shape
carat
color
clarity

Earring advice

NoobInNeed

Rough_Rock
I'm planning on surprising my fiancee the night before our wedding (in Mexico this November) with earrings to wear on our wedding day. I just started my search and have only really looked at WF. WF is where I purchased her e-ring (legato sleekline pave with 1 ct center stone) a year and a half ago. I've only been looking at diamond studs and, to be honest, I didn't realize it was going to be so costly ($2,400 for 0.5 ct earrings). We're paying for the wedding and will be looking to buy a house about 6 months later so my budget is a tighter than normal. I want to do something special for her, but I don't want the earrings be too small because of the budget. I read some posts on here saying that 1ctw seems to be a good size.

I'm not sure what my budget is exactly, but I'm looking for suggestions from the PS pros...

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
James Allen has 1ctw studs for $2100...so a bit less expensive.

NoobInNeed

Rough_Rock
Thanks centralsquare. I'll take a look.

The WF earrings I was looking at are "ready-set-to go" meaning you're purchasing the entire package. My contact there said I may be able to get a better deal if i pick the stones out individually. Can anyone confirm that?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Are you set on studs, or would you be amenable to vintage earrings? Jewels by Erica Grace has a beautiful selection: they're having a sale now, and there are a lot of beautiful options. The dangling pears a little more than halfway down the page are still a very classic look, and a very good value ....

http://www.jewelsbyericagrace.com/earrings

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd also check out idjewelryonline.com. They are great to work with and their prices are very competitive. It is a lovely gesture you are making...your future wife is a very lucky lady!

NoobInNeed

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the advice.

My fiancee likes simple, classic elegance. The vintage jewelry looks nice, but I just don't think that's her style.

I'm not necessarily set on studs. Besides something that looks great on our wedding day, she'll like something that she can wear on any special occasion. I had assumed classic diamond studs would be the best thing to fit that bill. Do studs generally fit that bill?

When I did shopping for her e-ring, JA, WF, and BGD were outfits I came across that seems most reputable. idjewelry seems to have REALLY good prices. Are they legit?

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 2 pieces from ID Jewelry now, and many others on this forum have purchased from them, not only rings but stud/hoop earrings/bracelets/pendants etc and the feedback is always excellent. Call or email them and they will see what they can do to accommodate your budget and wishlist, they are very patient and the service is very good. Not to mentionthat the diamonds are just beautiful.

NoobInNeed

Rough_Rock
It's a shame their site lacks many images.

NoobInNeed

Rough_Rock
OK so I've been exploring options beyond just studs and came across WF's Shared Prong Hoop which I think look very nice.

Would these have the same "wearability" as classic studs? Meaning could you wear them on as many occasions as you could classic diamond studs?

NoobInNeed

Rough_Rock
DandiAndi: Can you post pics of your ID jewelry? I can't seem to get ID to send me any pictures. Also, I'm not really sure how they can afford to sell studs for 27%+ less than competitors.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
did you mean to write that the earrings you were looking at are 2,400 for 1 carat total weight rather then 1/2 carat total weight? I would stay with the stud earring idea...simply is the key to longevity and a stud can be worn with anything at any occasion.In this situation where you expect that the earring will be worn for a life time then get as much carat weight as you can afford now.Usaully this is what i tell costomers because after the wedding they usually put off trading up because of other bills,children, and the ever increasing cost of diamonds.I would cut back on something for the wedding that in the long run wont be remembered and put that money toward a 1 carat twt set that she will wear her whole life and never have the need or desire to trade up on...you will be happy you bought the bigger earring today with the understanding that you wont need to trade up in the future when diamond prices will be higher and good quality stones harder to come by, and when children and house payments are a main concern, it may be a much more diffecult time affording the trade up.plus there is alot of energy and time used in trading up earrings and when you get what you want the first time...you save time.make sure the earrings have quality backs and post for long term wear!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
NoobInNeed said:
DandiAndi: Can you post pics of your ID jewelry? I can't seem to get ID to send me any pictures. Also, I'm not really sure how they can afford to sell studs for 27%+ less than competitors.

Here's a link to my stud thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bezel-milgrain-studs-from-id-jewelry-1-43-h-si2.153391/

I think it sort of depends on who you consider their competitors, frankly. ID is awesome, but unlike WF or BGD, they're not cutting their own stones, and most of their settings are stock settings rather than hand-made, in-house designed. That drives costs down quite a bit. There's also the fact that they're kind of filling an in-between niche: not quite as big-stone focused as the two latter, but definitely more aware of the modern focus on cut quality than most of their competitors on 47th st. (and, for that matter, of the internet and the need to cater to far-flung buyers). It's a pretty nifty business model, I think.

As for the question of whether studs and hoops fill the same basic purpose in a woman's wardrobe - I think they do, yes! It's kind of a matter of taste and personal style, but at the end of the day, most women wear both types as "everyday" earrings that can transition from work to a night out without ever making you feel over or under-dressed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results