shape
carat
color
clarity

Ear inflammation/ blockage and dizziness

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi DAF,

Thank you for that information. I think that gives Phoenix something else to consider.

Annette

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I attempted to go to dinner last night with an ex-colleague. Well, I lasted one whole hour!!:shock:

Music was so loud, to my ears - but not to other pple I am sure. It brought on the attack, just like that!! My left ear was throbbing so bad and I honestly thought I was going to faint right there and then!

Strange thing is though, now 14 hrs later, both my ears feel tender - though of course the left one significantly so. Sems I'm getting worse and the attacks are becoming more frequent!;( I am wondering if all these would mean I still have an active infection?

Last edited:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI,

I have had several bouts of dizziness due to inner ear problems. I have lost my hearing in one ear.(a bit left.) It too feels blocked. The reason I am answering this is that on the first occasion the Dr. gave me an antibiotic and within days it went away. How do they decide whether to give an anti biotic or all the other meds they gave you. This past time after giving me the hearing tests he say there is nothing he can do, but suggest a hearing aid. The dizziness disappeared, but somehow I don't think it is gone forever. Perhaps its too simplistic of me to ask why not the antibiotic initially. How does he determine its a virus? I had no cold, no temp, no redness.
I was very scared when it happened to me. Does it happen when you lie still? Get up very slowly.
I'm really sorry. I don't blame you for crying. I would too.

Annette

Annette, sorry to hear you've suffered from ear and dizziness problems too. It sucks! Let's hope the dizziness is gone forever.

Well, to answer your Q.... When this "friend" gave me her infection, I developed flu-like symptoms almost straightaway...runny & blocked nose, cough, sore throat, body ache, slightly high temp. I went to the GP after a few days. He declared I didn't need antibiotics as what I had was a viral infection and not a cold. After the flu-like symptoms dissipitated, I went to the gym and worked out, as I thought I'd recovered. It was there that I fainted. I then was hospitalised and discharged after a few days. Thought everything was ok again. But no, the dizziness & ear blockage came (it's worth noting that the dizziness now is different from the one I suffered immediately after I'd fainted and hit my head and also I didn't have any ear issue before). I went to another GP. She gave me a course of antibiotics etc and nothing helped.

So, basically about 4 weeks after I'd caught the viral infection, I went to see my ENT and he said I had a viral infection, hence the anti-viral med and steroids etc.

When I have an attack, I feel super dizzy and I have to go lie down. It is slightly better when I lie down but the dizziness is still there and the left ear throbs like a b**ch!

Last edited:

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi Phoenix, two people from Singapore responded when I asked online if anyone had experienced a ear infection that led to dizziness/vertigo or had TCM or physiotherapy recommendations. One said that his ear infection and then dizziness was probably stress-induced and he was so worried that he went for an MRI.

The second person who experienced a ear infection and then dizziness and vomiting for a week said that his was caused by an imbalance by fluids in the inner ear. He recommended that you -gently- attempt to do the Valsalva maneuver in order to help with the vertigo. He also said ENTs at Mount Alvernia and their medication did nothing for him, he ended up going to NUH/SGH instead.

Sorry for the patchy information, just wanted to relate what they said. Please let me know if I should ask them for more information or if you’d like to contact them directly (I think they’re open to it!)

I hope you get well soon xx Hugs!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix, thinking of you and sending more good luck and healing vibes your way. (((Hugs))).

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Performing a Valsalva maneuver forces air up the eustachian tubes to the MIDDLE ear, to equalize middle ear pressure and make your ears pop. It does nothing to equalize INNER ear fluids. I know you're reporting what you were told, but it's not correct.

On the other hand, if you can't equalize middle ear pressure, it can become quite uncomfortable. Under normal circumstances, the eustachian tubes open about every third time we swallow. The purpose is to equalize pressure, to make sure that the air pressure behind the ear drum is the same as what's in the ambient air. Equal pressure allows the tympanic membrane and ossicles to easily transmit sound to the inner ear. Positive or negative air pressure will stiffen up that system and interfere with that sound transmission.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix, I noticed your absence but thought perhaps you were traveling/busy over the holidays.
I'm so sorry to hear about this nightmare you're enduring.
Sending positive thoughts and hoping that you'll soon be doing better.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I had more to say ...

Now that I am thinking, a favorite author (Eliade) wrote in detail of attacks like yours: no one even thought of treating them, back in the day, so very bad weeks & no good months just ... came & went; several over a decade or so, then, no more.

