shape
carat
color
clarity

E/ring Project

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
What might look very pretty with the last setting you posted would be one of those w-bands with the little hammer-set diamonds scattered over it rather than a channel or pave set band. The reason I'd steer away from the pave or bead set is that unless you go custom (and the price is hideous) the diamonds are always from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock or even higher and so you'll barely see them either side of the e-ring. You really need an 8 o'clock to 4 o'clock to look right IMHO.

I would go with that last setting - btw I got a quote a month ago on that exact setting and it was coming in at around £270 inl. VAT at that time (prices do alter depending on gold-price) - and stick most of the budget into a killer centre stone.

It's no problem for me to look the sapphires over tomorrow (not sure he has any spinels) if he remembers to bring them as we're meeting anyway for a gemmology class. If there is anything great I'll get pics and put it on hold, otherwise you will probably get more of a 'one of a kind' special stone doing it the way you are with a PS vendor.

T

talamasca

Marymm - no it wasn't me. He did have another one similar in colour but slightly larger, though I'm not sure if it's still available.

TL - I didn't see the orange until you pointed it out!!! I really am rubbish at this :lol:

Pandora - thanks, that would be good. The last e/ring was in plat for £495 so I guessed about £200-300 for 18ct WG, which is same as your quote so that's def doable.

Now, I'm having GREAT difficulty as I do really love the Gemfix colour above, but the stone's a bit small and roval instead of oval. The next stone I could get is more oval, but even lighter however it's half the price (not that that really matters) and the third choice I now have is a very large 9.6 x 7.4 (2.91ct) oval which is ths sort of size I think would look great in that setting, however in the pic it's a darker pink. It also has some bubble inclusions when viewed with the loupe, but are almost not seen with the naked eye. It's slightly over the original stone budget too, but then it's a lot bigger and with changing the setting I can now afford to spend more on the stone.

Arrrghhhh, not sure what to do now??????

Attached is a pic of the large oval. Do you think in the proposed setting it would end up looking lighter? I think I don't want something too light cos it could end up looking colourless, but I also don't want too dark. This is hard, especially since I'm a typical Libran who can never make up her mind :lol:

Spinel 2.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
talamasca|1304930435|2916061 said:
Marymm - no it wasn't me. He did have another one similar in colour but slightly larger, though I'm not sure if it's still available.

TL - I didn't see the orange until you pointed it out!!! I really am rubbish at this :lol:

Pandora - thanks, that would be good. The last e/ring was in plat for £495 so I guessed about £200-300 for 18ct WG, which is same as your quote so that's def doable.

Now, I'm having GREAT difficulty as I do really love the Gemfix colour above, but the stone's a bit small and roval instead of oval. The next stone I could get is more oval, but even lighter however it's half the price (not that that really matters) and the third choice I now have is a very large 9.6 x 7.4 (2.91ct) oval which is ths sort of size I think would look great in that setting, however in the pic it's a darker pink. It also has some bubble inclusions when viewed with the loupe, but are almost not seen with the naked eye. It's slightly over the original stone budget too, but then it's a lot bigger and with changing the setting I can now afford to spend more on the stone.

Arrrghhhh, not sure what to do now??????

Attached is a pic of the large oval. Do you think in the proposed setting it would end up looking lighter? I think I don't want something too light cos it could end up looking colourless, but I also don't want too dark. This is hard, especially since I'm a typical Libran who can never make up her mind :lol:

That stone has a lot of orange in it, and is not at all the color of the Jeff White stone. I think part of your issue is that you saw a photo a very well cut stone that had a lot of sunlight shining on it, and it had a certain appearance you liked. This one is darker in tone than the Jeff White stone and has a great deal of orange. You may still like it, but it will probably not look at all like the Jeff White stone.

T

talamasca

TL|1304942108|2916099 said:
That stone has a lot of orange in it, and is not at all the color of the Jeff White stone. I think part of your issue is that you saw a photo a very well cut stone that had a lot of sunlight shining on it, and it had a certain appearance you liked. This one is darker in tone than the Jeff White stone and has a great deal of orange. You may still like it, but it will probably not look at all like the Jeff White stone.

Hi TL, sorry but to clarify which stone has a lot of orange - the Gemfix one?

And the darker one also with orange is that the last pic I posted?

I think I might just have to pick one and see if I like it in person cos this buying from online pics isn't working for me :lol:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
talamasca|1304942963|2916105 said:
TL|1304942108|2916099 said:

Hi TL, sorry but to clarify which stone has a lot of orange - the Gemfix one?

And the darker one also with orange is that the last pic I posted?

I think I might just have to pick one and see if I like it in person cos this buying from online pics isn't working for me :lol:

I think they both have comparable amounts of orange, but this one is darker in tone than the Gemfix one.

