shape
carat
color
clarity

E-ring Height

T

talamasca

Wasn't sure where to post this, so since it's regarding my coloured e-ring I thought here would be OK.

Question: How high is too high re shoulders and setting?

I'd love something quite high so I know it may catch on stuff, but what's the highest you would go to?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Here's profile shot of mine. I don't catch it on things ever. I thought it was too high when I first saw it, but it's not.

file.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
One of mine is about 7mm off the finger and the other is 8 or 9mm I think. They're both fine for me.

T

talamasca

:D great, just what I wanted to see/read

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is 9mm from my finger (see avatar). People say they want them set low so they dont hit them on things but
I dont seem to have that problem. I dont usually wear my rings around the house but thats more in an attempt to keep
them clean.

IMG_3715.JPG

T

talamasca

Oooo tyty333 that's fab. Is it 9mm including stone or are the shoulders 9mm?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Top of stone is at 9mm...pretty tall. It really doesnt look that tall looking straight down on it or from an angle but
when you take the shot from the side view it looks like its up in the clouds!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I'm one of the people who had my ring set low because I'm a klutz. Even still, I bang it on doorways and things all the time. I would just murder a higher-set ring!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Another thought is if you regularly wear gloves, or not. Thanks to the climate where I live, I spent 6 months of the year wearing gloves every time I step out of the house. I really appreciate my low-set semi-bezel diamond that doesn't catch on the lining.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Totally agree on the gloves issue (not climate for me, but work gloves). That was the other part of why I had my ring set low.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
I'm having my ering's profile fairly low for the gloves-in-cold-weather issue too. But not superlow. There's always ways to get round stuff; and the important thing is to have an ering that stops your heart when you look at it :naughty: The rest is just frostbite :lol:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
The answer is probably up to you.

High rings do catch on things, but a high bezel or high gypsy set ring will catch far less just by virtue of design. So, they're definitely a way to reconcile a desire for a high-set yet comfortable ring.

T

talamasca

natsplat|1306572528|2932299 said:
and the important thing is to have an ering that stops your heart when you look at it :naughty: The rest is just frostbite :lol:

:D looks like the lovely leather driving gloves I got for Christmas last year won't do any more cos I've gone high-ish.

Ah well, will just have to get a fluffy steering wheel cover instead!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it really depends on the stone durability and how careful you are with it. I know many people that would botch up Pandora's ring. She is very careful with it from what she has said in the past. Some less durable stones, lower than an 8 or 9 on the hardness scale benefit from being in lower profile settings, although you can still chip the table and crown facets if you're not careful.

Nice profile shot Pandora!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
talamasca|1306599601|2932479 said:
natsplat|1306572528|2932299 said:
and the important thing is to have an ering that stops your heart when you look at it :naughty: The rest is just frostbite :lol:

:D looks like the lovely leather driving gloves I got for Christmas last year won't do any more cos I've gone high-ish.

Ah well, will just have to get a fluffy steering wheel cover instead!!!

I have to admit that I live in FL and gloves are rarely an issue...never thought of that problem before.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results