.2c

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Phoenix, two people from Singapore responded when I asked online if anyone had experienced a ear infection that led to dizziness/vertigo or had TCM or physiotherapy recommendations. One said that his ear infection and then dizziness was probably stress-induced and he was so worried that he went for an MRI.

The second person who experienced a ear infection and then dizziness and vomiting for a week said that his was caused by an imbalance by fluids in the inner ear. He recommended that you -gently- attempt to do the Valsalva maneuver in order to help with the vertigo. He also said ENTs at Mount Alvernia and their medication did nothing for him, he ended up going to NUH/SGH instead.

Sorry for the patchy information, just wanted to relate what they said. Please let me know if I should ask them for more information or if you’d like to contact them directly (I think they’re open to it!)

I hope you get well soon xx Hugs!

@jadesilver, thank you soooo much for all that.

Please either ask them for more information for me or if I could get in touch with them directly, that'd be so great ! For both of these, did their symptoms/ condition improve and if so what did they do? So, for the first person, what did the MRI reveal and was he able to get additional diagnosis & treatment? And for the second, which hospital did he go to/ which managed to treat or help him - NUH or SGH? Thank you soooo much again!!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just saw this. Physicians have certain sub tests they use to test you for things like the displaced calcium crystal. This condition is called benign paroxysmal positioning vertigo (BPPV for short). The crystals are used by the gravity and acceleration sensing areas of our ears to detect changes in gravity and acceleration. Once treated, it can recur, or you may have crystals in more than one of the three semicircular, motion sensing canals we have in each ear. There are several hallmark symptoms of BPPV that you should keep an eye out for. Posterior and anterior canal BPPV typically kicks in with the head positioned a certain way or when laying down or rolling over in bed; there is a delay of 3-20 seconds before vertigo (the sensation that either you or the room are spinning) begins, followed by vertigo that can last a few seconds to a minute. Horizontal canal BPPV is also related to head positioning, however, there can be immediate onset of vertigo, and the vertigo may not subside. The test to determine the location of the crystals is called the Hallpike Maneuver.

To more thoroughly evaluate the vestibular system, your MDs may consider a test called Videonystagmography (VNG is the acronym). You would wear goggles that have infrared cameras to display and record your eye movements. They say the eyes are the windows to the soul. Well, they're the windows to the balance system. Each time your ears sense movement and send the signal to the brain, the brain tells the eyes to reposition themselves to keep your viewing plane horizontal. Your brain also manages your postural control system based on ear input to keep you upright. Anyway, abnormal eye movements can clue you in as to what is going on with the ears. First, eye movement while following targets is recorded and evaluated. They need to make sure that if there is something abnormal with the balance system, the eyes will be able to tell them. Next comes positional testing, where the eyes are recorded while your head and body positions are changed. Lastly, the functioning of the horizontal canals are evaluated by stimulating with cool air first, then warm air. The temperature change causes the fluid in the balance canals to move. Basically, this will induce vertigo that lasts about a minute. Again, they will measure your eye movements (velocity and direction) and compare one side to the other to see if there is a difference in velocity, e.g., a difference in functioning between the sides (vestibular weakness or hypofunction). The ears are extremely sensitive to insults like head injuries or vascular insufficiency. You can even have migraines that affect your balance system, or worse, permanently affect the hearing or balance systems, or both.

Another test your physican may consider is called Vestibular Evoked Myogenic Potential (VEMP), which looks at the gravity sensing system. You'll have surface electrodes placed on your skin and listen to loud clicks with your head turned away from the side that is hearing the clicks. The gravity sensor in our inner ear also happens to be sound sensitive. If the sound is loud enough, the ear sends a signal to the large muscle we have on either side of our necks, the sternocleidomastoid muscle, and tells it to uncontract. The size of the recorded signal can tell you if there is an issue with the gravity sensing system.

If your physician is saying you've got too much fluid in your ear, he is hinting at Meniere's disease, also called Endolymphatic Hydrops. Meniere's also has some hallmark symptoms, which are typically cyclical: a feeling of fullness begins deep in the ear, hearing begins to decrease in the low frequencies while tinnitus begins to increase. Once the compartment of the inner ear can't expand anymore to accomodate the fluid increase, a fistula opens up and that endolymph mixes with perilymph, two incompatible fluids, which results in vertigo that will last a few days. Residual effects of feeling lousy can last longer. Each cycle does more damage to the hair cells of the labyrinths and auditory system. Endolymph is used by both the hearing and balance systems. There can be idiopathic Meniere's that affects just one system. There is a test for this as well, it's called Electrocochleography (ECogH). You'll again have surface electrodes on your skin and listen to loud clicks in one ear while sitting very still. If hearing is better than 40 dB at 2000 Hz, it it likely that the fluid pressure levels can be measured. On the audiogram, Meniere's will usually present as low frequency hearing loss.

