shape
carat
color
clarity

EC for mom, and recommended diamond appraiser in Toronto?

simurgh

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! Long time mostly-lurker here. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the experts here sharing their advice, and everyone sharing their beautiful jewelry ... Thank you!

I am hoping you can help with an upcoming purchase - it's a milestone birthday for my mom, and she's been through a bunch of rough stuff, so the kids and my dad are pitching in on a ring for her that she's always wanted but would never buy herself (likely an emerald cut solitaire). I have a lead on an estate one locally but I don't know enough about EC's to say more than its looks pretty good. (I've read all the threads and tutorials here, but somehow I'm not "getting it" in the way I've at least sort of gotten other shapes, plus I've barely seen any in person in any detail, and not with any cut info, so I haven't had any ability to build up a eye for them.

Whew ... Sorry, that was longer than expected. All that to say, does anyone know of a great appraiser in the Toronto area? I haven't had much luck with experts her in the past .... Mostly they can make ok color, clarity and carat estimates but don't know much of anything about cut (and certainly not the difference between good and great, or great and excellent) - eg I haven't met one yet who knows what asets / idealscopes are, and none can even describe why a cut is good or not aside from commenting on symmetry and polish. I've met great diamond folks in other places, and great appraisers for other things (eg vintage non-diamond jewelry) in toronto, so I'm sure there are people out there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (and if the estate piece doesn't work out I may be back with different questions!). Thanks everyone!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
Re: EC for mom, and recommended diamond appraiser in Toronto

For appraisers, have you tried GemScan?

Also: as someone who lives part-time in T.O., I would encourage you to widen your search parameters to include American vendors. Canadian prices (presumably given the size of the market) are super expensive even when one takes the exchange into account.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

simurgh

Rough_Rock

PintoBean|1463629801|4033417 said:
These came up for appraisers in Ontario when I looked under the "resources" tab:
https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers/ontario

Hi PintoBean! I've been following your IDJ threads - Miami in Nola is so gorgeous! IDJ may be my plan b if this ring doesn't work out. Thanks for the appraiser list. My challenge is that people could tell me pretty much anything about the cut and I wouldn't be able to follow it, so I'm hoping to find an appraiser recommended by PSer. I may end up with someone off the list I don't find a first-person recommendation.

Gypsy|1463632897|4033434 said:
Have you considered buying an ASET for yourself? They are very reasonable.

http://datlas.com/ideal-scope-store/

http://ideal-scope.com/using-aset-scopes/

Hi Gypsy! I hoped you'd stop by with all your EC expertise, thank you! I'm embarrassed to admit I own an ASET and idealscope already. I've spent enough time with a few shapes that I find I can pick cuts by eye, but ECs haven't been my flavor and I haven't looked at many in person and none through a scope. I'm still not great at using the ASET for set stones (which is what the estate one is), even for shapes I'm more familiar with - I haven't nailed getting the diamond the right "height" in the cone part, and the height seems to play a critical role in color return. Would trying to take a pic and posting it help, or would my lack of expertise make it useless?

simurgh

Rough_Rock

Fulvia|1463653102|4033475 said:
For appraisers, have you tried GemScan?

Also: as someone who lives part-time in T.O., I would encourage you to widen your search parameters to include American vendors. Canadian prices (presumably given the size of the market) are super expensive even when one takes the exchange into account.

Hi Fulvia! Thanks very much. I've seen one of their people in action but not in their GemScan capacity, and wasn't overwhelmed with them, but the website looks better. They have an optional service, "Firetrace" which "predicts the light reflecting properties of a diamond, with three properties meaured: brilliance, dispersion, and scintillation." This sounds like what I'm looking for, but the diamond is mounted so I'm guessing they're not likely to be able to do this. Is there anyone in particular there you'd recommend? I'm mostly looking for cut advice, as I'm reasonably able to get the color and clarity on my own.