T

talamasca

Thanks TL. I'm waiting to here back from Gemfix about this stone so will see what they say, but at the mo I'm leaning towards this one because it's paler.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Don't worry about inclusions if the stone is eye-clean (coloured stones are graded for clarity with the naked eye unlike diamonds that are graded under a x10 loupe). Unless the inclusion is visible or compromises the stone's stability/durability then I think they are a definite plus. I would almost pay extra for good rutile inclusions in a sapphire as I think they are so pretty!

My tsav is loupe clean and it means that when I pick it up from a jewellers the only way I will have of guaranteeing that it's MY stone is to get digital calipers and measure the thing. If I had an inclusion then I would have my ID mark.

Also completely clean - unless from a vendor that I know and trust - gets my synthetic antennae going.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora|1304952092|2916199 said:
Don't worry about inclusions if the stone is eye-clean (coloured stones are graded for clarity with the naked eye unlike diamonds that are graded under a x10 loupe). Unless the inclusion is visible or compromises the stone's stability/durability then I think they are a definite plus. I would almost pay extra for good rutile inclusions in a sapphire as I think they are so pretty!

My tsav is loupe clean and it means that when I pick it up from a jewellers the only way I will have of guaranteeing that it's MY stone is to get digital calipers and measure the thing. If I had an inclusion then I would have my ID mark.

Also completely clean - unless from a vendor that I know and trust - gets my synthetic antennae going.

I agree, and one shouldn't get so hung up on inclusions in colored stones, like they do in white diamonds. Rarely can you see them with the naked eye if they look like pin points in a vendor photo. I have to agree also that I think a sapphire with very good rutile is a huge plus!! I also look for bubble inclusions in spinel as so much spinel is synthetic, and these inclusions tell me the material is natural.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Has anyone considered the beautiful oval pink spinel that Roger Dery has on his site? I don't know the price but it is a really pretty pink.

Lg-SpinelPinkOval4_18ct.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know of ANY gemstone that appears lighter once set. Most look darker (to varying degrees). The reason is that a setting, no matter how open, still encloses the gem so it stops the light getting in as much as when it's loose.

I doubt very much whether you would have a coloured gemstone that once set looks white. Hope that helps.

T

talamasca

Thanks Treenbean - I'm not so keen on the cut though for some reason.

Thanks TL, Pandora and Loving Diamonds.

I'm very close to finally choosing one. It's now between two and I'm just waiting to have clarification on colour and then I'll be picking one today :D :D :D

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Gemfix posted some new oval pink spinels yesterday - check the new gemstones link on their site.

T

talamasca

Whoop, whoop I finally decided and have just ordered - gosh that was nerve wracking!

Not saying which one I've gone for until it arrives, just in case someones notices something about it and I regret ordering! God, I hope I like it!!!

I wonder how long it will take to arrive.

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
I wish I liked pink! Those gemfix spinels are too pretty but I wouldn't wear them.

Though the new 7 mm montana he's posted makes me happy. It means he has more where joebox's engagement sapphire came from.

Talamasca, I can't wait to see what you have finally decided on, I'm glad your search got fun again :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck, I hope it meets your expectations. :bigsmile:

T

talamasca

:shock: :shock: :shock: just received notice of import fee to pay @ ................ 25%!!!!

I was expecting 2 - 5% import and handling fee, but didn't realise our blooming 20% VAT would be added too!!!!

Good job ring setting is costing less than first thought otherwise I'd be up **** creek without a paddle!

Feel a bit deflated now and really hope it's worth it :-o

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Oh mate, I feel your pain. However, just think: you know it's almost impossible to get such beautiful gems in the UK, let alone for the price you (probably) got it for - EVEN if you add on the 25% extra! It's worth it for such an amazing end goal, I am sure. That's what I cling to too :roll:

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
talamasca|1305710468|2924658 said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: just received notice of import fee to pay @ ................ 25%!!!!

I was expecting 2 - 5% import and handling fee, but didn't realise our blooming 20% VAT would be added too!!!!

Good job ring setting is costing less than first thought otherwise I'd be up **** creek without a paddle!

Feel a bit deflated now and really hope it's worth it :-o

I thought LD and I had told you about the VAT in one of your earlier threads. I'd probably better warn you, but if you send the stone back you can't reclaim the fees I'm afraid.

There are places to get really good stones in the UK but not unless you are in London and have time to shop around.

T

talamasca

Hi Pandora - yep you did, but I forgot about it and just remembered something about import duty!!! My own fault I know :roll:

natsplat - Finding one anywhere near as pretty as (hopefully) this one is up here in the North is probably impossible! My jeweller couldn't get hold of anything except a pink check cut tourmaline and he said that was after speaking to 12 different suppliers!! Whether that's true or not I don't know, but hey ho.

