shape
carat
color
clarity

Martini Studs: Do They Look Smaller?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
35.gif
Hello!

Just got martini studs and having another pair in a 4-prong basket, wondered if anyone noticed a size difference due to the setting? Certainly the martinis show mostly diamond, but it sits soooo close to the ear that even with sizeable studs, I miss that side profile of a "stud." DH would call me nuts! LOL.

Looking straight on, it looks BIG. But from the side and in photos, it's almost like it sinks in too much into my ear and melts into it. Kinda looks like a very very sparkly flat sticker and not like my idea of a stud - you know, like a pearl stud! Or is that the whole idea behind a martini setting? My 4-prong basket set studs are prominent (don't droop either) and from the side you can definitely see it.

Any martini owners or basket set stud ladies care to weigh in?

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
I think the "martini vs basket" debate really relies on personal taste.

I have all baskets. I thought I wanted martini studs but after trying them on in the store, I decided I hated them on me. They''re beautiful--when I''m holding them--but I much prefer the basket look when in my ear. I also really love the disks that you put behind earrings to make sure the basket sits nice and tight up against the skin. Makes the world of difference, IMHO.

Maybe it has to do with size too.... I haven''t really thought about that.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2009 2:40:17 PM
Author: MissPrudential
I think the ''martini vs basket'' debate really relies on personal taste.

I have all baskets. I thought I wanted martini studs but after trying them on in the store, I decided I hated them on me. They''re beautiful--when I''m holding them--but I much prefer the basket look when in my ear. I also really love the disks that you put behind earrings to make sure the basket sits nice and tight up against the skin. Makes the world of difference, IMHO.

Maybe it has to do with size too.... I haven''t really thought about that.

That is so helpful, thank you!

I thought I was nuts because everyone raves about martinis being the best. Maybe it''s my fleshy lobe?
31.gif

Can you tell me what didn''t you like about the look on your ear? I remember you have huge studs so I find it interesting that you didn''t go for the martini setting. With my 4 prong studs, I have the jumbo backs so they never sag. Thanks for sharing, though! Glad to know I''m not the only one!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
My favorite part of my martinis is that they snuggle into my ear, LOL! I can't stand earrings that stick out. *shrug*

ETA: I dont think it makes them look any smaller, but like a lot of things that are the norm on PS, I have NEVER seen a martini setting, other than my own, IRL. I think that some people might not realize what they're looking at.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2009 2:52:44 PM
Author: geckodani
My favorite part of my martinis is that they snuggle into my ear, LOL! I can't stand earrings that stick out. *shrug*

Gecko! I think your earlobes are so pretty and petite, the martinis do stand out. Love your studs! I feel like on my ears, they kind of look like someone stuck sparkly stickers on them.

They aren't 3-D on my ears. LOL. I think I like the idea of pearl studs but with diamonds...as opposed to the pearl button earring look on my ear... Maybe DH is right and I've lost my mind!
41.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2009 2:56:35 PM
Author: Bliss

Gecko! I think your earlobes are so pretty and petite, the martinis do stand out. Love your studs! I feel like on my ears, they kind of look like someone stuck sparkly stickers on them.

They aren''t 3-D on my ears. LOL. I think I like the idea of pearl studs but with diamonds...as opposed to the pearl button earring look on my ear... Maybe DH is right and I''ve lost my mind!
41.gif
Ya know, my little ones are wee enough that I rarely shove the backs on all that tight, which might have something to do with it. Bigger stones require tighter backs maybe? Emphasizing the snuggle?

I dunno Bliss. You may have gone mad, but who hasn''t around here at one point or another, LOL!

It''s kinda like me and the bezel studs - wanted them. Loved them. Got them on my ears and went... huh?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mixed feelings here too.

I have 0.9ctw martinis that do slide back into my ear (the prongs come straight to a point that wedges itself in my lobe hole to some extent no matter how loosely I wear them). I love the look - I think they make the diamonds look BIGGER - but I hate the worrying that I'm stretching my holes, and I do worry no matter what I tell myself! So these are my fancy earrings that I wear with dangles.

I wore a 2ctw pair of martinis for a couple of weeks, didn't like them at all. Even with those huge plastic backs I had to shove them so far into my ear to keep them from drooping that my poor lobes were all red after a few hours.

