shape
carat
color
clarity

Earring Studs in colored stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m thinking about getting some simple small colored stone studs to wear in my second ear hole.

I''ve done a search on this and haven''t found threads that talk about the size of the studs. I''m thinking that colored stones have more oommph than simple WG balls and so my colored stone mm size should be smaller than my WG ball to get the same size look.

What do you all think? I''m trying to find something nicely cut and colored at about 3mm. Is this just too small? Will I regret this size? I do have very small lobes.

Thanks, I''ve got to log off but I''ll check back this evening!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooo good thread Stone Hunter! I''ve been thinking of asking something similar!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
The tsav studs that I got from Barry are 3mm and I wear them every day and have since I received them. I think they''re the perfect size to put in and leave in.
1.gif
I''ll try and get some ear shots.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
ear shots...

close up

2009-10-26 002.jpg

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
further away

2009-10-26 001.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been wearing colored stone earring studs for decades. I think they are a great look. I like anything in the 5 to 7 mm range for studs located on the ear lobe, but I still have some 4 mm pairs. I don''t have a second hole, but I would think as long as the second hole studs were smaller than the first hole, they should look fine. For years my work involved speaking on the telephone, and 6 to 7 mm were annoying because they bumped on the receiver. Now with modern lightweight telephone headsets, the earring options are wide open, and I''m looking into the possibility of larger sizes.

I''ve picked up a couple of pair of 4 mm studs from Barry Bridgestock which should work well for you. I think they look a bit small for me, but I do love the pop of color you get from colored stones. Lately I''ve gone in the direction of setting somewhat larger stones into earring drops.

Barry currently has a pair of 3 mm opal studs for $35. You should be able to try the 3 mm size without breaking the bank to see how you like the look. I also picked up a pair of small brown diamonds a while back from Wink which would make awesome studs for the second hole, if I had one.
2.gif
Lots of possibilities here.
36.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My emerald studs are the same size as Brandy''s and work nicely in my back holes (but I never wear earrings in those anymore).

For my primary holes I have a pair of garnet studs that are about the same size as my ACAs - about 4.8 mm per stone. Those are a good size for the front. . .too big for the back.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Fabulous question, as I''ve been thinking about this as well. I actually tested out size using some CZ earrings I had at home (including some magenta colored ones), and found that I like it around 6.5mm. Over the last week I''ve purchased a 6mm apatite pair and a 6.15mm pink tourmaline pair, so I''m really hoping that''s what I''ll like in the colored stones.
1.gif

That being said, though, I''ve also started thinking about getting diamond halo earring jackets and I don''t know whether or not the size studs I''m looking at would end up feeling too humongous with a halo jacket. But I was browsing this thread and by the end of the first page they start posting pictures from further way (more like IRL, though most of the picts are celebrities) and I was surprised at how open-minded I was in regards to the bigger stones. Though admittedly there were a couple on there that were too big, even for me.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing everyone''s opinions on this!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Remember that coloured gemstones lose that intensity of colour as they get smaller in size. Since these are for 2nd ear holes, 3 mm seems reasonable. For the main hole, I prefer stones of at least 5 mm.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Um..what if you have 4 holes? Can they be all the same size or no?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/26/2009 12:12:28 PM
Author: brandy_z28
ear shots...

close up
Brandy

Those are great. I remember their thread. I think they might look a little bigger than 3mm because they are set in 6 prong settings. That''s why I''m thinking that having a 4mm stone would be too large for my second ear hole.

TFS!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/26/2009 12:26:21 PM
Author: Fly Girl
I''ve been wearing colored stone earring studs for decades. I think they are a great look. I like anything in the 5 to 7 mm range for studs located on the ear lobe, but I still have some 4 mm pairs. I don''t have a second hole, but I would think as long as the second hole studs were smaller than the first hole, they should look fine. For years my work involved speaking on the telephone, and 6 to 7 mm were annoying because they bumped on the receiver. Now with modern lightweight telephone headsets, the earring options are wide open, and I''m looking into the possibility of larger sizes.

I''ve picked up a couple of pair of 4 mm studs from Barry Bridgestock which should work well for you. I think they look a bit small for me, but I do love the pop of color you get from colored stones. Lately I''ve gone in the direction of setting somewhat larger stones into earring drops.

Barry currently has a pair of 3 mm opal studs for $35. You should be able to try the 3 mm size without breaking the bank to see how you like the look. I also picked up a pair of small brown diamonds a while back from Wink which would make awesome studs for the second hole, if I had one.
2.gif
Lots of possibilities here.
36.gif
See I was thinking that the 5mm to 7mm range would be good for the 1st ear hole (I like your term primary hole! LOL). But my earlobes are small and I think I''m probably 5mm to 6mm.

And I am thinking about the whole "earring charm" thing as an option too. But as you said that would work better for larger stones.

Thanks for suggesting Barry and Wink. Right now I''m just exploring the possibilities, and I bet there are other vendors that don''t even bother to post their small stones...

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/26/2009 12:38:33 PM
Author: MC
My emerald studs are the same size as Brandy''s and work nicely in my back holes (but I never wear earrings in those anymore).

