shape
carat
color
clarity

E-ring Anniversary Upgrade (JA EC)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A modest upgrade but it's been a long time coming. I have not upgraded this one for more than 5 years, spending more time and effort on my love for antique diamonds and coloured gemstones. With help from many PSers in RT, especially Karl and later Gypsy, I narrowed down my crazy options of more than 10 down to 2. :bigsmile: The three were of very different carat weights but strangely enough, all share the same face up measurements due to the cut (depth and girdle). Fortunately for me, the nicest one is also the least expensive. Then came the time to decide on the setting.

Moving away from my much loved Mark Morell inspired EW setting (setting for the stone prior to the upgrade), I opted for the more traditional NS setting. I waffled back and forth between something simple (single prong or double prongs), bezel and a halo. In the end, I went for simplicity because nothing spoke louder to me than a solitaire to allow the beautiful steps to shine through. Perhaps when the right setting comes along, I will switch it out but for now, this is perfect.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sounds perfect!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for the long delay. I just remembered to take pictures of the package and all. :oops:

Despite the busy holiday rush typical in December, JA was able to keep their committed dateline of shipping by 12/10. I was pleasantly surprised by the presentation box. It is a lovely touch which I have not seen with other PS vendors I've purchased from in the past. Once open, I easily found the GIA memo, which is the right one, JA's appraisal which makes it easy for those who don't have an appraiser lined up for insurance purposes (although obviously there is a conflict of interest) and a thank you letter restating the generoud 60 day return policy for any reason.

Please excuse my yucky office carpet. Any shadows seen is all me too. :rolleyes: Gotta work with 4 measly skinny CFLs. Make that 3 since one of them refuses to light up.

ja_presentation_box.jpg

ja_documentation.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let's get into the good stuff!

ja_padded_box.jpg

ja_wood_case.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are not the best pictures. Totally inartistic plus I am out of compressed air so I could not properly dry the EC last night and ended up with water spots. I think my diamond was actually cleaner looking before I cleaned it. :blackeye: These are taken in my office so the lighting condition is the worst ever possible scenario.

ec_close_up_1.jpg

ec_close_up_2.jpg

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
totally dreamy!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hand shots are up next. I think I was too generous with the sizing. I wanted it at 4.75 to play it safe for summer time swelling but it is spinning like crazy. If not careful, it will spin 180 degrees and end up palm-side. I should have stayed with the usual 4.5 since it works fine most of the time in the summer except right after I workout.

Stats:

1.04 ct GIA I VS1
Surprisingly very white. It is not icy but blindingly white which I attribute to the fantastic cut helping it face up colourless. My previous EC is an E VS1 so I have a good base comparison. My initial concern is that I will see some tint and it will bother me but my doubts are assuaged. It is still very white when viewed from the side against a sheet of white printer paper. Any specks you see is either dirt or water spots or both. The clarity diagram is very clean except for a 2 feathers which I cannot find at all.

Polish Ex, Symmetry VG, no fluorescence
I wish it has fluoro because I love that effect but beggars can't be choosers since well cut fancies are SO hard to come by. Guess this is a good excuse to get fluoro on the next upgrade. :naughty:

Table 64%, Depth 63.1%, medium to thick culet
Unbelievable that I was able to get an EC under 65% depth, a girdle that is not too thin or thick AND with a very good ASET.

Measurement 7.07 x 5.03 x 3.17 mm with a traditional 1.41 ratio
Because the lower depth and not overly thick girdle, this EC faces up as big as many other 1.2 ct ECs that I looked at!

104_i_vs1.jpg

104_i_vs1_aset.jpg

D

Deactivated member 42515

Soooo beautiful.... Horrible office lighting? Doesn't matter! Your diamond looks amazing! Those steps are Mmm! Mmm! Mmm!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Motownmama and YayTacori! You two ladies are always so sweet and kind. I know not many PSers (or non participants) are fans of fancies.