So after jonesing for 1ctw martinis for the better part of four months and finally getting them, I get inifinitely more wear out of my 0.1ctw baby bezels.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Geckodani, I know! It's just like how you were with the bezel studs! Maybe I'm just not used to the martinis! Anyway, they are pretty inexpensive to switch out... just don't want to make my awesome jeweler go nuts. LOL.

yssie! You have mixed feelings, too? You know, the funny thing is - I researched martini studs extensively on PS and saw the hole stretching threads. I thought maybe that would happen to me but it hasn't yet. And I wear them every day pushed in tightly. They don't droop at all and never have, I just wish there were more of a side profile. Ah, well, one can never have EVERYTHING!

31.gif

So your martinis make your studs look bigger? They always say that diamonds once set look bigger and I figured that the martinis are so naked, they have that visual effect of being unset. Mine are about 6.64mm each so they're sizeable, but my earlobes can swallow them up, no problem! I have always felt that martinis make the diamond look smaller... but I hear it both ways!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/30/2009 3:30:03 PM
Geckodani, I know! It''s just like how you were with the bezel studs! Maybe I''m just not used to the martinis! Anyway, they are pretty inexpensive to switch out... just don''t want to make my awesome jeweler go nuts. LOL.

yssie! You have mixed feelings, too? You know, the funny thing is - I researched martini studs extensively on PS and saw the hole stretching threads. I thought maybe that would happen to me but it hasn''t yet. And I wear them every day pushed in tightly. They don''t droop at all and never have, I just wish there were more of a side profile. Ah, well, one can never have EVERYTHING!

31.gif

So your martinis make your studs look bigger? They always say that diamonds once set look bigger and I figured that the martinis are so naked, they have that visual effect of being unset. Mine are about 6.64mm each so they''re sizeable, but my earlobes can swallow them up, no problem! I have always felt that martinis make the diamond look smaller... but I hear it both ways!
Yknow, no side profile was part of the martini appeal, but I got more than I bargained for! I hate the look of 2mm stones sitting a cm off the ear. I think what I really want are 3 prong baskets where the culet is as close to the lobe as humanly possible.

FI would ban me from the internet if I suggested it right now though
31.gif

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Maybe I have very fatty earlobes!
31.gif
Hummm... I am looking into the w-prong setting by WhiteFlash.

Do you think these would droop? I must confess that I love how martinis don''t droop at all.

wprongzi.JPG

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not a fan of the martini setting. When I was looking into buying a nice pair of diamond earrings I spent the time before purchasing trying out different sizes and settings with CZ sets. I had martini, 4 prong and 6 prong...screw and push back. I''m a 6 prong(love the roundness it gives the diamond and extra prongs make them look larger to me) also I like push back not the screw back. u

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I like martinis. I was looking to buy a pair myself. I never thought of the profile though.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
makemepretty, may I ask what you didn''t like about the martini setting? Was it the profile, or lack thereof? I''ll bet that 6 prongs look lovely...
30.gif

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
radiantquest, definitely try them on first! I wish I had. I think my favorite setting (look) would be 4 prong baskets. I'm still debating resetting these, though. I actually like that you can see a stud from the side. It's pretty, like how you would see a pearl stud versus a pearl button earring.

I have small holes in my ears and so it's definitely not because my ear holes are too big. (Screwbacks won't even go in because they're too small!) But the martinis definitely sink into your ear. They're kind of on the same plane, geometrically speaking. LOL.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Count me among the basket loving girls. The martini settings just didn''t do it for me. I do have thick meaty earlobes and I didn''t want that sunken into my lobe look.

I think that WF W-prong mounting might be the happy medium between martinis and baskets.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Have a few
emcocktl.gif
, and I guarentee you''ll soon find everything looks bigger, more sparkly, and just peachy!
9.gif
2.gif

cheers--Sharon

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/30/2009 5:25:19 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Have a few
emcocktl.gif
, and I guarentee you''ll soon find everything looks bigger, more sparkly, and just peachy!
9.gif
2.gif

cheers--Sharon
Haha true enough!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2009 5:19:06 PM
Author: gemgirl
Count me among the basket loving girls. The martini settings just didn''t do it for me. I do have thick meaty earlobes and I didn''t want that sunken into my lobe look.

