Easing my sadness with a new pearl

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Sweet iridescence willy wonka! that is scrumdidiliumtious!!! <3

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Frankly I think it should be drilled . It’s a small pearl and a cage will hide the fabulous colour. Plus rattling around in fixed metal isn’t going to do it good in the long run. I’d drill and use as a pendant. Get a lesser , but nice, for a bracelet dangle.!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs Do you have the pearl in hand right now?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are pics in "bad" lighting (I asked Andrew to show me what happens when the light isn't ideal, so this is the pearl looking "bad"). Basically in poor lighting it looks metallic gold rather than the multicolor metallic. Still super nice!
264489445_396457712168114_3382779130822676326_n.jpg

264931474_443806387371009_8301688907371218680_n.jpg
I do want to point out one thing... For others who might see this thread. I hope it's okay to do that here.

These photos are still quite flattering in terms of both lighting and angle. Neither show the pearl at its actual #worst. It's a beautiful pearl so worst is relative, but all pearls are little changelings!

1. It's cloudy outside and the second photo was taken in diffuse light (behind closed blinds). Both of these environments create a "pseudo-lightbox" - whilst overtones aren't highlighted in either photo, they aren't exactly being suppressed, either. Truly unflattering lighting can be achieved with (A) bright direct sunlight (not going to happen for a lot of people in December!) and/or (B) taking the photo with flash. Flash is actually extremely useful when judging pairs - it's the most unflattering-to-matching lighting type I've found, so it highlights disparities and you can judge how good a match is by how minimal the disparity is.

2. I will be forthright: All the vendor photos/video shared in this thread were taken from the perspective of the top of this paintjob (or very similar). We can see that this is how the pearl is oriented relative to the lightsource from the photos - and this camera/pearl/lightsource orientation is why the phone reflection looks so black/contrasty in all these vendor pictures.

1639438992822.png
To see body colour and to get a better idea of discrepencies between pearls you'll want to ask for photos with the bottom orientation - and be sure to specify that the camera shadow should not fall on the pearl being photographed!

Here are a couple of quick snaps I took for a friend a few days ago. This photo is from the top orientation:
1639439262705.png

And this photo is from the bottom orientation - taking care not to let the camera shadow fall on the pearls:
1639439296368.png

And in this thread I explain why configuration of pearl relative to camera and light source is SO important. That top orientation doesn't just flatter all pearls, it actually minimizes differences in luster/contrastiness between superp and mediocre pearls. It makes all pearls look fantastic!

I'm definitely not suggesting that folks request a series of photos with twenty degree variance like I took in that thread I linked. But if ALL vendor photos have been taken in basically the same way, then we know that that orientation highlights one characteristic (luster/contrastiness) at the expense of cataloguing other behaviours, and if you're working with a specialty vendor (ie. Not Takahashi!) then asking for additional photos taken in a different orientation is in my opinion a very reasonble request.

Last edited:

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow beautiful pearl. Can’t wait to see what you create with it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s a really pretty pearl and I hope you love it when you see it! But I did want to highlight the fact that it’ll look different - yet another face! - in sunlight or under flash. Pearls are just so hard to capture without a ton of photos, seeing in-person is 100% the best way to judge!!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @yssie !! Yeah, I am excited to see it IRL! I also should have been more clear about what I meant by "worst" lighting. I didnt mean "ugliest", but rather "worst for seeing multiple colors" since thats the overall look I want. I definitely should have chosen different words Haha

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning pearl!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its here and its magical. Andrew's pics were spot on and his video was perfect. I am particularly thrilled because I have yet to find any light where it looks "only gold" or "pure gold" , which is something I wanted to avoid.

My pics are terrible but I was attempting to show different lighting.

The pearl has either green or pink overtones depending on which side you look at.