These were taken last night in my bathroom so you will see tint from the reflection of the walls.

bathroom_brilliance_1.jpg

bathroom_brilliance_2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still in the bathroom but I'll be out of there soon enough. :lol:

bathroom_purple.jpg

bathroom_white.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With patience and a steady hand, I was able to take a very sharp and focused picture of the steps on my iPhone no less.

clear_0.jpg

fluor_office.jpg

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful and classic Chrono!

ksmom

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful diamond Chrono! And I love the setting you chose for it- as elegant and timeless as the diamond itself. It looks stunning on your finger- many congrats!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even though it looks its worst under CFLs, it doesn't mean that it looks dull and dead. ECs can still show a ton of fire as evidenced below.

fluor_flash_1.jpg

fluor_flash_0.jpg

D

Deactivated member 42515

Love this one. It looks like it wants to burst out of its shell and sparkle like crazy!

imageuploadedbytapatalk1355331435.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Rosetta and KSmom. I think ECs should have a simpler setting to showcase its unique beauty without competing with it too. I still would like to find a more permanent setting for it, preferably something with double claw prongs.

These are taken in my bedroom which has LED lights. It tends to show the most contrast here because LEDs are very directional based, not spreading or diffusing well.

led_blue.jpg

led_flash.jpg

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
curious if you'll be wearing a band with your new lovely

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YayTacori|1355328440|3329381 said:
Love this one. It looks like it wants to burst out of its shell and sparkle like crazy!

You bet! I actually had to try to shade it to limit the amount of light shining onto it so that it'll have less light to reflect back. :lol:

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
It's stunning! Congrats on the upgrade!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
motownmama|1355328723|3329385 said:
curious if you'll be wearing a band with your new lovely

Motownmama,
I actually don't have a wedding band but DH has one. Culturally, I only get a single ring but I have many 22K gold bands which DH has gifted to me. Because of the softness of high karat gold, I will not be wearing those bands with this EC. I do have a 7 stone wedding style band from Signed Pieces which I can pair with this and may do so from time to time.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Gem Anemone.

The fire fest continues. In the meantime, I stepped outside briefly a short while ago to attempt some sunlight photography. I'll have to resize those first before posting.

more_fire.jpg

rainbow_dispersion.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh... Chrono.... It is simply breathtaking. I absolutely LOVE the simplicity :love: :love: :love:

Next to the pear cut, the EC is my favourite, and having seen this beauty I think I will have to get working on an anniversary present that incorporates one. Not that i am in the market for anymore diamonds for a while - I've only just had my pear re-set :))

Would love a profile shot if you have any?

Congratulations :appl:

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it's gorgeous!!! I had looked at EC's last year when hubby and I were upgrading my ring, I went with an oval but really love the look of a nice emerald.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex,
Thanks for the compliment. Nothing more complimentary to me than being called an enabler. :cheeky: I don't think I've taken any profile pictures although the next few might show hints of it. It's a very simple 4 prong integrated "basket" setting without cathedral shoulders.

DiamondDana,
Thank you to you too. I could not have done it without the help of Pricescopers in RT. I thought I knew what to look for but it turns out that I knew very little after all. This new EC outperforms my other EC which I purchased many years ago locally on my own with guidance from PSers. Thank goodness for ASETs since my eye isn't well trained yet.

ETA
Took one profile picture at my desk just for Alex.

_2317.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can tell me to quit posting if you've seen enough. I can't seem to stop today. :lol: These are by the window in the conference room since it is too chilly to venture outside.

sun_window_bits.jpg

sun_window_clear.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two modest fire pictures

sun_window_fire_1.jpg

sun_window_fire_2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two pictures taken in the shadows.

sun_window_white_1.jpg

sun_window_white_2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The finale ends with in your face fire. You can all breathe a huge collective sigh of relief that Chrono is done with hogging her own thread. :tongue:

fire_blue_green.jpg

fire_full_yellow.jpg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YAY, Chrono!!! Congratulations on the upgrade! Haha, I'm so used to knowing you as a CS-er, so I was silly to wonder, "what kind of stone is that?!" when I saw the photo of the ring box. HAHAHAHA. I'm an idiot, and it's early for me. :oops:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So elegant and classy! Love it! It looks super white, too.

Congrats Chrono!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results