and found the same exact diamond for $2253. I chatted with a customer service rep and she offered me another 15% off my total purchase so I went ahead and made the purchase.
They have a 30 day return policy so if I don’t like it I can always return. Thank you everyone who responded!!
That is freaky in so many ways.. Less than 1/2 the price then a further 15% discount on top of that.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update-

That's wonderful! Looking forward to hearing how you like it in person.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is freaky in so many ways.. Less than 1/2 the price then a further 15% discount on top of that.
I know. And I linked her the Diamond in the ritani website to confirm it was the same diamond.
The website I purchased from was brilliance.com

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Makes me wonder what the profit margin is.

Tons...from previous comments by trade folks, LGD are anywhere from about 60-97 back off Rap depending on the material quality, grading lab used, and 4Cs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results