Indoor room lighting, natural light from window behind/above me:
20211217_162344.jpg 20211217_162318.jpg

Against my dark blue/grey shirt
20211217_162303.jpg

Next to my baby blues from cees
20211217_162251.jpg

Next to a window (to my left) as the sun was going down. Next to a silver ring holder.
20211217_161032.jpg
20211217_161030.jpg

No natural light, just LEDs above me.
20211217_160959.jpg

Next to my 22k band 20211217_143926.jpg

I'm definitely leaning towars silver for the setting because I don't want it to look pure gold, and I think next to the 22k gold band is when it's the "most" gold

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Its here and its magical. Andrew's pics were spot on and his video was perfect. I am particularly thrilled because I have yet to find any light where it looks "only gold" or "pure gold" , which is something I wanted to avoid.

My pics are terrible but I was attempting to show different lighting.

The pearl has either green or pink overtones depending on which side you look at.

Indoor room lighting, natural light from window behind/above me:
20211217_162344.jpg 20211217_162318.jpg

Against my dark blue/grey shirt
20211217_162303.jpg

Next to my baby blues from cees
20211217_162251.jpg

Next to a window (to my left) as the sun was going down. Next to a silver ring holder.
20211217_161032.jpg
20211217_161030.jpg

No natural light, just LEDs above me.
20211217_160959.jpg

Next to my 22k band 20211217_143926.jpg

I'm definitely leaning towars silver for the setting because I don't want it to look pure gold, and I think next to the 22k gold band is when it's the "most" gold

Omg GORGEOUS!!! I want it!! I wanna eat it haha

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!! And I'm SO glad you love it!! I think "Magical" is about the highest praise a pearl could ever earn :love:

Something with three gold colours - white and yellow and pink - would be amazing!! Highlight both the purple and the green :halo:

What do you think of the Paspaley Kimberley collection? If you're still thinking about how you want to set it - you could also do a full bead bracelet with beads of other materials! Onyx, or clear drilled quartz, or even a dark wood with white and pink and gold beads...
1639791196863.png

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful.

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
Yay!!!! I have been waiting all day for your update!!! :D I'm thrilled you love it!

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
Would you describe the overtones as strongly colored? I've been on a fruitless quest for an amazing pearl with tons of different colors---I just need something fabulous!!

Or, does anyone else have other suggestions for one (or two) spectacular pearls??

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you describe the overtones as strongly colored? I've been on a fruitless quest for an amazing pearl with tons of different colors---I just need something fabulous!!

Or, does anyone else have other suggestions for one (or two) spectacular pearls??

Hmm. I'm not 100% sure how strong I would describe the overtones, but I can say that I haven't found any lighting where I can only see gold. So my guess is that it is "strong".

However, if you want a pearl with multiple overt colors (vs an overtone), I'd probably look at baroque or mabe Pearls. Despite my nightmare w the sea of cortez baroque jewelry, I've stayed on the lookout for loose pearls that I can get set locally. Found 3 on ebay from a trusted pearl vendor and took some pics w the new pearl. These have OVERT rainbow colors, but obviously it's a trade off bc they are mabes shapes and less lustrous. The gold pearl has MIRROR luster. Like I could see details of the room clearly in the reflection.

20211217_144215.jpg
20211217_144246.jpg 20211217_144224.jpg

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
Hmm. I'm not 100% sure how strong I would describe the overtones, but I can say that I haven't found any lighting where I can only see gold. So my guess is that it is "strong".

However, if you want a pearl with multiple overt colors (vs an overtone), I'd probably look at baroque or mabe Pearls. Despite my nightmare w the sea of cortez baroque jewelry, I've stayed on the lookout for loose pearls that I can get set locally. Found 3 on ebay from a trusted pearl vendor and took some pics w the new pearl. These have OVERT rainbow colors, but obviously it's a trade off bc they are mabes shapes and less lustrous. The gold pearl has MIRROR luster. Like I could see details of the room clearly in the reflection.

20211217_144215.jpg
20211217_144246.jpg 20211217_144224.jpg

Those are lovely! Would you mind sharing the name of the vendor?

