shape
carat
color
clarity

Dumb question: delete if not allowed

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t wear it but some people say it turns yellow so it needs to be rhodium plated every year.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Not dumb at all. I have an 18k wg ring that has gone buttery yellow on the palm side where the rhodium plating has worn off. The top and the prongs are still bright because they don't get the same wear.

Now if your ring turned green or something, that's a different story.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not a dumb question at all.
See answers above.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don't have a nickel allergy try using Stuller X1 WG. It is pretty white and doesn't need rhodium plating. I have several of their rings in X1.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
If unplated it will be/turn a 'creamy' yellow white. I actually love the effect and you don't see it all that often.

DreamingOfDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
I don’t wear it but some people say it turns yellow so it needs to be rhodium plated every year.

How can I prevent this from happening? Should I put it in a clear lined baggie (I do that w/ my sterling silver jewelry to prevent tarnishing,,,)

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
How can I prevent this from happening? Should I put it in a clear lined baggie (I do that w/ my sterling silver jewelry to prevent tarnishing,,,)

Not wearing your piece often will help but it's the rhodium plating that wears off over time rather than the metal changing colour. 'Natural' white gold contains a percentage of gold so it's impossible to escape the warmth entirely - hence the rhodium. To be honest, unless you plan to wear the item every day, things like pendants and brooches will probably stay nice and white for a long time. Rings worn everyday will eventually need to be replated but that could be in years' time not months.

DreamingOfDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Not wearing your piece often will help but it's the rhodium plating that wears off over time rather than the metal changing colour. 'Natural' white gold contains a percentage of gold so it's impossible to escape the warmth entirely - hence the rhodium. To be honest, unless you plan to wear the item every day, things like pendants and brooches will probably stay nice and white for a long time. Rings worn everyday will eventually need to be replated but that could be in years' time not months.

At this time, most of my rings don't fit so I'm currently in a silicone mother of pearl band (don't judge me) in a box in the safe & they look primarily intact. I wonder if them being in a box though collecting dust is counterproductive however.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
At this time, most of my rings don't fit so I'm currently in a silicone mother of pearl band (don't judge me) in a box in the safe & they look primarily intact. I wonder if them being in a box though collecting dust is counterproductive however.

He he - I like silicone bands!

You mean in that if they are locked away, they don't get enjoyed? Absolutely. I recently reset my oval stone because I rarely wore it in the setting it was in. I figured I'd enjoy it on special occasions only but what's the fun in that. In its new setting, I've been wearing it everyday and loving it. I think enjoy your pieces and see where it's at in a few years. If you don't like the mellowing out of the metal, then get it re-plated. I don't believe it's that expensive as it's literally a super thin layer of rhodium :)

Diamond_Enthusiast

Shiny_Rock
The rhodium plating on WG is what gives it that shiny silver finish. So if you want that look to be maintained, you'll probably need to re-plate at some point when the rhodium plating rubs off with wear over time. Though WG can use different alloys and apparently WG with nickel alloys tend to give a 'whiter' look (can consider if you don't have nickel allergies).

If you don't want to re-plate and is ok with the higher upfront cost, perhaps consider platinum. Being a naturally white metal, it will keep the silver color though it will develop patina over time. Some people love that patina look but if you don't, it can be professionally polished back to a high shine.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ive got some rhodium plated white gold rings that have sat in boxes for over 5 years
they look perfect
as they should as they have never really been worn
I have two silver rhodium plated rings same age that have been occasionally worn but have spent most of the time in their boxes also
Both still sparkly silver

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not a big deal to get it re-plated if you want to maintain it as it originally was. I wouldn't fret over it.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
Most of my 14K white gold items have stayed white, even with frequent wear and being 25 plus years old. Some have turned gray-ish in spots and needed rhodium re-plating. One bracelet that I rarely wore changed color where it looked like tarnished silver. A rhodium dip fixed it. I'm not sure storing them in a baggie will help. Usually the color change is due to wearing the item and the rhodium wearing off in certain spots. I was told it depends on the metal mixture that made the gold white; if it started out whiter, it will stay whiter; if it started out gray or yellow-ish you will see that color come through once the rhodium has worn away.

Last edited:

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock

As mentioned above, the rhodium plating on white gold rings is what gives them their white sheen. Wearing the rings frequently is the activity that wears aware the rhodium plating, revealing the yellowish tint of the white gold beneath the plating.

If you don't wear the rings, the plating will not wear off. Storing them in pouches with tarnish preventing paper is helpful. I store mine in a velvet-lined jewelry box or velvet pouches.

I believe you are concerned with weather storing your white gold rings will cause them to change color. This is not the case. Wearing your white gold rings is what causes them to change color by rubbing off the rhodium plating.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results