As an aside, and not wanting to put the chicken before the egg, I'll tell you that it is likely that hitting your head caused the loose crystal. Something else caused your syncope initially.

@DAF, you must be an otolaryngologist. Your post is incredibly informative. It took me a while to digest it (brain not working too well at the moment, lol).

You may be right that the reason for my syncope was different from what I have now, but still wonder if the effects of the viral infection had already started to set in. I'd had the viral infection for over a week. I think possibly I was electrolyte-deficient too, having just worked out super hard that day and the day before, when my body was still weak from the viral infection.

I'm convinced when I fell and hit my head, the impact caused a crystal, or part thereof, to be dislodged, thus causing the 200-300 mile p.h. room spinning sensation - it was sooo severe that I couldn't even sit up from the bed. The dizziness I have right now, have been suffering from for the last 3 months, is of a different nature. It is as if both my body is floating and the room is spinning (but nowhere as fast).

My ENT says I don't have BPPV as my head is not titled. I've also been checked for nystagmus and it appears I don't suffer from it. I am due for an appt with my chiropractor to do the Epley manoeuvre and some vestibular re-eduction but the ENT advised me not to. I'm still thinking about going..

I've had a hearing test but not the VEMP. My audiogram readings are between 30-40 dB, which I believe is borderline. There were no electrodes, just a headset. My ENT says my readings are "normal" and am a bit confused tbh.

Actually, since I typed the above, thanks to YOU, I've found a place here that offers VNG, ECogH, and VEMP. I def think it's worth checking this place out. I can't believe this place has been here all along and I didn't even know about it, til now!! At least I'll know for sure whether I have Meniere's once I've done the ECogH .
http://www.novena-ent.com/giddiness-balance-assessments/

The "cycle" that is associated with Meniere's, how long it is typically? I don't seem to go through cycles. Basically, i feel dizzy and my left ear is blocked almost all time time, ie. daily. When I have "attacks", the symptoms are amplified many folds!:eek-2:;(

Thank you soooo soooo much for posting.

Last edited:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@DAF, is the ECogH the definitive test for Meniere's?

(Actually, the hearing test i did seems very similar to this. I made a typo in my post above, I meant ECogh and not VEMP).

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just thinking aloud...might there be an insect in my ear/head?

I have a lot of spiders in my house, little ones. One might have crawled into my ear while I was sleeping.

Also, I don't have any of the classic symptoms of BPPV or Meniere's...haven't felt nauseous at all for example. Have not responded to medicine. This is truly a mystery!!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry that you are still suffering, phoenix!
Did your ENT say why you shouldn't go to the reeducation / physio?
I was under the impression that the professionals here believe that the training helps ease the symptoms of vertigo - no matter which vestibular condition caused them exactly.
Eager to hear his thoughts, since as usual, perhaps everyone else was being "sloppy" and just doing the same therapy for different conditions.

Healing vibes!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry that you are still suffering, phoenix!
Did your ENT say why you shouldn't go to the reeducation / physio?
I was under the impression that the professionals here believe that the training helps ease the symptoms of vertigo - no matter which vestibular condition caused them exactly.
Eager to hear his thoughts, since as usual, perhaps everyone else was being "sloppy" and just doing the same therapy for different conditions.

Healing vibes!

Actually, I am not impressed with my usual ENT. He was super busy and had so many patients waiting. He was basically just brushing me off when I asked him, saying that I don't display any symptoms of BPPV, ie. no head tilting etc. Said he didn't think the Epley manoeuvre would be helpful either (said he also performs it in his clinic).

I am going to other places. I need to get to the bottom of this. I've made an appt at the hospital that offers all the 3 tests that @DAF mentioned. I have yet another appt somewhere else.

My usual ENT did however agree that I should have an MRI. I did have a CT scan and an X-ray when I was hospitalised but nothing showed up. Perhaps they missed something bc they were not looking for anything in particular. I did not have any ear blockage or this kind of dizziness at the time.

Re the part in bold, that's actually very helpful and great to know. I still haven't ruled out the Epley manoeuvre or vestibular re-education. The thing that bothers me the most actually, even more than the dizziness which is already very bad, is my blocked/ painful ear I don't know why I have that. All the sites I read do not seem to talk about pain in the ears, only blockage.