Also, regarding retail prices I completely agree. This is an estate piece, and comparatively looks less expensive than similar things in the US (factoring in the exchange rate). Do you have take on how prices for estate items compare cross-border? If this ring doesn't work out, I'll probably be looking (exclusively) at US vendors. IDJ has had a couple great ECs come through recently, PintoBean's Miami included, so they were definitely on the list.

canuk-gal|1463686285|4033676 said:
HI:

Harold Weinstein Ltd.

http://www.hwgem.com/contact/

cheers--Sharon

Hi Sharon! Thanks so much for the recommendation. I've admired your eternity forever - that is a stunning ring! Thanks for the recommendation. Have you worked with them directly, and if so, anyone in particular (not to repeat myself, but anyone in particular on cut)? The only person I can find listed on the site is Anne Neuman, but it sounds like they have other staff too.

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock

Hi Simurgh,

GemScan did two appraisals for me in the pre-PS era (I dealt with Andy), and seemed reasonably competent. But the 'Firetrace' thing sounds like something of a gimmick to me, however, so I'd go with Canukgal's suggestion. Better still, I'd go with what Gypsy advises and buy your own ASET kit. I may do the same, in fact, as we're in a similar position. My BF and I will be buying a diamond soon (very soon, I hope!) and I'm currently stressing over where to get it - NYC (where I live part-time) or Toronto (where I'm from and my BF lives full-time). I'm wary of stone quality when working with non-PS vendors (how can they not know what an ASET is?!) but it would be much more convenient to get the stone in Canada (given that he is paying for it....). So having one's own ASET might be a great weapon in searching for a good stone here North of the border.

All that said, I'm crazy about JbG's antique diamonds and Erika Winters' settings PLUS I just had an awesome experience with IDJ - Yekutiel hooked me up with some beautiful 1.4 ctw studs last month. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

edited to say: Sorry that was TMI and off your topic!! But I recommend IDJ absolutely and look forward to seeing what you end up with! Please update us.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

simurgh|1463702586|4033760 said:
\

Hi Gypsy! I hoped you'd stop by with all your EC expertise, thank you! I'm embarrassed to admit I own an ASET and idealscope already. I've spent enough time with a few shapes that I find I can pick cuts by eye, but ECs haven't been my flavor and I haven't looked at many in person and none through a scope. I'm still not great at using the ASET for set stones (which is what the estate one is), even for shapes I'm more familiar with - I haven't nailed getting the diamond the right "height" in the cone part, and the height seems to play a critical role in color return. Would trying to take a pic and posting it help, or would my lack of expertise make it useless?

Okay. :lol: :lol: :lol: Fair enough. I admire your honesty. And totally get it.

If you have issues using it I don't know how successful a picture is going to be. But I'm a horrible photographer.

Height does play a critical factor and make it a bit harder on set stones.

EC's are not easy to shop for. And you are right, they take some experience to evaluate. I even have to really put on me "Step Cut" cap when I am seeing a bunch of them in a display. All that white light is distracting and next thing you know you are in a bling comma.

Is there any chance of buying from the US and having it sent to a Fed Ex location in Buffalo and then driving over to pick it up?

simurgh

Rough_Rock

Fulvia|1463707032|4033795 said:
Hi Simurgh,

GemScan did two appraisals for me in the pre-PS era (I dealt with Andy), and seemed reasonably competent. But the 'Firetrace' thing sounds like something of a gimmick to me, however, so I'd go with Canukgal's suggestion. Better still, I'd go with what Gypsy advises and buy your own ASET kit. I may do the same, in fact, as we're in a similar position. My BF and I will be buying a diamond soon (very soon, I hope!) and I'm currently stressing over where to get it - NYC (where I live part-time) or Toronto (where I'm from and my BF lives full-time). I'm wary of stone quality when working with non-PS vendors (how can they not know what an ASET is?!) but it would be much more convenient to get the stone in Canada (given that he is paying for it....). So having one's own ASET might be a great weapon in searching for a good stone here North of the border.

All that said, I'm crazy about JbG's antique diamonds and Erika Winters' settings PLUS I just had an awesome experience with IDJ - Yekutiel hooked me up with some beautiful 1.4 ctw studs last month. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

edited to say: Sorry that was TMI and off your topic!! But I recommend IDJ absolutely and look forward to seeing what you end up with! Please update us.

