shape
carat
color
clarity

DSS... when does it end?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love love love my engagement ring, amongst other pieces of jewellery I have and so what I do is “rest them”.
For eg, currently I’m not wearing my engagement ring, I don’t even look at it. In another week or two I’ll get it back out and put it on again and I will love it all over again.
So grab yourself another ring, CZ even, as long as it small and unspectacular, and wear it for a few weeks. Then get your real ring back out and it will seem HUGE and extra beautiful.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to say that a 10 mm round was my "holy grail"... then I got one (or very close to it). My eyes have gotten used to seeing it, and it just seems normal now. I even reached out to DK regarding a three stone, but hated it once I got the mold. I don't think DSS ever really goes away, but I am very happy with my diamond, regardless. :)

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm probably not the right person to ask as I never craved a large diamond solitaire. But these things may help. I don't wear my diamond every day, just when I want sparkle. I have other rings, including both bands and color stone rings I also love and wear. (I love variety). I have a large color stone ring, for the times I really want to satisfy the "bling" quotient. Mentally I moved on to being obsessed with fixing up my house and yard. Your ring is very large and very beautiful. I would say take breaks where you say wear just your wedding band, or with a thin diamond band. When you take out the solitaire after a break you will realize how big it is.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly do not have DSS and am very satisfied with my larger EC that I saved for 5 years and chose in person myself.

It is very sentimental and I shall never part with it.

I may, just may, re-set it some time in the future, as the setting is not sufficient robust that I found out the hard way when I managed to bend it out of shape by banging against a table, DOH!

DK :))

Oh no, sorry to hear that your setting got bent out of shape! I love your EC and setting but will enjoy following along your re-set project if you decide to go that route. I'm thinking more and more that a halo might be the way to go for me.

@Kim N Your ring is beautiful and I'd love to see more pictures! my DSS comes and goes. It goes away if I haven't worn anything in a while, but returns pretty quickly once the rings are back on. Has nothing to do with comparing to/competing with other people, but how it looks "to me", at home, on my hand. My eyes just get used to the size. :rolleyes: A 10mm diamond on a 13.5mm finger sounds like enough coverage on paper, but when I look at it in person, in 3D, generally from an angle because sane people don't walk around with their hand fully facing their face... there seems to be so much space left to cover!! A 3 stone would be a good idea for side coverage, and I'm still toying with the idea of re-setting mine as a 3 stone. We'll see. My brain knows i'm out of my mind but it wants what it wants.:lol:

Yes, I agree with all this, except that I wish I had a 13.5mm finger. I'm a size 6, so I think mine's more like 16.45mm! :(2 I stand by my opinion that yours looks humongous on you. :bigsmile: And my DSS is not from comparing to other people either; it just looks very normal and not big when I'm alone and staring at it. You're right--there is so much 3D space to cover! We should be walking around with our hand four inches away from our face!

For me DSS is over.

My ring and studs are finally "big" enough.

But and this is a big but (I cannot lie haha) once I reset Bubbalah I am sure I will have DSS once again. So I am hesitant to reset and she does look incredible (IMO) in her current setting though I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

I think this perspective shot says it all. This, for me, is my perfect size. No DSS.

perspectivebubbalahstripeddress.jpg

OECstudselfieincar.png

ETA this has nothing to do with other's and their bling and everything to do with me and what I love and enjoy wearing. I am completely satiated with the size.

That is the ultimate finger coverage, @missy. Just blinding bling from one side of the finger to the other. :love: As I said above, I'm contemplating this more and more.

I love love love my engagement ring, amongst other pieces of jewellery I have and so what I do is “rest them”.
For eg, currently I’m not wearing my engagement ring, I don’t even look at it. In another week or two I’ll get it back out and put it on again and I will love it all over again.
So grab yourself another ring, CZ even, as long as it small and unspectacular, and wear it for a few weeks. Then get your real ring back out and it will seem HUGE and extra beautiful.

I'm probably not the right person to ask as I never craved a large diamond solitaire. But these things may help. I don't wear my diamond every day, just when I want sparkle. I have other rings, including both bands and color stone rings I also love and wear. (I love variety). I have a large color stone ring, for the times I really want to satisfy the "bling" quotient. Mentally I moved on to being obsessed with fixing up my house and yard. Your ring is very large and very beautiful. I would say take breaks where you say wear just your wedding band, or with a thin diamond band. When you take out the solitaire after a break you will realize how big it is.