For my primary holes I have a pair of garnet studs that are about the same size as my ACAs - about 4.8 mm per stone. Those are a good size for the front. . .too big for the back.
Sounds like your earlobes may be closer in size to mine. My .25 ct studs (.50 ctw) look pretty good in my primary hole and they are in a six prong setting. I swear the setting adds another mm visually. I tried on larger diamond studs and even the saleslady couldn''t see the point of going up in size -- I''d have to go way up for you to really see the difference. Like 1.5 tcw. And of course the cost difference!!
6.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks AustenNut 6mm to 6.5 mm must be for your primary holes. Right??

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/26/2009 2:10:27 PM
Author: packrat
Um..what if you have 4 holes? Can they be all the same size or no?
Saw that today. She had a hoop in her primary hole and then small studs all the same size in the other three holes. It looked good. I think anytime you get more than two holes in an ear you can do all the same size and it will look good. Had a friend with MANY more than 3 per ear.

But if you have the earlobe space I think you could have a larger stud in your primary hole and then put all the same size smaller studs into the other holes. Of course we need more photos in this thread. So if you have any please post them.
9.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I only have 3 holes in 1 side and 1 in the other right now, but my cousin who has a tattoo shop also does piercings. I''ve been wanting to do 4 holes in each so I could have bezeled cab birthstone studs for me, JD and each of the kids. Hmm..I may need to pursue the matter further!

Kinda OT..I haven''t worn earrings in years and have developed an allergy when I wear sterling earrings (well, I think they''re sterling anyway)..does anybody know if that Argentium silver that Julia works with would be an ok choice?? I''ve looked for stainless steel earrings but haven''t found what I want.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m thinking bezel colored studs by one of the esty artist
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
and I think 3mm would look fantastic, will look almost like 4-5mm stone (not bezel)

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SH- would you consider buying some small stones from multicolour.com? I bought my sapphire 2.5mm that way, and I really like them after bezelled even though they were pretty light color when I purchased them.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jeeeeeezzz...ok, I know I said after my ering and opal and 3 stone I''d probably have to be done..but, I''ll just tack on bezeled studs..and *then* I''ll be done. So shush now! Nobody give me any more ideas. Lets talk about something else..

Seen any good movies lately?? hahahaha

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
StoneHunter, yes, the 6mm stones are for my primary (and only) ear piercing. I just didn''t really the original post closely enough to see that we were really only talking about secondary piercings.

Packrat, Couples Retreat is a surprisingly funny movie if you''re looking for one in the theaters.
37.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehehe good, we''re thinking of seeing a movie for our anniversary in a couple weeks!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i know you''re looking for something small, but for some reason this popped up and thought they looked scrumptious
31.gif

if anything else maybe someone on PS could snatch this up for earrings...I ....must....resist....
39.gif

http://www.artcutgems.com/item.php?item_id=693&page=7

artcutgems square dt09.JPG

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Thats funny, D&T, I was having the same problem with these. Stone Hunter, are you by any chance blond? I always think red earrings with blond go well! Though perhaps 8 mm isn''t secondary hole material.

artcutoppbar.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2009 9:04:15 PM
Author: D&T
i know you''re looking for something small, but for some reason this popped up and thought they looked scrumptious
31.gif

if anything else maybe someone on PS could snatch this up for earrings...I ....must....resist....
39.gif

http://www.artcutgems.com/item.php?item_id=693&page=7
Last year when I was working on my Royal Rhodolite suite Link, Rick carried this material in 3, 4, 5, and 6 mm rounds, as well as in several other shapes and sizes. Gorgeous material. I had studs made from the 6 mm rounds, and they are bright and beautiful.

RREarStud4924.JPG

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hehee.. Novel--- I love those too
31.gif

FLy Girl- man... they sure are pretty! they look great on you! ok SH- [threadjack over]

hmmm,,, maybe I need to start on colored stone earring projects
31.gif
11.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/26/2009 6:15:39 PM
Author: D&T
SH- would you consider buying some small stones from multicolour.com? I bought my sapphire 2.5mm that way, and I really like them after bezelled even though they were pretty light color when I purchased them.
Yeah I would consider them or Simply Sapphires has some small stones listed. Or any other PS vendor. I don''t think I''d bezel the stones though. I really have small earlobes and I don''t think it would work for the second hole.

Do you have a thread for the 2.5mm?? I''d like to read it.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/26/2009 6:39:58 PM
Author: AustenNut
StoneHunter, yes, the 6mm stones are for my primary (and only) ear piercing. I just didn''t really the original post closely enough to see that we were really only talking about secondary piercings.

Packrat, Couples Retreat is a surprisingly funny movie if you''re looking for one in the theaters.
37.gif
Oh I''m happy to talk about primary ear holes too!! I think they are very important.
21.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
D&T and Novel

Both of those are great and I have looked at them many times. They just don''t fit what I''m interested in right now. Lovely stones though.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/26/2009 9:16:51 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Last year when I was working on my Royal Rhodolite suite Link, Rick carried this material in 3, 4, 5, and 6 mm rounds, as well as in several other shapes and sizes. Gorgeous material. I had studs made from the 6 mm rounds, and they are bright and beautiful.

RREarStud4924.JPG

Those are beautiful!! They are the perfect size for your ears. And interesting to know that he had other sizes. I bet alot of vendors have other sizes.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I just got my stones in and am going to have bunches of studs made. One set is 6mm, the other is 6.15mm. Here''s a shot of me holding up one of the 6mm stones and what it looks like.

AptatiteStudLook.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results