carat
color
clarity

Earring Jackets for 6mm or bigger?

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

Anyone have earring jackets for 6mm (6.07 - 6.17 on average for both) or larger stones? Are they too heavy or too big? I know the "too big" part is relative to the size of the lobe but hopefully some of you gals that have been to IDJ & tried some of the different size jackets might be able to give your opinions/observations. Any pics? I think the 3 pt ones for 5mm stones are 9.8mm & the 3pt for 6mm is 10.6 (if I read it right from the Adwar site).

Thanks..
Judy

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it depends on your lobes how big/small they are, and where your piercing is situated. I would go to Claire's in a mall and buy some cheap studs for size reference. I see on their website that they have some that are halo'd.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I bought my first studs from IDJ, I also tried the jackets on. My studs were slightly larger at 6.5mm and looked very blingy with the 3pt jackets. Definitely not an everyday look for me and I have the real estate to fit them on. I think 2 or even 1pt halos would've looked better but they didn't have them. No pictures to show unfortunately.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a pic of my diamond, gold and pearl studs and jackets (I added 4 pairs of CS studs last year):

jackets_allthestudssmall.jpg

Here is a pic of my near 1cttw stud and jacket on my big fat earlobe.

studwithjacket.jpg

The setting of my bezel set studs is just over 6mm each, and the jackets are 1cttw from Katarina Jewelry, overall diameter is about 12mm. The studs fit snuggly in the jackets, and I am very pleased with them.

DK :))

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you ladies for your input. I definitely have fat, er, plus size ear lobes. There's room for the larger jackets.

I had come to a realization that I probably won't be investing too much $$ in gem studs. I had a heck of a time finding 5mm pairs that matched or were available in the colours I wanted at the price I wanted to pay. Buying 3-4 colours would take a good chunk of financial commitment, if you average out $4-700/pr depending on the gem (blue sapphire, ruby or red spinels, tsvorites, or emeralds etc) . 1st & fore most I want them for diamonds but would love to have a pair of pearls. By the way, 5-5.5mm pearls are very hard to find. I did check with a couple trusted vendors I read about on the Pearl forum. No one had any. At least I can get a pair for the 6mm without too much of a hassle.

I don't plan to wear the studs without the jackets. My lobes are just too big they get lost. Thank you DK for being so open about your lobe size. Thats been very helpful. Plus, you have an awesome collection!

Still working on the Pro's & Con's list.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results