I totally thought this was going to work for me too, because I had to send the ring in for tweaking shortly after I got it. So I was only wearing my bands for the last two and a half weeks, and I expected it to look huge once I got it back. But it looked exactly the same--just normal. :lol:

I used to say that a 10 mm round was my "holy grail"... then I got one (or very close to it). My eyes have gotten used to seeing it, and it just seems normal now. I even reached out to DK regarding a three stone, but hated it once I got the mold. I don't think DSS ever really goes away, but I am very happy with my diamond, regardless. :)

Yes, this is what I need to accept, that I'm thrilled with my diamond even though DSS won't ever really go away. This stone is my holy grail. I know you switched from a halo to a solitaire for lifestyle reasons and upgraded the diamond size, but do you think the extra blinginess from a halo helps with DSS?

OT @Kim N , this beautiful ring deserves it's own thread.....did I miss it? Please post more details and more pictures!

I've posted photos here and there in SMTB but haven't gotten around to posting its own thread yet. I've been remiss!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I upgraded to 2.10 and thought it was huge. My friend tells me it looks like a Boulder. 6 months later it looks small to me. DSS never stops.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont have any dss. My ring cost as much as I care to spend on a little pebble of crystalized carbon. My husband and kids think it's crazy and I dont need to stir them up. Now I look at my ring and I dont think it looks that big, but when you get used to something that's how it goes. I remember the first time I saw a 1 carat ring - I thought it was so big!¹

I don’t have DSS anymore since my upgrade. It’s plenty big enough for me. I truly wouldn’t want a larger diamond. What I’m doing now is pining for an emerald cut..I drool over them. I tell myself I can’t have everything I want. I’m determined to just enjoy everyone else’s..

I think this is where I'm at, too. At least, I'm hoping that my soon-to-be-mine 3-stone OEC will be IT for me in terms of round diamonds. But there's always other shapes...and non-ring items...and CSs that I'm coveting :D

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m tapped out. Don’t want to spend more on my ering. Tbh, my last upgrade was not motivated by dss but rather by color and clarity. I haven’t experienced dss yet but it’s only been less than a year since my last upgrade.
Have your considered a halo? A halo goes a long way...
My other realization is that If I ever upgrade again, I would opt for an emerald cut bc I’m totally drawn to elongated looks. When I turn 53, I will be eligible to retire as a teacher and if I have met my financial goals, it will be sooo tempting to do so. At that point, I plan to start bribing myself annually bc the longer I teach, the higher the pension, lol. I’d like to think that I’m not greedy so I will need a real motivation to hang in there!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I upgraded to 2.10 and thought it was huge. My friend tells me it looks like a Boulder. 6 months later it looks small to me. DSS never stops.

Yep, I thought it was huge for about 3 days. My sister, who wears a 1ct and is not into diamonds, thinks it's obscene. But when I'm looking at it by myself it just looks normal.

I dont have any dss. My ring cost as much as I care to spend on a little pebble of crystalized carbon. My husband and kids think it's crazy and I dont need to stir them up. Now I look at my ring and I dont think it looks that big, but when you get used to something that's how it goes. I remember the first time I saw a 1 carat ring - I thought it was so big!

Me too!

I’m tapped out. Don’t want to spend more on my ering. Tbh, my last upgrade was not motivated by dss but rather by color and clarity. I haven’t experienced dss yet but it’s only been less than a year since my last upgrade.
Have your considered a halo? A halo goes a long way...
My other realization is that If I ever upgrade again, I would opt for an emerald cut bc I’m totally drawn to elongated looks. When I turn 53, I will be eligible to retire as a teacher and if I have met my financial goals, it will be sooo tempting to do so. At that point, I plan to start bribing myself annually bc the longer I teach, the higher the pension, lol. I’d like to think that I’m not greedy so I will need a real motivation to hang in there!

Yes, definitely starting to consider a halo. In fact, I was wondering about your re-sets and reading one of your old threads titled "Would you own two settings?" Do you think if you go back and forth between your current setting and the Emilya that the prongs will eventually become unusable? I think I would love the idea of switching back and forth between a solitaire and a halo (like once a year) if the prongs didn't degrade too much over time.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think this is where I'm at, too. At least, I'm hoping that my soon-to-be-mine 3-stone OEC will be IT for me in terms of round diamonds. But there's always other shapes...and non-ring items...and CSs that I'm coveting :D

@AnastasiaBeaverhausen I found that there will always be something that I want... I’m just going to try to say no to myself...I think I have one more something to collect..but that will be the final purchase. I sold my former engagement ring, Libby, so I have a little bit of that money left. I’m going to take my time..It won’t be a big purchase though because I’ve been using some of the money to tweak rings that I had and didn’t wear. I’ve had a good run so it will be a relief to be finished!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think I get a high from dreaming about and working towards something, so I'm always coveting something. Some of those things I will probably never get, but it's fun to dream.

