shape
carat
color
clarity

EC 2.83 ct. Vvs

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
My mother bought her 2.83 EC vvs diamond in 1987. I have the jewelers appraisal from 1991.I would like to get it gia certified. Do I just bring it to them directly? What about insuring it while it is with them? Anything I should be aware of? I live in NYC.Thank you!!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would see if they take consumer drop off at:
New York,
United States of America

Gemological Institute of America, Inc.
50 W 47th Street, Unit 400
New York, New York, 10036

Hours: Mon - Th 8 a.m. - 6 p.m., Fri 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Phone:+1 212 221 5858
Fax: +1 212 575 3095
[email protected]
GIA.edu

Otherwise its better to have a dealer submit it for insurance and secure transport reasons. GIA is responsible for the stone while they have it.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock

AV_

Ideal_Rock
It is GIA's job to take in diamonds like this in NYC - WWW - you could submit & receive the stone in person. Insuring just for this occassion, I do not know anything about, would ask the lab. I tend to trust them with this much, but have never heard of what happens if the GIA might loose anything, in fact.

Reactions: Mlh

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is GIA's job to take in diamonds like this in NYC - WWW - you could submit & receive the stone in person. Insuring just for this occassion, I do not know anything about, would ask the lab.
Some locations only take diamonds from people with a trade account.
The CA office will take them in from consumers, I don't remember if the New York location will.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Some locations only take diamonds from people with a trade account.
The CA office will take them in from consumers, I don't remember if the New York location will.

We were writing in the same time. The respective page gives stern & clear instructions - to contact a representative... I recall it is possible to submit, but it has been a while.

Insurance is a mystery; GIA sounds safer than just about anyone else handling a stone, but luck does apply.

Last edited:

EC8

Shiny_Rock
The NYC location will accept stones from consumers; you may want to call ahead to understand the process and fees.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results