Keeping fingers crossed that I like it AND it's not been damaged - I know what Couriers are like for slinging stuff about :roll:

Gosh I hate waiting. It's currently on route to local depot and then I'll be able to pay to have it released may be on Friday, though I bet it will be after weekend now

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Which one did you get?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
talamasca|1305720597|2924695 said:
Hi Pandora - yep you did, but I forgot about it and just remembered something about import duty!!! My own fault I know :roll:

natsplat - Finding one anywhere near as pretty as (hopefully) this one is up here in the North is probably impossible! My jeweller couldn't get hold of anything except a pink check cut tourmaline and he said that was after speaking to 12 different suppliers!! Whether that's true or not I don't know, but hey ho.

Keeping fingers crossed that I like it AND it's not been damaged - I know what Couriers are like for slinging stuff about :roll:

Gosh I hate waiting. It's currently on route to local depot and then I'll be able to pay to have it released may be on Friday, though I bet it will be after weekend now

He needs to get some better suppliers. I know of at least 5 dealers in London who would carry the kind of thing you are after and they would be very easy for a jeweller to find. They're trade suppliers not retail sadly.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
talamasca|1304857533|2915372 said:
Re ring setting I Googled and found this setting which I think is similar in style to the three stone setting I love and I think a pink stone would look great in it. However, though I have quite plain tastes when it comes to jewellery I'm wondering whether this would look better with some tiny diamonds (I think it's called melee?) on the shank/shoulders or whether I should keep it as it is and have a half diamond wedding band - any thoughts?

I just LOVE this setting! Can I ask where you found it? Are you going to have it custom made or order from somewhere?

T

talamasca

Hi, here's link but it's UK based http://www.qualitydiamonds.co.uk/Setting.aspx?code=RB_D_R1-141_W

I'm going to take this pic, plus a couple of others I've seen on here that have a bit more work to them and get my local Jeweller to make something for me.

Also, found this which shows an oval (the other was for a round) and slightly different setting with the V prongs, but still pretty http://www.mdcdiamonds.com/engagementdetails.cfm?Stock=ES147OV&Country=UK#

Oooo ooo ooo and this if you like something with a bit more detail http://www.gemvara.com/Oval-Pink-Tourmaline-White-Gold-Ring-by-Just-Like-You-Designs/jewelry/v/1357879/?SSAID=323479

Hmm, now then - do I go plain like I was originally thinking OR for something like last link, which looks similar in style to my tattoo and therefore very me??? Oh oh, not more decisions :lol:

T

talamasca

innerkitten|1305772483|2925392 said:
Which one did you get?

It's the Gemfix one on newest gems page :D

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
talamasca|1305809323|2925576 said:
Which one did you get?

The 2.25ct one?

Have you pulled the trigger on one of those settings yet?

T

talamasca

LovingDiamonds|1305829471|2925821 said:
talamasca|1305809323|2925576 said:
Which one did you get?

The 2.25ct one?

Have you pulled the trigger on one of those settings yet?

Yep. I ended up going bigger! I love the cut, shape and size and I just hope the colour lives up to the description. Laura @ Gemfix was of great help and she says it is as light and similar to gem 236, though I see more lilac in 236 than the one I went for so will just keep fingers crossed that I like it.

I doubt it will be as light as some of the pinks I was looking at (Jeff Whites in particular), but hopefully I will love it - we'll find out in a couple of hours!!!! :D

Nope, not decided on ring yet, though it's between the plain one and the one with a bit more detail (pic added). I can't make it to the Jeweller for a couple of weeks so it will give me time to ponder. I know the basics that I want, i.e. open 4 prong vine with thin tapered prongs, but not too claw-like and split shank. It's just whether I add any detailing or not.

ETA: when it comes to detailing, does it end up hidden by the wedding band???

Attachments

• E-ring Style.bmp
    554.5 KB · Views: 393

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on the first step! The stone is great.

I like the details. You might want to check out some of the neat detailed settings on WroughtGold on Etsy for inspiration - http://www.etsy.com/people/WroughtGold

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
velouriaL|1305933977|2926923 said:
Congratulations on the first step! The stone is great.

I like the details. You might want to check out some of the neat detailed settings on WroughtGold on Etsy for inspiration - http://www.etsy.com/people/WroughtGold

It's so good to come here and see this posted. I must have scoured etsy for 4 hours yesterday... and that designer is AMAZING!!!! I also found another one who really caught my eye but the 2 designs that they have are far from simple.

Check this out:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/56686405/the-enchanted-princess-14k-gold
http://www.etsy.com/listing/72870401/the-enchanted-princess-14k-gold-ruby

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Handcrafted bliss in my book :)

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Just FYI: wroughtgold on Etsy has some scathing reviews from dissatisfied clients....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results