shape
carat
color
clarity

Earring question

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I saw a pair of earrings today and each one had three graduated bezel set diamonds dangling on little chains. I was told the diamonds were OMCs but I didn’t loupe them. What stopped me from getting them was that the backs were hinged and not posts. Is this usual for vintage or antique earrings? It seems slightly more modern to me. I appreciate any and all thoughts.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy might know, she several pairs of antique earrings.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw a pair of earrings today and each one had three graduated bezel set diamonds dangling on little chains. I was told the diamonds were OMCs but I didn’t loupe them. What stopped me from getting them was that the backs were hinged and not posts. Is this usual for vintage or antique earrings? It seems slightly more modern to me. I appreciate any and all thoughts.

@missy might know, she several pairs of antique earrings.

Could you share photos? I am not sure what you mean and photos would be helpful. Not sure I will be able to answer your question but it would allow me to better understand and maybe help.

Definitely need to loupe the diamonds however because that will be the true beauty of the earrings. Are they indeed OMCs and are they clean and with a beautiful facet pattern and can you appreciate them in the size they are. Those would be the most critical questions if I were considering these earrings.

Here is an example of what I consider amazing OMCs. These are a pair of earrings I wear often. Genuine antiques.

omcdanglescloseup.png

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I will call them tomorrow and get one of the ladies to send me some photos....just to give you an idea. The diamonds are most likely old as they said, but the settings are not what I am sure about. I should have taken pictures yesterday but I didn’t think too much about buying them....until I left the store.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will call them tomorrow and get one of the ladies to send me some photos....just to give you an idea. The diamonds are most likely old as they said, but the settings are not what I am sure about. I should have taken pictures yesterday but I didn’t think too much about buying them....until I left the store.

I always loupe the stones I am considering buying just so I know 1. is the price I am paying fair (subjective to some degree yes but still a clean stone vs a not clean stone should be different in cost IMO) and 2. I have a mind clean thing lol and I prefer "clean" stones. Plus you have to make sure they are OMCs not all jewelers are going to be super knowledgeable about old cuts.

If the setting isn't antique is that a deal breaker? I have a couple of pairs that have old cut stones but modern settings (or rather modern settings made to look old) and while I prefer genuine old cut earrings and settings if the stones are beautiful enough I would go for it.

Looking forward to seeing the photos you get. I absolutely love old cut earrings and hope these are the ones for you. If not I am happy to help you search for your dream old cut earrings.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
All of a sudden I have realized that I have started myself a collection of vintage and antique jewelry. I don’t know why....it’s just what I gravitate to because I think that the older pieces are more unusual, more beautiful and better made. Not everyone sees the beauty they possess, not to mention the stories only they know.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
08BD352E-2C53-46B8-BFA2-2F147170EBA6.jpeg The backs looked like this.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
08BD352E-2C53-46B8-BFA2-2F147170EBA6.jpeg The backs looked like this.

I just don't know if these are a newer part of the earring. Might be. Did the jeweler offer any insight about that? I wouldn't let that be a deal breaker if you love the actual stones. I am sorry I don't have more info on the earring back.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pair with old cuts... they were sold as MRB (from an antique dealer... who knows why, he probably thought I would not buy 76D05A6E-91E1-426D-88FF-DAA745A99E18.jpeg 9296C78D-B74C-4B55-9C58-061B8011A342.jpeg them otherwise?!). I don’t know how old they are, but the stones are OEC and the setting does not seem too new either. So it could be.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just don't know if these are a newer part of the earring. Might be. Did the jeweler offer any insight about that? I wouldn't let that be a deal breaker if you love the actual stones. I am sorry I don't have more info on the earring back.
No worries! They were in a pawn shop I go to a LOT. I’ll see if they’ll send me some photos tomorrow and I’ll post them so you can see what they look like. Their prices have always been fair so that’s why I’m considering them.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a pair with old cuts... they were sold as MRB (from an antique dealer... who knows why, he probably thought I would not buy 76D05A6E-91E1-426D-88FF-DAA745A99E18.jpeg 9296C78D-B74C-4B55-9C58-061B8011A342.jpeg them otherwise?!). I don’t know how old they are, but the stones are OEC and the setting does not seem too new either. So it could be.
If that is not the exact hinges it’s super close! I feel better now. Thank you for posting them. I actually like those backs better than the posts because I think they wouldn’t be apt to fall out. If they did I would (probably) know it!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LorettaB fyi.

I was told by a respected benchperson that leverbacks are not a good option as eventually the mechanism for the leverback will fail and might cause you to lose an earring. His favorite option are french hooks or earring wires with a plastic thingy at the end to protect you from losing an earring. However, many antique earrings have this mechanism as a closure so I have been super careful with my lever back earrings since he told me that.

If you add a plastic disc to the end of the earring closing mechanism you will make any closure safer. It doesn't hurt to do that. Gives you extra protection. Many antique earrings come with lever backs so it is a good method to keep your earrings safe.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
@LorettaB fyi.

I was told by a respected benchperson that leverbacks are not a good option as eventually the mechanism for the leverback will fail and might cause you to lose an earring. His favorite option are french hooks or earring wires with a plastic thingy at the end to protect you from losing an earring. However, many antique earrings have this mechanism as a closure so I have been super careful with my lever back earrings since he told me that.

If you add a plastic disc to the end of the earring closing mechanism you will make any closure safer. It doesn't hurt to do that. Gives you extra protection. Many antique earrings come with lever backs so it is a good method to keep your earrings safe.

Thank you. I didn't know. Mine seem quite tight, but I agree that the mechanism might fail at a time...

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@LorettaB fyi.

Very good advice on that and not hard to do either. I have lost some jewelry in the past...a ring and a bracelet....it made me sick. I just remembered that I lost an earring not too long ago but it didn't break....it had a closure that looked like a lever back but snapped closed. (Believe me, if you don't hear that "snap" when you close it, it's not good and I was in a hurry when I put them on.) I did find it....with a flashlight and my husband's help in my kitchen, all the while praying my golden retriever didn't find and eat it.

Andy Tan

Rough_Rock
Hello there! Did you end up getting the earrings? It is very chic! I can imagine a similar piece to fashion brands such as Cartier. Is it also like a rusty, dusty silver?

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I called and put them on layaway. I told myself I needed a pair that "dangled." This is another similar pair on the internet and the diamonds are just a little larger. The style is the same. I guess if you can't stop thinking about something you may as well go and and get it! LOL!! OMC EARRINGS.jpg

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
I called and put them on layaway. I told myself I needed a pair that "dangled." This is another similar pair on the internet and the diamonds are just a little larger. The style is the same. I guess if you can't stop thinking about something you may as well go and and get it! LOL!! OMC EARRINGS.jpg

Go go go for it!

paperunicorn

Shiny_Rock
The settings that the diamonds themselves are in look appropriate to the period. As for the earring closure, you're going to have to forgive me here because I don't actually have pierced ears so my knowledge of terminology about pierced earrings is pretty bad. But I believe that only french or kidney hooks would be period appropriate for Victorian or Edwardian jewelry. However, it's quite common to have only the earring backs, not the entire earring setting, replaced in those kinds of pieces. They are lovely!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
@LorettaB very pretty earrings! Do show us ear shots when you get them!

collier

Shiny_Rock
I look forward to seeing them as well!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results