Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

EC Blue Topaz - Need Setting Ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BunniBling

Shiny_Rock
Hi, color fans!

I''ve had this stone for about 12 years and am just now trying to decide how to set it. (Unfortunately, I no longer have exact carat weight or dimensions.) The stone appears to be a little "bottom heavy" and the facets look quite "vertical-ly" to the naked eye. However, it''s a beautiful color and I love it...

I apologize in advance for photo quality; I''m a newbie and this is my first pic post. Hope it works...

Any ideas on possible settings? I look forward to hearing from all you PS experts. TIA!

-J

BT01.JPG

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
hi, it looks great! I especially love the color in the 2nd pic..

are you thinking of using it for a ring?? do you have a preferance to yellow or white gold??

oh, and if you are interested, you could use a measuring tape to get a mm measurement of it...

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi BunniBling,

Wow! What a gorgeous stone! If you''re putting it a ring, have you thought about a split shank?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi BB,
Wow that stone is just amazing, love the rich blue color. Since it''s a large stone, I''d keep the setting on the simple side and let the stone be the star. A split shank setting would be lovely as Zoe suggested. What a fun project!!!!

BunniBling

Shiny_Rock
Sophie:

Yes, a ring for certain! I prefer WG over YG, but I do like to mix them also...

I love the idea of side diamonds; do you think the stone''s color is too light though? Hmmmm....

Thanks for taking the time to gather some ideas for me! PSers are the best.

-J

BunniBling

Shiny_Rock
zoe & Kaleigh:

So the color gets a thumbs-up? Hooray!! I bought this w/o seeing it in person. Based on what I paid, I''m guessing it''s nothing fancy-special, but as I mentioned the color in the pic I saw sucked me in...

I think a split shank would be pretty. With or with out diamonds, though? I asked Sophie her opinion about whether the stone may be too light for diamond accents. What do you think?

-J

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2007 8:49:02 PM
Author: BunniBling
zoe & Kaleigh:

So the color gets a thumbs-up? Hooray!! I bought this w/o seeing it in person. Based on what I paid, I''m guessing it''s nothing fancy-special, but as I mentioned the color in the pic I saw sucked me in...

I think a split shank would be pretty. With or with out diamonds, though? I asked Sophie her opinion about whether the stone may be too light for diamond accents. What do you think?

-J
Too light?? Doesn''t look that way to me. Diamond accents will be great with it. I have an aquamarine that is similar in color, given to me by my grandmother. It has 3 diamonds going down on each side of the ring. It''s such a big stone, and I have tiny hands so am giving it to my daughter. She''s 18 so will wait a few more years. She has nice long fingers.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, the color gets a HUGE thumbs up!
I'd be staring at the stone all day and never get any work done. **Sigh**

I like Kaleigh's idea of diamonds on the side of the shank (pave or channel set?). If it were my ring, I wouldn't put anything else with it (except pave or channnel set diamonds as suggested) and I'd let that blue baby speak for itself. I do think that a split shank would compliment the size of the stone.

BunniBling

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/26/2007 8:56:50 PM
Author: Kaleigh

ate: 3/26/2007 8:49:02 PM
Author: BunniBling
zoe & Kaleigh:

-J
Too light?? Doesn''t look that way to me. Diamond accents will be great with it. I have an aquamarine that is similar in color, given to me by my grandmother. It has 3 diamonds going down on each side of the ring. It''s such a big stone, and I have tiny hands so am giving it to my daughter. She''s 18 so will wait a few more years. She has nice long fingers.
So, so jealous...

BunniBling

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/26/2007 9:08:33 PM
Author: zoebartlett
Yeah, the color gets a HUGE thumbs up!
I''d be staring at the stone all day and never get any work done. **Sigh**

I like Kaleigh''s idea of diamonds on the side of the shank (pave or channel set?). If it were my ring, I wouldn''t put anything else with it (except pave or channnel set diamonds as suggested) and I''d let that blue baby speak for itself. I do think that a split shank would compliment the size of the stone.
I don''t own ANY pave pieces. Felonious, I know...

OK - you gave an inch, so of course I''ll ask for a mile...any ideas where I can source a split shank pave setting? And also, my stone may not be calibrated for use in a pre-made setting. Will this be a prob?

-J

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
Someone on here had a gigantic morganite ring with very tiny 1 pointer round diamonds curving around the northwest and southeast of the setting, I really like that idea.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.