shape
carat
color
clarity

Ebay Help (Update)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I need some advice!

Following this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ebay-help.163771/

I offered $1075 through ebay. She countered at $1300 saying it is the lowest she can go. She will pay the sales taxes (~10%). Includes a no questions asked 14 day cash refund policy. Seller appears highly reputable. New retail on the item is about $4000, comparable from a PS vendor would be $2500 - $3000 (including taxes).

I can:

1) Counter again through ebay. Not sure its worth nit picking for a hundred bucks. In my head I was thinking $1200 would be a great price to pay.

2) Buy it through ebay.

She responded to my message saying I can come see the ring in person on Tuesday (Monday is a holiday), but in that case she prefers we just buy it from the store directly. She said the same warranty applies if I buy from the store as it would if I buy online. I would get this policy in writing if I want that route. So I can:

3) Go see it tuesday and buy in person. Benefit is seeing it first. But either way if I buy it I will take it to an apprasier to verify its quality and name brand.

What would you do?

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
will she still pay the taxes if you buy it in person? If you end up buying it from the store directly, she will not have to pay ebay fees. So you might be able to negotiate in person to the $1200?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

You have a great advantage of seeing the ring IRL. Moreover, you've done your homework. If you like it buy it.

cheers--Sharon

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The price and policies and conditions of the sale are the same if I buy on ebay or buy in person. She made that clear. I don't think she wants to jeopardize her PowerSeller status by breaking the rules.

My only concern about waiting until Tuesday is the slim chance that the ring will be bought by someone else via ebay before I see it!

She has a no questions asked cash refund policy either way.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I would go in person with $1200 cash....She'll appreciate saving on ebay/paypal/credit card fees. Never overlook the possibility of a cash discount.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I agree...there are fewer risks if you buy in person, especially since the terms are the same. The only thing that came to mind is the protection that ebay will offer if you pay via paypal. But, since you're sure you dealing with a legitimate business, I don't think you need to worry about it. Sounds like you have a great buy!!

I'm jealous of people that find deals on ebay...haven't been able to find anything that I'd be confident buying :(. Being able to see it is a great advantage!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Is this a designer piece? If so make sure. A lot of jewelry on ebay says "tacori like, similar to Jaffe, compare to .... You need to make sure you know exactly what you are buying. Even with no name manufactured items, they are not created equally. Her prices may be at a discount because they are not of the same quality as with more trusted vendors. You get what you pay for. There are no bargains on ebay anymore. Check out toolhaus.org to see her ebay record.

Since she also has her own website, do a search on it as well to see if there are any problems. Check BBB, jewelers groups, etc.

It is a plus that you can see the item in person. You will not have to worry about the usual ebay scams such as sending an inferior item or nothing at all. As far as her written guarantee, it is only as good as the person behind it. That is why I would not pay cash. No protection if something goes wrong afterwards, (setting falls apart, stone falls out). A credit card is better.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
ruby59|1312139684|2981159 said:
Is this a designer piece? If so make sure. A lot of jewelry on ebay says "tacori like, similar to Jaffe, compare to .... You need to make sure you know exactly what you are buying. Even with no name manufactured items, they are not created equally. Her prices may be at a discount because they are not of the same quality as with more trusted vendors. You get what you pay for. There are no bargains on ebay anymore. Check out toolhaus.org to see her ebay record.

Since she also has her own website, do a search on it as well to see if there are any problems. Check BBB, jewelers groups, etc.

It is a plus that you can see the item in person. You will not have to worry about the usual ebay scams such as sending an inferior item or nothing at all. As far as her written guarantee, it is only as good as the person behind it. That is why I would not pay cash. No protection if something goes wrong afterwards, (setting falls apart, stone falls out). A credit card is better.

Points taken. The item is designer and comes with a lab report on the diamond issued by the designer. Also, I will verify its authenticity at the design house if they are willing. The price seems fair for the secondary market I think. It is not so low I raise my brows.

I think you are right about the cc payment and how it offers some protection. I prefer that over saving another $100 potentially.

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer ~ it seems like you've decided to see it in person. Yes? If I had that option, I definitely would also. Just fyi...PayPal no longer releases the funds to sellers until the Buyer leaves positive feedback for them; so the risk is minimal, but I suppose one would still have the hassle of fighting w/the seller, ebay and paypal. Can't wait to see the ring!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
SparklyOEC|1312140917|2981171 said:
Dreamer ~ it seems like you've decided to see it in person. Yes? If I had that option, I definitely would also. Just fyi...PayPal no longer releases the funds to sellers until the Buyer leaves positive feedback for them; so the risk is minimal, but I suppose one would still have the hassle of fighting w/the seller, ebay and paypal. Can't wait to see the ring!

No that is not entirely true. A link from ebay below. Ebay might hold the funds on a new seller or someone who is selling in a high fraud area (cell phones, computers) or a seller who has had problems in the past, but it is not true in all cases.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/payment_hold.html

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
ruby59|1312143173|2981184 said:

No that is not entirely true. A link from ebay below. Ebay might hold the funds on a new seller or someone who is selling in a high fraud area (cell phones, computers) or a seller who has had problems in the past, but it is not true in all cases.

