shape
carat
color
clarity

Dud or Deal?

james rodriguez

Rough_Rock
I purchased a diamond recently, but I have been looking at the videos and I can now see some strain. Since it is a CVD, I am worried it will turn out gray.
Video here.
This frame in particular worries me - the top right looks like it may have the fuzzy lines.
The diamond has not yet shipped and I can cancel it anytime, but I am hoping to propose in September and it takes about 2-3 weeks for the diamond to arrive. So I am starting to run out of time. Any thoughts would be super appreciated.

side-png.842508

Attachments

• side.png
    side.png
    227.3 KB · Views: 64

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I can't say for sure if strain/graining is responsible, but the arrows certainly aren't clear at the top, and it's noticeable even when you pull the magnification back.

If time wasn't an issue, I'd still look at bringing it in to see IRL but if you don't want to risk it, I'd keep looking. Not sure how much of a 'deal' this stone is if it checks out IRL but there's bound to be others worth checking out?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Everything looks great on the report:

This one does appear to lean towards grayish-silver, which I think makes it more visually appealing than the CVD diamonds that lean brownish or brownish-pink. Of course, that is strictly personal preference.

If you'd like an idea of how it may look, then check out the thread that @Stardusted made:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And presuming that your intended knows about, and is okay with receiving, a LG diamond…

james rodriguez

Rough_Rock
I can't say for sure if strain/graining is responsible, but the arrows certainly aren't clear at the top, and it's noticeable even when you pull the magnification back.

If time wasn't an issue, I'd still look at bringing it in to see IRL but if you don't want to risk it, I'd keep looking. Not sure how much of a 'deal' this stone is if it checks out IRL but there's bound to be others worth checking out?

Yeah I did not see it before, but once someone pointed it out to me, I cannot unsee it.
At first I thought it was maybe just the video quality, but not sure that is the case here.

How should I test the diamond in-peson?

Everything looks great on the report:

This one does appear to lean towards grayish-silver, which I think makes it more visually appealing than the CVD diamonds that lean brownish or brownish-pink. Of course, that is strictly personal preference.

If you'd like an idea of how it may look, then check out the thread that @Stardusted made:

That is true - I agree gray is better than the brown. Just tough because I am not sure if it crosses that magically threshold of 'too gray'

The thread is great! I will go take a look ! Thank you!
And presuming that your intended knows about, and is okay with receiving, a LG diamond…

ofc, we have discussed it and she is happy with a LGD

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I purchased a diamond recently, but I have been looking at the videos and I can now see some strain. Since it is a CVD, I am worried it will turn out gray.
Video here.
This frame in particular worries me - the top right looks like it may have the fuzzy lines.
The diamond has not yet shipped and I can cancel it anytime, but I am hoping to propose in September and it takes about 2-3 weeks for the diamond to arrive. So I am starting to run out of time. Any thoughts would be super appreciated.

side-png.842508

I’ve read elsewhere on this forum that CVD stria do not always cause problems with light return, but when it does, it often occurs in the context of post-growth treatment, which may be the issue here according to that IGI report. Still, IINAE.

james rodriguez

Rough_Rock
I’ve read elsewhere on this forum that CVD stria do not always cause problems with light return, but when it does, it often occurs in the context of post-growth treatment, which may be the issue here according to that IGI report. Still, IINAE.

Do you mind elaborating a bit? Are you saying that if the stria had occurred during the regular growth = not a huge deal, but when it happens in the post-growth treatment = bad? I am looking at other stones right now just in case so I want to make sure I know what to avoid/look :) thank you in advance!

PS. What does IINAE mean? lol

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah I did not see it before, but once someone pointed it out to me, I cannot unsee it.
At first I thought it was maybe just the video quality, but not sure that is the case here.

How should I test the diamond in-peson?

It could just be a badly cut though everything else looks good on paper. As @DejaWiz said, in person you can check out its true performance using a Ideal Scope or that toilet paper roll test. Videos can be deceiving.

james rodriguez

Rough_Rock
It could just be a badly cut though everything else looks good on paper. As @DejaWiz said, in person you can check out its true performance using a Ideal Scope or that toilet paper roll test. Videos can be deceiving.

Thank you for the feedback! I had originally set-up an arrangement with the seller where I put down a 50% deposit and I can cancel the purchase or pick anotehr diamond within 30 days before shipment. Now I am tempted to pay off the remainder just so it ships and I can see it in person to stop obsessing over whether it is good or bad.

What is the toilet paper roll test? I googled it but nothing useful came up.

Thank you!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Do you mind elaborating a bit? Are you saying that if the stria had occurred during the regular growth = not a huge deal, but when it happens in the post-growth treatment = bad? I am looking at other stones right now just in case so I want to make sure I know what to avoid/look :) thank you in advance!

PS. What does IINAE mean? lol

IINAE… should be IANAE… I am not an expert. :)

See https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/internal-graining-comparison.255344/#post-4700260

I get the impression from reading that thread that HPHT after growth of CVD affects the internal structure of the CVD in a way that might cause blurring or other interference with light return.

But the experts here would be better sources.

james rodriguez

Rough_Rock
IINAE… should be IANAE… I am not an expert. :)

See https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/internal-graining-comparison.255344/#post-4700260

I get the impression from reading that thread that HPHT after growth of CVD affects the internal structure of the CVD in a way that might cause blurring or other interference with light return.

But the experts here would be better sources.

I just got a new stone! Any thoughts?
I am worried that it is a tad overpriced ($6400 for the stone) GCAL311690013.jpg

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I just got a new stone! Any thoughts?
I am worried that it is a tad overpriced ($6400 for the stone) GCAL311690013.jpg

Ada Diamonds is generally more expensive than many, but it seems they are very scrutinizing of the diamonds they sell in order to eliminate duds. They ensure peace of mind.

james rodriguez

Rough_Rock
Ada Diamonds is generally more expensive than many, but it seems they are very scrutinizing of the diamonds they sell in order to eliminate duds. They ensure peace of mind.

That is a great point - we were in awe at the beauty of all the diamonds they showed us. So far, they have been incredibly helpful and easy to reach :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results