I think that WF W-prong mounting might be the happy medium between martinis and baskets.

gemgirl, me too! I think I might reset into the w-prong mounting. I hope they don''t droop!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2009 5:25:19 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Have a few
emcocktl.gif
, and I guarentee you'll soon find everything looks bigger, more sparkly, and just peachy!
9.gif
2.gif

cheers--Sharon

Sharon, that's the best idea ever! Yesh...Ish all shooo mush better now.
3.gif
Ish beautiful.
LOLOLOL!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bliss, I went through a similar dilemma as you. here is my thread and Makemepretty posted pics of her 6 prong beauties https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/6-prong-or-martinis-make-studs-look-bigger.120889/

here is a little more discussion on basket and martini toward the end https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wf-33-studs-handmade-bezel-or-8-prong-martini.72485/page-2

I went with the 3 prong because I noticed they let more light in? I do like the 6 prong look though; maybe they wouldn't sit so flat?

Bliss here is a good thread and ultimately had me stick with the 3 prong. Look at the earrings Mara had on. the 8 prong .75 vs her .38 martini
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/8-prong-martini-studs.39350/

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone have a picture of martini studs and prong studs so I can see the difference?

MissChi

Rough_Rock
Although I like the look of martini''s on others, I prefer basket studs for myself. I actually like the way that they stick up a little on my ears. I have a pair of RB''s (.76 tcw) in white gold baskets and think they are a great size. But, that''s not to say I wouldn''t want a larger pair someday...
1.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My earrings were in four prong mountings and I changed them to martini settings. I really liked them at first but eventually I felt like they were sinking into my ears. I had them reset back in to the four prong mountings. I decided that they showed up better in the mountings that sat a bit off the ear. Neither pair drooped and since I don''t sleep in them, the comfort part was never really an issue. They are one carat each - maybe if they had been smaller stones they would have been better in martini settings but I''ve never regretted changing them back.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
All of my pairs are basket set. . .I think the martini earrings would get lost in my ear lobe (unless the diamonds were very large). . .also, there is the stretching out the ear lobe issue, which I''d take all measures to avoid.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I prefer 4 prong basket settings. And I am afraid to get martini settings. I''m afraid that they will sink into my ears and make the holes bigger and stretched looking.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, unfortunately I do think martini settings look smaller for the reasons you said. They can look like dots, like there is no dimension.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
The martini did seem to sink into my ear and I love the pop out of a basket. For me, 6 prong matches my e-ring and I never have to worry about the prongs not pointing certain ways.

For me, it''s the same way with a ring. I had my diamond set medium because too low seemed like it made it appear smaller, too high would too. Medium, made the diamond pop off my finger but not in an ostentatious way. The 6 prongs don''t cover the diamond a whole heck of a lot but seem more to "frame" it.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/30/2009 5:59:03 PM

Date: 9/30/2009 5:19:06 PM
Author: gemgirl

gemgirl, me too! I think I might reset into the w-prong mounting. I hope they don''t droop!
I think the whole key to the "no droop" is having a back that''s big enough to balance the weight of the earring. If you do the W-prong mounting, I''d have WF supply a back that will big enough to balance them.

My .78 ctw four prong earrings don''t droop much because they have a weighty screw back and the stones themselves are not all that big, but my custom GOG YG Stuller halos did droop, so my personal jeweler ordered me jumbo backs, and that took care of the "falling forward" problem.

My next pair, if I''m lucky enough to be able to save for .65/.75 points for each ear will have six prongs and a very large back.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
OMG, thanks for all the feedback! That really helped me in deciding!

So I wore my studs to a party tonight and they were crazy sparkly - which I think was highlighted by the martini settings... and I figured I might as well wear them like this for a while before I decide to scrap the settings. Part of me feels like the martini settings do allow more light in and it's mesmerizing to see the stone in all its glory. LOL. If after a couple weeks I still yearn for the basket settings, I'll order them from WhiteFlash!

Thanks for all the threads and feedback! Really helped! Thanks again to Skippy for finding all those threads! I remember those were really helpful when I was searching for my studs.

Now for the eye candy - see what I mean about the basket profile? It's less "dot" like... as Laila so perfectly described. I was trying for that visual but "dot" nails it! Sparkly dot, but dot!

31.gif
28.gif

aguilera.jpg

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Another...Swoon!

mcadams.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results