shape
carat
color
clarity

Dumb Question(s)

LTCT814

Shiny_Rock
IMO if you want a standard round to darken less in stronger more direct lighting, it’s less about the right numbers to look for and more about the cut precision. Most commonly available standard round proportions with good cut precision are going to darken in stronger more direct lighting and show fire. That’s what the cut is designed to do!

Essentially what you are asking for is a poorly executed standard round cut to increase the chances that it would darken less in stronger more direct lighting. To get to that point you would need poor cut precision to break up the standard round facet pattern, and avoid too much obstruction or leakage that would make it dull and lifeless.

Light leakage is when you can see straight through the stone. Essentially facets that are not returning any light, highlighted in yellow. Tiny bits of leakage that move around as the diamond tilts can add contrast, bigger stationary areas can make the diamond look dull and lifeless.
IMG_2331.jpeg

Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time. That’s what @yssie said as well. It seems like I’m focusing more on the numbers and not what matters the most in this situation - the cut! I’ll keep looking and focus my search on more splintery faceting. Thank you again!

LTCT814

Shiny_Rock
After battling a cold that ran through everyone in the house, I'm back with a few options. Do any of these look splintery enough that would achieve the overall look I want? More sparkle, less fire and faces up white in all light sources? I don't want anything that goes too dark. Thank you for bearing with me through all of this!

*Adding links since no one here wants an imperfect diamond like I do.
:P2

Option 1
Option 2
Option 3
Option 4
Option 5
Option 6
Option 7
Option 8
Option 9
Option 10

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I'm shooting from the hip here.

Don't like 6 - might be dark

Wonder if 4, 5, and 10 are too much like a well-cut diamond that you'll see those arrows and not have splinters all the way around.

For whatever reason, I'm rooting for 7.

But I think this search is gonna be a science experiment, like the ones @0-0-0 show us! Thank goodness for return policies! I'm excited to see how this plays out!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
No one has mentioned the trade off for finding a diamond like this. It won’t look good in other lighting! It won’t be as sparkly or have much or any fire at all. I don’t see the point of finding a poorly cut round. If you like a stone that just looks bright and white all the time get a cut that is meant to look like that.

LTCT814

Shiny_Rock
I'm shooting from the hip here.

Don't like 6 - might be dark

Wonder if 4, 5, and 10 are too much like a well-cut diamond that you'll see those arrows and not have splinters all the way around.

For whatever reason, I'm rooting for 7.

But I think this search is gonna be a science experiment, like the ones @0-0-0 show us! Thank goodness for return policies! I'm excited to see how this plays out!

@0515vision Thank you! You’ve been so helpful and kind in this process. I so appreciate it! =)2

LTCT814

Shiny_Rock
No one has mentioned the trade off for finding a diamond like this. It won’t look good in other lighting! It won’t be as sparkly or have much or any fire at all. I don’t see the point of finding a poorly cut round. If you like a stone that just looks bright and white all the time get a cut that is meant to look like that.

@Dreamer_D Thanks for your reply. I’ve actually seen some imperfect rounds that are beautiful to my eye! Although I understand my preference is not the norm, I know something like this exists and I’m determined to find it! I like rounds and would prefer to stay with the same shape I currently have as to not draw attention to the change.

Who knows, maybe after this search I’ll realize that I like what I currently have more. For now it’s a fun challenge and I’m learning a lot in the process!

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I still think this one has the most potential if you want to experiment. Low crown, big table, and messy faceting.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck I hope it’s what you’re looking for!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results