shape
carat
color
clarity

DSS... when does it end?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I mentioned earlier that I’m over DSS. I think my limit for centerstone size is around the 3ct mark. I know this because I just flipped through the 5+carat thread, and (no offense to anyone with rings in that thread) it held no appeal to me whatsoever....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just happened to see this and wanted to mention a couple of things. In regard to size, I have had an adjustment period with every upgrade! With each one, I would tell the vendor it was too big and I even listed my current stone for sale years ago! Thankfully it didn't sell, and I came to love the size and even get DSS! You know the story about my new setting, but I have to say, it definitely cured my DSS! I love it and will never change it (barring something awful like theft). But one thing I think is very important since we have similar stones is that I feel my diamond is even more beautiful in a halo setting which frames the stone! I love a solitaire, but I didn't know what I was missing from a little ring of sparkles surrounding my larger faceted center stone. Your stone is larger so it is a big decision. Off the top of my head, bright ice comes to mind because she had a 4 ct OEC and tried a couple of solitaire settings and finally set it in a halo. She has changed diamonds since then and set a colored stone in this halo setting. But I just thought you might want to see another diamond close to the size and cut of yours with a halo (I know you've looked at m-2-b's Emilya already). You also know my solution is to have an alternate ring to wear when major bling is not appropriate. I do think it's a tough decision, but your diamond is gorgeous either way!!!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just happened to see this and wanted to mention a couple of things. In regard to size, I have had an adjustment period with every upgrade! With each one, I would tell the vendor it was too big and I even listed my current stone for sale years ago! Thankfully it didn't sell, and I came to love the size and even get DSS! You know the story about my new setting, but I have to say, it definitely cured my DSS! I love it and will never change it (barring something awful like theft). But one thing I think is very important since we have similar stones is that I feel my diamond is even more beautiful in a halo setting which frames the stone! I love a solitaire, but I didn't know what I was missing from a little ring of sparkles surrounding my larger faceted center stone. Your stone is larger so it is a big decision. Off the top of my head, bright ice comes to mind because she had a 4 ct OEC and tried a couple of solitaire settings and finally set it in a halo. She has changed diamonds since then and set a colored stone in this halo setting. But I just thought you might want to see another diamond close to the size and cut of yours with a halo (I know you've looked at m-2-b's Emilya already). You also know my solution is to have an alternate ring to wear when major bling is not appropriate. I do think it's a tough decision, but your diamond is gorgeous either way!!!

Hmm, that is very interesting to know and something I wouldn't have expected. One of my concerns was losing the outline of my stone in the mass of sparkle, so it's good to know that that likely won't happen with an OEC/transitional type stone. I had forgotten about bright ice's halo, so I'm checking out her thread now. Thanks, DS!

laurakayp

Rough_Rock
No you are not crazy - perspective just gets skewed. You have a large, beautiful diamond and I am sure you love it! I think I must have missed this ring so congratulations! Do you think it would help to focus on another piece of jewelry that you would like to have? I honestly think that sometimes we get fixated on things is such a way that we lose our sense of joy about what we do have. The great thing about jewelry is that no piece has to be forever so knowing that you do have choices - even if that means going larger at some point - should make it easier to enjoy this diamond. I will say though that because you wouldn’t want your husband to know your feelings tells me that even you doubt the fact that it is too small. I don’t say this to be judgmental as I know he would probably think ‘here we go again - lol!’ I am just saying this because you probably know he wouldn’t validate your feelings on the diamond being too small.
Wear it and enjoy it in all its glory! There may come a time that you will have to have that ‘come to husband. ‘ talk if the nagging in your mind won’t stop. In the meantime, enjoy it, lean on us like minded people and go to Home Depot to watch it put on a show!!

The only reason I go to home Depot

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is so stunning and looks lovely on your hand!! But 'you' have to be in love with it and content. Size is a personal choice;)2

My 7.5mm stone is small by PS standards. Me making it a three stone w/ halo made all the difference for me. I love halos. My center halo recently damaged and unfortunately I had to get ring repaired so I decided on resetting into a larger halo to include my side stones...the finger real estate will be 25mm.
I take pleasure seeing all of the many upgrades on PS so many gorgeous rings and everys personal style. That's why I joined PS many years ago.