Hi Gypsy and Fulvia!

Fulvia, oh, how exciting (and pre-congrats :) :) :) :dance: )!! That was not tmi at all. I've spent a bunch of time in the states as well and get the cross border thing ... will you guys live in Toronto or NY? I have the same squeegies about non-PS vendors, particularly because ECs are such a mystery. I have read that freaking P3 facet article about 20 times (in addition to the rest of the EC articles) and cannot for the life of me figure out what I should be looking for. That's great that IDJ found you studs.

Gypsy, a US vendor is definitely an option, it's just this one ring/stone caught my attention, it's a great price and I thought it was worth investigating, but I'm starting to get the sense I'm going to be back here shortly looking for a stone from the US. I may try my hand at an aset pic ... I will need to google instructions. Do you just put the phone up to the eyepiece? You can probably sense why my scoping has not gone well to date!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

The important part is the light source. If you do not have the light box (if you do, then use that) you can use a flashlight ap and your phone's screen (not the flash, the screen) as a light source too.

I can't give you instructions because pictures like that aren't in my wheelhouse at all. Ask Kenny. He's the guru.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

canuk-gal|1463686285|4033676 said:
HI:

Harold Weinstein Ltd.

http://www.hwgem.com/contact/

cheers--Sharon

Hi Sharon! Thanks so much for the recommendation. I've admired your eternity forever - that is a stunning ring! Thanks for the recommendation. Have you worked with them directly, and if so, anyone in particular (not to repeat myself, but anyone in particular on cut)? The only person I can find listed on the site is Anne Neuman, but it sounds like they have other staff too.[/quote]

HI:

Thanks for the compliment!!

I have purchased Estate pieces that were appraised by Weinstein--jewellery and colored stones. And when I considered using Dupuis Auction for selling, they told me they used Weinstein to appraise certain items.

cheers--Sharon

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I'm going to 2nd Harold Weinstein. I've used them a few times in the past & found them to be reputable & acurate. I can't say the same for Gemscam. HW is at 55 Queen across from St.Mike's. If you decide to drive in there's a Green P lot right beside the building. If you subway it, get off at the Queen station & walk 2 blocks east of Yonge. Pretty easy to get to.

Judy

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Fulvia|1463707032|4033795 said:
Hi Simurgh,

Oh another GTA person! I have a few OECs and an AVR if you want to have a g2g-there's quite the collection of pieces from PSers in the area :)

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Oh another GTA person! I have a few OECs and an AVR if you want to have a g2g-there's quite the collection of pieces from PSers in the area :)[/quote]

I'm in! LOL

Judy
:)

simurgh

Rough_Rock

ccuheartnurse|1463906179|4034699 said:
Oh another GTA person! I have a few OECs and an AVR if you want to have a g2g-there's quite the collection of pieces from PSers in the area :)

I'm in! LOL

Judy
:)[/quote]

Ha! Me too (in for the GTG!)! I'm sorry to be slow, everyone ... It's a holiday weekend in canada and I have terrible Internet.

Judy and Sharon (again) thanks for weighing in. It sounds like Harold Weinstein is maybe the best bet. I was hoping that gemscan service would be a Sarin or similar but agree otherwise it's probably a scan.
Gypsy, I have a lightbox thingy from Davis atlas which is perfect for loose stones. It's still pretty good for mounted so I will probably try that. That said I'm start into think online from the US is likely to be the answer .....

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

simurgh

Rough_Rock

Hi Gypsy - thank you for that link, and I'm sorry I didn't see it until now. I've turned off my PS alerts somehow and need to get them back on. Nothing I'm looking at is that obviously dead in the middle, so I think I'm avoiding the worst of those issues, but I'm pretty sure I can't tell the difference in cut quality between average and excellent.

All - thank you very much for your help. I've gotten a little info on the stone and some pics, and have posted them in a new thread. I would love any advice or guidance!

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...rticular-stone-for-mom-pics-and-stats.223495/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results