Ditto. Dimensions never leave feedback so that would mean the money is never released?? I just stoldvstuff on eBay and funds were released without feedback, but it eas like 30-50 dollars so that may be the difference.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dreamer, since it seems that you've decided to purchase this item, would you mind sharing the eBay store name (after you've purchased it of course)? I'd love to see what else they may have, but don't want to risk a vulture snagging your prize! :D Good luck with everything on the ring! :D

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1312135075|2981126 said:
My only concern about waiting until Tuesday is the slim chance that the ring will be bought by someone else via ebay before I see it!

She has a no questions asked cash refund policy either way.

Hey Dreamer, so things are moving along! Ok, here's what you can do (discuss it with the seller, it also falls within ebay rules) also it will protect you from someone else swooping it from you - go ahead and buy it on ebay now, do not pay until you go see it on Tuesday and decide for sure, then pay with CC so you can get it independently authenticated and still be protected if the seller changes her mind about returns.
The seller has the 14 day return policy so by buying it via ebay now, but potentially not going through with payment if you see it in person and decide nay not for me, you are just utilizing that said return policy.
Most sellers (myself included) allow a few days for payment after auctions close/are won anyway, I don't see this as any different.
She can tell ebay the purchase was for local pickup and was returned, she won't get seller fees.
Let us know how it goes!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maplefemme I will make that proposal in a counter offer. The statement re: payment is "All payments are due within 3 business days of purchase."

Cozy I will share when it is all said and done!

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1312149740|2981229 said:
Maplefemme I will make that proposal in a counter offer. The statement re: payment is "All payments are due within 3 business days of purchase."

I think it's reasonable and it falls within her payment requirement period, I'd accept it from one of my buyers if they were local, but that's me.

Good luck!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
ruby59|1312143173|2981184 said:

Ditto. Dimensions never leave feedback so that would mean the money is never released?? I just stoldvstuff on eBay and funds were released without feedback, but it eas like 30-50 dollars so that may be the difference.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No matter HOW you pay (but most especially if you pay in cash), IF you buy it in person get the refund policy in writing on your receipt. Just write it out yourself and have her sign it. Never can be too careful.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1312178380|2981462 said:
No matter HOW you pay (but most especially if you pay in cash), IF you buy it in person get the refund policy in writing on your receipt. Just write it out yourself and have her sign it. Never can be too careful.

Tis the plan!

I am going to see it in person on Tuesday. Will get refund policy in writing. The seller's B&M is a very large, old, and reputable pawn shop -- if that's not contradictory :cheeky: I think the risk is minimal but want to cover my tush of course. Will decide if I am comfortable buying off ebay at that time, and whether it benefits me. If I pay with me cc and have the refund policy in writing, seems like I have about as much protection as I would have on ebay anyways.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1312179150|2981469 said:
Gypsy|1312178380|2981462 said:

Tis the plan!

I am going to see it in person on Tuesday. Will get refund policy in writing. The seller's B&M is a very large, old, and reputable pawn shop -- if that's not contradictory :cheeky: I think the risk is minimal but want to cover my tush of course. Will decide if I am comfortable buying off ebay at that time, and whether it benefits me. If I pay with me cc and have the refund policy in writing, seems like I have about as much protection as I would have on ebay anyways.

Um. Frankly? More if your CC is a good one. Ebay plus Paypal can just be a HUGE blackhole of frustrating emails, FAQs, and paperwork if something goes wonky. I still buy off ebay but... if I had a choice, I'd buy in person every time, especially if I could get all the 'representations' in writing or get a 'no questions asked' return policy.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought it! It is awesome and what I have wanted for a long time. Got the receipt and return policy in writing. Paid with my credit card so have some protection that way.

I'll post a SMTB thread but I ended up getting a ring by Birks (high end Canadian retailer, call themselves the "Canadian Tiffany", though that is a stretch). It is a platinum semi bezel design with a .31ct G VS2 ideally proportioned diamond. Retailed for $4000. I got it for $1235 including taxes. I took it to Birks and they authenticated it. I am very happy!

Here is a picture!

babyring2dd.jpg

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
What a great find! Can't wait for photos!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
How cool! I remember you wanted an etoile-like ring back in your sidestone/earring thread. :appl:

Can't wait for pics.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh yay! :appl: i was following this thread and felt like it was a cliffhanger.... and i like how it's ended! what a great find dreamer! enjoy, it's beautiful!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring, Dreamer. I am so glad it worked out well for you.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Great score, Dreamer! Glad it all worked out great :appl:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nice ring DD!!
Wear it in the best of health.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Nice!!!!! I had a feeling this was the style you would end up with!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks great, very classic and elegant. Congrats!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Amazing - beautiful!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks fab!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results