Thank you sooo much again for your kind words and thoughts.

Last edited:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix I am so sorry I'm so late to this thread, I did not realize you were going through this. :( I hope you're able to get to to the bottom of it and that you get better soon.

ETA @Phoenix I wanted to at least see if I could find you some resources...

xxxx (I took this one away because after looking at it closer it didn't look great at all, probably would have been a waste of time.)

https://www.masseyeandear.org/for-patients/international-patients - they are ranked as one of the top ENT hospitals in the country. They may be willing to talk with you about your symptoms.

Last edited:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing helpful to add.
Just want to let you know I'm thinking about you and hoping you'll be better soon.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw another ENT yesterday and wait for this....he said I have TMJ!! He said I've prob been having TMJ (I was aware of this, due to my teeth grinding, but didn't think it was so bad), and the viral infection prob aggravated it, caused the inflammation of the ear(s), hence the dizziness.

This would make more sense, bc I've been having pain in my left ear, in the area around my ear, headaches and more recently a stiff neck. I've not displayed symptoms of BPPV or Meniere's. I had another hearing test done yesterday also and it was about the same as before, ie. 30-40dB which he told me was within normal range (as did the previous ENT). They also did some kind of ear pressure test (I forget the name) and that came out normal too, in both ears.

So, now I am on anti-inflammatories and anti-anxiety pills. I am a little reluctant to take the latter but am def taking the former. Will keep you all updated.

Interesting read: http://www.bergerhenryent.com/news-do-you-have-an-ear-infection-or-is-it-really-tmj/

Last edited:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's TMJ?
Maybe its spelled out in earlier posts but I didn't see it. Sorry.

Regardless, if its something that can be resolved with anti-inflammatories and anti-anxiety pills, that sounds like good news. Right?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's TMJ?
Maybe its spelled out in earlier posts but I didn't see it. Sorry.

Regardless, if its something that can be resolved with anti-inflammatories and anti-anxiety pills, that sounds like good news. Right?

TMJ or TMD is a temporomandibular disorder. This came from WebMD:"Your temporomandibular joint a hinge that connects your jaw to the temporal bones of your skull, which are in front of each ear".

Yeeesss!! If that resolves my problems, that'd be AMAZING!!! I only started taking the pills last night and have taken another anti-inflam. just now.

The ENT also said to rest the jaws, ie. only soft foods and no chewing-gum. That I can definitely do!!

I'm praying, very hard!!!!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful! :appl:
Sending out lots of prayers, good thoughts, PS dust and whatever else might help!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Brilliant ! (slight pun)

This disease sounds like something that might respond to a Japanese spa treatment: doing absolutely nothing but nibble beautiful foods (few of which could be said to be chewy) & relax throughout the day, with some hot baths threwn in ...

A

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you sleep with a night guard to protect your jaw and teeth?

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl:
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!!
And I'm with @valeria101 : pamper yourself!!!
Buckets full of dust!

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@DAF, you must be an otolaryngologist. Your post is incredibly informative. It took me a while to digest it (brain not working too well at the moment, lol).

I'm not an otolaryngologist, I hold a clinical doctorate in Audiology and spent 21 of my 23 years in this field evaluating people for hearing and vestibular disorders. The vestibular system is soooo complex and there is so much misinformation out there. I'm passionate about what I do.

You may be right that the reason for my syncope was different from what I have now, but still wonder if the effects of the viral infection had already started to set in. I'd had the viral infection for over a week. I think possibly I was electrolyte-deficient too, having just worked out super hard that day and the day before, when my body was still weak from the viral infection.

Viruses can caused both hearing and vestibular losses. But, if you were physically weak and worked out too hard that could have caused you to pass out.

I'm convinced when I fell and hit my head, the impact caused a crystal, or part thereof, to be dislodged, thus causing the 200-300 mile p.h. room spinning sensation - it was sooo severe that I couldn't even sit up from the bed. The dizziness I have right now, have been suffering from for the last 3 months, is of a different nature. It is as if both my body is floating and the room is spinning (but nowhere as fast).