Of all the pearls you've seen in the last few months which ones were most impressive? (Even if you ended up returning them.)

Thanks!

I am really excited about your new gold south sea!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are lovely! Would you mind sharing the name of the vendor?

Of all the pearls you've seen in the last few months which ones were most impressive? (Even if you ended up returning them.)

Thanks!

I am really excited about your new gold south sea!

To be fair, the only legit nice Pearls I've ever seen were in the past few months lol. I think definitely the babies from Cees are the most easily wearable, but not my favorites when compared to Andrew's or the sea of cortez ones.

I think the really high quality sea of cortez ones they hand picked for me were the most *wow* when I opened the box, which is why I was SO irritated and disappointed with the disastrous quality of the jewelry itself, and even sadder that they couldnt unset the pearls for me and send them back. The SoC I just bought from Ebay were from Druzy Design, but the 3 I got were the only AAA quality he had listed. I think the nicest one I got from him is close to the ones the pearl farm picked out for me. The other 2 from him are very nice, but not *as nice* in terms of the multicolors.

The pearl from Andrew is truly unique and definitely the highest quality pearl I've ever seen IRL. My guess is that 99.9% of people would prefer his to any of the mabes I had/have, but my heart is with rainbows so for me the mabes are my #1 (but its damn close between them).

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
To be fair, the only legit nice Pearls I've ever seen were in the past few months lol. I think definitely the babies from Cees are the most easily wearable, but not my favorites when compared to Andrew's or the sea of cortez ones.

I think the really high quality sea of cortez ones they hand picked for me were the most *wow* when I opened the box, which is why I was SO irritated and disappointed with the disastrous quality of the jewelry itself, and even sadder that they couldnt unset the pearls for me and send them back. The SoC I just bought from Ebay were from Druzy Design, but the 3 I got were the only AAA quality he had listed. I think the nicest one I got from him is close to the ones the pearl farm picked out for me. The other 2 from him are very nice, but not *as nice* in terms of the multicolors.

The pearl from Andrew is truly unique and definitely the highest quality pearl I've ever seen IRL. My guess is that 99.9% of people would prefer his to any of the mabes I had/have, but my heart is with rainbows so for me the mabes are my #1 (but its damn close between them).

Thank you---that is very helpful! Pearls are so hard to decipher online. Adding international shopping & communication into the mix and everything gets even trickier.

It is such a shame that you couldn't get your original SoC pearls. They really were beautiful.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie I love your thought about something w 3 colors of gold! I'm not a huge fan of that paspaley collection (I like it in theory, but in practice the only combo I really like is w the darkest wood). But I love that they are so creative in their designs! Spanning from more 'casual' to extremely fancy is a hard task, and they seem to have mastered it!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you---that is very helpful! Pearls are so hard to decipher online. Adding international shopping & communication into the mix and everything gets even trickier.

It is such a shame that you couldn't get your original SoC pearls. They really were beautiful.

Exactly! It's so tough. But definitely reach out to Andrew describing the types of things/colors you like. He is so honest, straightforward, and truly clear about the pros and cons of each pearl. I am consistently impressed w him in all of our interactions.

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
I will definitely keep that in mind, @lovedogs . Thank you & I hope you enjoy your amazing pearls!! :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will definitely keep that in mind, @lovedogs . Thank you & I hope you enjoy your amazing pearls!! :)

Feel free to contact me on LT If you ever want advise / info on SoC mabes. I'm certainly not an expert on most pearls like yssie, but have done an embarrassing amount of looking at those particular pearls haha.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s beautiful :) so glad you love it and it has found a good home!! Can’t wait to see what you decide to do with it

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
Feel free to contact me on LT If you ever want advise / info on SoC mabes. I'm certainly not an expert on most pearls like yssie, but have done an embarrassing amount of looking at those particular pearls haha.

Thank you, that is very kind! I very well may take you up on that offer! I love the SoC pearls but they are not the easiest to research.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results