shape
carat
color
clarity

e-ring question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stef290

Rough_Rock
Hi,

My fiance & I are looking at 2 very different rings and I wanted to get other opinions on them. I want a nice size ring with good quality. I do have a tendency to be slightly materialistic and I am fighting my instinct to just go for the larger diamond.

Ring 1
carat size .73, priness cut, GIA cert., VVS2 clarity, I color

Ring 2:
carat 1.0, princess cut, no cert., SI1 clarity, H color

They cost about the same. It would make me feel a little better to have a ring GIA cert. since they are top in the world. However part of me does want the larger diamond.

Advice needed.
1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
get the one that you like better. you don''t want to look back and say ''what if''.....

best of luck!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I would probably never buy a VVS2 stone. IMHO, that''s clarity overkill!! I like a carefully-selected SI stone (many are totally eyeclean!) because of the significant "value" they represent. (I have a gorgeous AGS-0 2.36 J/SI2 which I completely adore!)

Compromising a little on color and clarity (but never on CUT!) let me put more money into... SIZE!
31.gif

Oh, BTW, a stone without a cert can be OK - just be sure to have it looked at by an independent appraiser before the sale is final, to be sure you are really getting what you are paying for.

singer

Brilliant_Rock
I think a VVS2 stone is too much of a good thing and a waste of money. I would prefer the bigger stone if I had to choose. Your eyes will tell you best, so look at them and see which one speaks to you. Good luck!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Well, as for the first stone, I think VVS2 is overkill too, but as for cut, we have no idea whether it is well cut or not. And to me, cut is the most important thing. As Lynn said, I would sacrifice everything else for a well cut diamond. And it is very much possible that the uncertified diamond is actually better cut than the GIA diamond. So I would see if you can have an independent appraiser look at the second diamond and let you know about the cut. If it is well cut and the same price as the GIA diamond, I would definitely choose the larger stone in a heartbeat
1.gif
. However, if neither are well cut, I would scrap both and keep looking.

Just keep repeating to yourself, "Cut is king."
3.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2006 8:35:48 PM
Author: Rascal49
Well, as for the first stone, I think VVS2 is overkill too, but as for cut, we have no idea whether it is well cut or not. And to me, cut is the most important thing. As Lynn said, I would sacrifice everything else for a well cut diamond. And it is very much possible that the uncertified diamond is actually better cut than the GIA diamond. So I would see if you can have an independent appraiser look at the second diamond and let you know about the cut. If it is well cut and the same price as the GIA diamond, I would definitely choose the larger stone in a heartbeat
1.gif
. However, if neither are well cut, I would scrap both and keep looking.

Just keep repeating to yourself, ''Cut is king.''
3.gif
Yup, what she said. Cut is KEY.
2.gif

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Well on a purchase this big, I would NOT buy an uncertified stone. With so many vendors out there, I think you can wait to get similar pricing with a stone that comes with the GIA certificate, hopefully in the size you want (you can always make some compromises in cut and quality).

My main concern is that with diamonds, a lot of the pricing depends on the grading, so it would be a shame to pay for an H, SI, if it wasn''t actually an H, SI. Even if the diamond is beautiful, and you love it, I''d be upset if I paid the pricing for an H diamond, but actually got a K.

Good luck with your purchase!

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
I would buy a certified stone. Unfortunately, my husband either thought he was getting a good deal, or maybe certification wasn''t important to him when he bought me a diamond for a ring. After 8 years of really not being fond of the setting, I had it reset in a new setting only to find that the diamond he thought was so great was not cut that well. Shop around and find the right stone! You''ll be glad you did down the road.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results