But I Love my "little" stones and enjoy creating fun jewelry pieces.=)2

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is so stunning and looks lovely on your hand!! But 'you' have to be in love with it and content. Size is a personal choice;)2

My 7.5mm stone is small by PS standards. Me making it a three stone w/ halo made all the difference for me. I love halos. My center halo recently damaged and unfortunately I had to get ring repaired so I decided on resetting into a larger halo to include my side stones...the finger real estate will be 25mm.
I take pleasure seeing all of the many upgrades on PS so many gorgeous rings and everys personal style. That's why I joined PS many years ago.

But I Love my "little" stones and enjoy creating fun jewelry pieces.=)2

Thank you, that's so sweet of you to say!

25mm, wow, now that is finger coverage! Have you shared pictures of the reset halo? I loved your previous halo--the perfect meld of delicate and substantial, and DK's work is always stunning. I have recently gone over to the halo side, and there may be one in my near future. :halo:

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you and I say a 'Hello' to your possible future 'Halo' ;)2

Yeah about the finger coverage, it is a bit much. Ring is in process...I hope I like it :twisted2:

PS has opened my eyes to halos, Cause there are Sooooooo many different styles and looks for them. I had no idea.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went from nothing to Bella, so as far as an ER goes, no DSS.

I’m thinking of getting bigger studs, but with a big move, new house, new car and all new electrical goods, it’s not a priority.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t have DSS anymore since my upgrade. It’s plenty big enough for me. I truly wouldn’t want a larger diamond. What I’m doing now is pining for an emerald cut..I drool over them. I tell myself I can’t have everything I want. I’m determined to just enjoy everyone else’s..

ME TOO!!!

The solution is clear, @MamaBee. We need to go halves in a whopper EC!

For me, a 5+ct OEC was too big - mostly because it sat so high and hung off my finger like a door knocker. A 4-4.5ct MRB is perfect for me, and I see my newest solitaire as scratching the itch for good. I'm also adding a band - smallish by some measures - (1.3ctw) to bling it up.

If it ever *really* feels too small, I'll go back to a 3 stone, rather than add a halo. I do love a nice sized cluster, tho - and the finger coverage from those is awesome, without breaking the bank. Made with super-ideals, the bling is off the chain, and they're utterly eye catching!

I'd love an 11 x 8mm EC - should I sign you up for this, @MamaBee??

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
ME TOO!!!

The solution is clear, @MamaBee. We need to go halves in a whopper EC!

For me, a 5+ct OEC was too big - mostly because it sat so high and hung off my finger like a door knocker. A 4-4.5ct MRB is perfect for me, and I see my newest solitaire as scratching the itch for good. I'm also adding a band - smallish by some measures - (1.3ctw) to bling it up.

If it ever *really* feels too small, I'll go back to a 3 stone, rather than add a halo. I do love a nice sized cluster, tho - and the finger coverage from those is awesome, without breaking the bank. Made with super-ideals, the bling is off the chain, and they're utterly eye catching!

I'd love an 11 x 8mm EC - should I sign you up for this, @MamaBee??

@mrs-b If I lived near you I would go for it!!! We would get the whitest one they have! Haha
I also decided no more halos for me. I love the one that I had set with Bee..but only with a colored center.
I love my daisy cluster ring though. She’s not perfect…but perfect to me.
I’m a crazy person..I was searching on Ruby Lane for heaven knows what! I don’t need anything! I can’t help myself!! There’s no hope for me. Thank goodness I’m not impulsive. I think everything to death..

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b If I lived near you I would go for it!!! We would get the whitest one they have! Haha
I also decided no more halos for me. I love the one that I had set with Bee..but only with a colored center.
I love my daisy cluster ring though. She’s not perfect…but perfect to me.
I’m a crazy person..I was searching on Ruby Lane for heaven knows what! I don’t need anything! I can’t help myself!! There’s no hope for me. Thank goodness I’m not impulsive. I think everything to death..

I have to say, I have a bunch of beautiful rings, so 6 months a year with a big EC would be plenty for me!

I really am paring down, tho. I'm going to use all my remaining melee in one last piece - either a mosaic necklace, or a mosaic ring. If I do a mosaic ring, it will be a big oval - and I'll love that! So that might scratch the itch for something huge. Would be a heck of a lot cheaper than a 6 ct colorless emerald cut!!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to say, I have a bunch of beautiful rings, so 6 months a year with a big EC would be plenty for me!

I really am paring down, tho. I'm going to use all my remaining melee in one last piece - either a mosaic necklace, or a mosaic ring. If I do a mosaic ring, it will be a big oval - and I'll love that! So that might scratch the itch for something huge. Would be a heck of a lot cheaper than a 6 ct colorless emerald cut!!
@mrs-b Let’s do a 5 carat. It’s more discreet..:bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results