The head injury may have caused more than a crystal to dislodge, e.g., damage to another part of the vestibular system. The crystals are used by the gravity and acceleration sensing systems in our ears. The sensation of floating suggests something may be amiss with that system. VEMP is the test to determine the functioning of that system. BTW, there are two different kinds of VEMPs, cervical VEMP is the most commonly done, and it looks at the gravity sensing system (saccule and inferior vestibular nerve). The other, less commonly performed is ocular VEMP, which looks at the functioning of the utricle.
If one of the motion sensing balance canals has been affected, vertigo can occur with quick head movements. The brain analyzes information from the ears and loves status quo, e.g., equal input from each side. When one side doesn't report the same information as the other side, the brain perceives the sensation of spinning. Our brain does adapt to vestibular weakness, it usually takes eight to 12 weeks. Slower movements it can recalculate and correct for, fast movements, are, well, too fast for it to keep up and the result is vertigo.

My ENT says I don't have BPPV as my head is not titled. I've also been checked for nystagmus and appears I don't suffer from it. I am due for an appt with my chiropractor to do the Epley manoeuvre and some vestibular re-eduction but the ENT advised me not to. I'm still thinking about going..

Heads don't tilt when you have BPPV. The displaced crystal(s) move with head movement and settle once the head stops moving. How long does the spinning sensation last and is there a trigger? Epley treats posterior and anterior canal BPPV. There is a different maneuver for horizontal canal BPPV. Wouldn't recommend vestibular re-education until VNG, VEMP and ECoGH have been completed. You really need to find out what this is to effectively treat it.

I've had a hearing test but not the VEMP. My audiogram readings are between 30-40 dB, which I believe is borderline. There were no electrodes, just a headset. My ENT says my readings are "normal" and am a bit confused tbh.

Is your hearing loss flat, rising, sloping or high frequency? Those numbers are not normal, that is a mild loss. Meniere's typically presents with rising sensorineural loss (low frequency, bass, loss).

Actually, since I typed the above, thanks to YOU, I've found a place here that offers VNG, ECogH, and VEMP. I def think it's worth checking this place out. I can't believe this place has been here all along and I didn't even know about it, til now!! At least I'll know for sure whether I have Meniere's once I've done the ECogH .
http://www.novena-ent.com/giddiness-balance-assessments/

My recommendations have been based on your symptoms and what you reported that your physicians have said to you. If your vertigo is cyclical, then ECoGH may be a consideration. It is best done wihtin 48 hours of the onset of an attack. If your vertigo is with head movements, this might not be the right test.

The "cycle" that is associated with Meniere's, how long it is typically? I don't seem to go through cycles. Basically, i feel dizzy and my left ear is blocked almost all time time, ie. daily. When I have "attacks", the symptoms are amplified many folds!:eek-2:;(

The repetition of the cycle can be anywhere from several weeks to a month or two. Acute vertigo usually lasts a day or two, followed by feeling crappy as your system recovers. Then, it starts over again.

The tests I recommended would give your physician a comprehensive look at your ears.

Thank you soooo soooo much for posting.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@DAF,

Thank you so much again for responding, in detail. You are obviously an expert in this area bc you talk so eloquently on the subject. I've had to look up quite a few things in your posts, lol. In some way, I wish I could remain ignorant on this subject, tbh. Wish I'd never had reason to learn what I have about it (albeit only a fraction of what is obviously very much a vast field).

The BPPV, I misunderstood, lol. No, I don't get vertigo from any head movement or lying on one side or the other. There is no fast spinning sensation (only the one time when I was hospitalised) and no obvious trigger. I've been dizzy almost on a daily basis, from the time I get up to the time I go to bed (the only time I get total relief is when I sleep, at the risk of sounding morbid; and no, I am not going to do anything stupid incidentally). And when I say "dizzy", I mean the room is spinning a little, not fast; and I feel, as mentioned, like I am floating but the latter is not severe, not really very bad. The sensation is more that I feel like I am going to faint. And my dizziness worsens considerably in the presence of loud noises and at one time by a very strong cologne. I am now also super sensitive to light, and noises which are I'm sure are normal to other people; when they never used to bother me before.

The place I went to yesterday claims to offer VEMP and VNG, as well as the hearing test. But the hearing test I did yesterday was exactly the same as what I had before, ie. there were no electrodes, only a headset,so not a true ECogH. These are my hearing test results:

Test done on 17th Nov 2017:
upload_2018-2-2_22-14-20.png

24th Nov 2017:
upload_2018-2-2_22-15-30.png

26th January 2018:
upload_2018-2-2_22-16-9.png

The test readings yesterday are very similar to the above.

You're right. I am confused bc both ENT's have said my readings are normal, but they clearly veer towards "mild".