Mine isn't DSS so much as it's collecting different cuts and colors! Although I will admit each new piece tends to be larger than the last :)

Ha! I'm more of a ORTRTA sort; otherwise I could see myself doing that.

@AnastasiaBeaverhausen I found that there will always be something that I want... I’m just going to try to say no to myself...I think I have one more something to collect..but that will be the final purchase. I sold my former engagement ring, Libby, so I have a little bit of that money left. I’m going to take my time..It won’t be a big purchase though because I’ve been using some of the money to tweak rings that I had and didn’t wear. I’ve had a good run so it will be a relief to be finished!

This is me too. I don't always get it because I might change my mind in the time it takes to save up for it, but there's always something I want.

Last edited:

TwinkleStar

Shiny_Rock
It's only been a month, and DSS has already started to set in. :rolleyes: I feel like only you all would understand. When does it end??? At this point I feel like it would need to look like this for DSS to not happen. :lol:

ring-pop.jpg

Your ring is so gorgeous and looks massive on your hand! You can always come here and have us admire your set!

I was surprised how fast DSS set in, and I’m still looking to set it properly. When I got it in the mail, I was really happy with the cut and color but it was like, “After all that hubbub, it really is just a small rock after all, isn’t it?” (especially not set!)

I *do* think I would get uncomfortable regularly wearing anything bigger since I’m still wrangling the littles, and I’m surrounded by people who wear larger ones! But maybe that will change as we head back into more normal routines.

P.S. being back on this space has now made me obsess over OECs and CSs though!

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
Your diamond looks so beautiful! It deserves a thread of its own!!! :D Or did I missed it? May I know how many ct is it? I think with that size a halo with rose cut diamonds like VC vintage sun star is beautiful and going to cover all your finger or just normal Halo from Maytal Hannah/SK. Or 3 stones with pear sides also going to give you good coverage. But regardless, I love how it looks now too:D

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:oops:Your ring is so gorgeous and looks massive on your hand! You can always come here and have us admire your set!

I was surprised how fast DSS set in, and I’m still looking to set it properly. When I got it in the mail, I was really happy with the cut and color but it was like, “After all that hubbub, it really is just a small rock after all, isn’t it?” (especially not set!)

I *do* think I would get uncomfortable regularly wearing anything bigger since I’m still wrangling the littles, and I’m surrounded by people who wear larger ones! But maybe that will change as we head back into more normal routines.

P.S. being back on this space has now made me obsess over OECs and CSs though!

Thank you so much for your comments! I agree, after all the anticipation, the least the diamond could do was clean my house, prove a mathematical theorem, or ensure world peace. :lol: I hope you post more as your setting journey continues.

Your diamond looks so beautiful! It deserves a thread of its own!!! :D Or did I missed it? May I know how many ct is it? I think with that size a halo with rose cut diamonds like VC vintage sun star is beautiful and going to cover all your finger or just normal Halo from Maytal Hannah/SK. Or 3 stones with pear sides also going to give you good coverage. But regardless, I love how it looks now too:D

Thank you, @munchee! I've posted a few photos in SMTB but not its own thread yet. :oops: It is 4.3. The idea of whole finger coverage is very appealing, I have to admit. I had not thought of pear sides until now, but I've always loved pears, so thanks for the idea! Though I will live with it as a solitaire for now at least.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I frequently long for a bigger diamond OEC even though I don't wear the diamond rings I already have. I think the old saying "familiarity breeds contempt" might play a part in it. Or maybe just the thrill of the hunt. I love looking at the big OEC's that are posted here. It does make me happy to see them.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
For me it isn't so much DSS as getting something new or working on a project :) So after getting my oec I reset my original mrb then started looking more into colored stones :) I hope that after these latest two projects I'm done until Christmas but the temptation is real.

Also @missy you've mentioned a reset for your gorgeous oec for years - when is that going to happen?! :lol:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, this is what I need to accept, that I'm thrilled with my diamond even though DSS won't ever really go away. This stone is my holy grail. I know you switched from a halo to a solitaire for lifestyle reasons and upgraded the diamond size, but do you think the extra blinginess from a halo helps with DSS?

I think that if you desire a halo, then a halo will help. However, if a larger center stone is what you're really after, then that is the only thing that will scratch that itch. I got rid of my halo because I longed for the simplicity of a solitaire AND I wanted a larger stone. My halo had more coverage than my solitaire, but the solitaire style is what I was after. I've since upgraded my stone from an I/SI2 to a G/VS2 with ideal angles, and I'm even happier. It is the same size, but the carat weight went from 3.33 to 3.38. I am finished. This is my last stone. I may halo it again one day, but I am a solitaire girl at heart.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I am similar to @Asscherhalo_lover in that I like different cuts and different items.