I am not convinced I have Meniere's bc I don't seem to go through cycles. My symptoms, on the whole, have become progressively worse. Today is the first day in a long time that I don't feel horrible horrible. I wonder if that's a temporary relief, bc I am on anti-inflammatories, anti-anxiety as well as steroids pills. I am,however, hoping and PRAYING that the ENT yesterday is/was right about my having TMD instead of an ear issue(s) per se.

If, God forbid, my symptoms don't continue to improve, I will definitely go back ad ask for the VEMP and VNG tests. The ENT yesterday declined to do those tests, saying I'll need to see how I fare these next few days first. I also have another appt at another hospital, which I will keep for the time being.

Thank you soooo soooo much again, @DAF. I'm very grateful.

ETA: Incidentally, since I've been checked for nystagmus and I don't seem to have it, would that indicate that i definitely do not suffer from BPPV?

Last edited:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@DAF thanks for sharing your knowledge! It's hard to get information on this and most regular ENT doctors don't really know much about vestibular problems.

@Phoenix good to hear the medication seems ro work!!! Hope it means your pn the right track!!!!

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@DAF, is the ECogH the definitive test for Meniere's?

(Actually, the hearing test i did seems very similar to this. I made a typo in my post above, I meant ECogh and not VEMP).

ECoGH is the only thing we have, in conjunction with going by symptoms.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@DAF,

Thank you so much again for responding, in detail. You are obviously an expert in this area bc you talk so eloquently on the subject. I've had to look up quite a few things in your posts, lol. In some way, I wish I could remain ignorant on this subject, tbh. Wish I'd never had reason to learn what I have about it (albeit only a fraction of what is obviously very much a vast field).

The BPPV, I misunderstood, lol. No, I don't get vertigo from any head movement or lying on one side or the other. There is no fast spinning sensation (only the one time when I was hospitalised) and no obvious trigger. I've been dizzy almost on a daily basis, from the time I get up to the time I go to bed (the only time I get total relief is when I sleep, at the risk of sounding morbid; and no, I am not going to do anything stupid incidentally). And when I say "dizzy", I mean the room is spinning a little, not fast; and I feel, as mentioned, like I am floating but the latter is not severe, not really very bad. The sensation is more that I feel like I am going to faint. And my dizziness worsens considerably in the presence of loud noises and at one time by a very strong cologne. I am now also super sensitive to light, and noises which are I'm sure are normal to other people; when they never used to bother me before.

The place I went to yesterday claims to offer VEMP and VNG, as well as the hearing test. But the hearing test I did yesterday was exactly the same as what I had before, ie. there were no electrodes, only a headset,so not a true ECogH. These are my hearing test results:

Test done on 17th Nov 2017:
upload_2018-2-2_22-14-20.png

24th Nov 2017:
upload_2018-2-2_22-15-30.png

26th January 2018:
upload_2018-2-2_22-16-9.png

The test readings yesterday are very similar to the above.

You're right. I am confused bc both ENT's have said my readings are normal, but they clearly veer towards "mild".

I am not convinced I have Meniere's bc I don't seem to go through cycles. My symptoms, on the whole, have become progressively worse. Today is the first day in a long time that I don't feel horrible horrible. I wonder if that's a temporary relief, bc I am on anti-inflammatories, anti-anxiety as well as steroids pills. I am,however, hoping and PRAYING that the ENT yesterday is/was right about my having TMD instead of an ear issue(s) per se.

If, God forbid, my symptoms don't continue to improve, I will definitely go back ad ask for the VEMP and VNG tests. The ENT yesterday declined to do those tests, saying I'll need to see how I fare these next few days first. I also have another appt at another hospital, which I will keep for the time being.

Thank you soooo soooo much again, @DAF. I'm very grateful.

ETA: Incidentally, since I've been checked for nystagmus and I don't seem to have it, would that indicate that i definitely do not suffer from BPPV?

The best way to assess if there is nystagmus is with the VNG test. You would have infrared goggles on and would be in the dark, which would not allow you to suppress nystagmus because you have nothing to fixate upon. Positional testing often reveals nystagmus. I also cannot stress enough that the gold standard for assessing the functioning of the balance canals is to do the caloric testing, during which cooler and warmer than body temperature air is blown into the ear canal for a minute, which makes the fluid in the horizontal balance canal change density and move. You will feel the sensation of turning, and your eyes will beat in hypo direction (nystagmus). The speed of that nystagmus is measured for each side and compared to see if there is hypofunction on one side. Your physicians need to start ruling things out so they can get you headed in the right direction.

Where do you live, BTW? I tried the link for the ENT doctors you found, but it won't open for me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results