I do tend to have multiple old cuts. I have sent some things in for consignment and if those sell, I am planning to likely do a larger stone than my 3.09 OMC, but I'm on the fence about it and if I'll wear it.

But, for other cuts, I only have one. I have one emerald cut for example, one oval cut, one old cut pear, one rose cut ring. I'd like an asscher someday. But I only want one of those. I don't own any modern rounds, because I don't like them. I don't ever see myself buying a princess cut, radiant cut, etc. I don't dislike modern cushions for earrings, but I don't see myself buying any when I have other earrings already.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that if you desire a halo, then a halo will help. However, if a larger center stone is what you're really after, then that is the only thing that will scratch that itch. I got rid of my halo because I longed for the simplicity of a solitaire AND I wanted a larger stone. My halo had more coverage than my solitaire, but the solitaire style is what I was after. I've since upgraded my stone from an I/SI2 to a G/VS2 with ideal angles, and I'm even happier. It is the same size, but the carat weight went from 3.33 to 3.38. I am finished. This is my last stone. I may halo it again one day, but I am a solitaire girl at heart.

Thanks, @msop04, that's very helpful. Still mulling over setting options, but I believe (famous last words) this is my last stone as well.

I don’t know if I’m qualified to weigh in really because I don’t have an e-ring yet but over time I’ve tried my best to inculcate a sense of contentment in myself with my possessions... like sure I always want to do new projects or I want new things but I try to be super disciplined about them so I don’t fulfill everything I want and I have to wait (sometimes years) to get the things I wantDelayed gratification can be a good thing. Also, just looking at something pretty and liking it without wanting it is probably good for me! I think it keeps me grounded!!

Like for studs, I have a pair of 3ctw studs that I’m happy with. My earlobes are enormous and could probably easily take earrings twice or even thrice that ctw, and if someone was giving them to me for free I’d take them, but I’m not bothered or motivated to upgrade my earrings. The coverage is what it is and they look really nice on me! They don’t look big to me or on me but oh well. I’m far more tempted to get a (probably much smaller) pair in a different shape like ECs because I love the elongated shape and broad flashes in the ear.

Your ring is gorgeous, and HUGE. You can play around with different settings etc if you think it would help you, but I feel like the thing to work on here isn’t “having DSS” but “dealing with DSS”. It’s like “yes the diamond looks smaller and more normal-sized and not standout, so what?”

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know if I’m qualified to weigh in really because I don’t have an e-ring yet but over time I’ve tried my best to inculcate a sense of contentment in myself with my possessions... like sure I always want to do new projects or I want new things but I try to be super disciplined about them so I don’t fulfill everything I want and I have to wait (sometimes years) to get the things I wantDelayed gratification can be a good thing. Also, just looking at something pretty and liking it without wanting it is probably good for me! I think it keeps me grounded!!

Like for studs, I have a pair of 3ctw studs that I’m happy with. My earlobes are enormous and could probably easily take earrings twice or even thrice that ctw, and if someone was giving them to me for free I’d take them, but I’m not bothered or motivated to upgrade my earrings. The coverage is what it is and they look really nice on me! They don’t look big to me or on me but oh well. I’m far more tempted to get a (probably much smaller) pair in a different shape like ECs because I love the elongated shape and broad flashes in the ear.

Your ring is gorgeous, and HUGE. You can play around with different settings etc if you think it would help you, but I feel like the thing to work on here isn’t “having DSS” but “dealing with DSS”. It’s like “yes the diamond looks smaller and more normal-sized and not standout, so what?”

@AllAboardTheBlingTrain thank you so much for your thoughts--I love what you've written here. It is definitely something I need to work on. I haven't gotten there yet, but I'm working on being grateful and happy with my pieces.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also @missy you've mentioned a reset for your gorgeous oec for years - when is that going to happen?! :lol:

Haha good question! First I wanted to live with Bubbalah in the setting she came in for a while to see what I thought. Then we had RW gate, then Greg's health issues, then the pandemic and more health issues so let's just say I got a bit delayed in my decision. In the meantime I am in love with her no matter her setting and it has really grown on me. It is a hard decision and believe it or not I have only had Bubbalah for two and a half years so not that long in the grand scheme of things.

I love my OEC stud settings which are original to the OECs so maybe I will go down the road of a similar setting for Bubbalah? I am not sure because deep down in my heart I want a true antique setting for Bubbalah just like I have for my OEC studs. And I know for an almost 5 carat OEC that is challenging (maybe impossible) to come by...but that would be a dream come true. A true antique setting just like my true antique OEC.

Top view of the OEC stud settings ... with Bubbalah in there too :)
bubbalahmaryannandgingerinbluejewelrybox.png

Profile of the OEC stud settings.

maryannandgingerprofile.jpeg.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results