shape
carat
color
clarity

DSLR Camera recommendations

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I''m considering getting a DSLR camera(probably a Canon Rebel or a Nikon something or other... still need to do some research).

I can afford a new one but have a hard time parting with that much money so I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions on where to purchase a refurbished one. I saw that Canon had a section on their website for refurbished cameras so that might be an option but I didn''t see anything similar for Nikon. Are cameras refurbished by 3rd parties out of the question? Thanks!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
DH has the Canon Rebel xti and upgraded at xmas to the the Canon 5D Mark II as they use the same lenses. The lenses is where the $$$$ go sadly. The standard one with the Rebel is okay but big difference with the seperate ones.

I''m supposed to use the Rebel now, but I nearly always use the Canon G10 - it''s not a DSLR, but takes great pictures and is small enough to fit in a diaper bag. Getting the DSLR out is a faff and so I leave it to DH - when we go out, he looks after the camera and I look after Daisy...
20.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love my Nikon D60 and think I have taken some amazing photos w/o even going off of auto. I do rely on my Canon p&s b/c the Nikon is a beast and not always appropriate. I bought both new but I know TGal bought a refurbished one amazon or ebay (can''t remember).

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Oobie, both TGal and I purchased Nikon refurbs through Cameta with great success.

If memory serves me well, I think TGal''s first D40 from them had a slight issue (blown pixel, I think, in the LCD) and she returned it and had another one sent that was fantastic. The second one she got had very few actuations on it, too.

Based on her experience with them, I pointed my husband to them for an xmas pressie just over 2 years ago. I got the Nikon D40x and have been thrilled with it.

I was in the same spot; I could have afforded a new one but wasn''t sure how much I''d end up dragging it out or whether I''d like it, so I wanted to go refurb to try it out. I''ve been exceptionally happy with it, and I felt really comfortable with Cameta because they give a one-year warranty (and you can do 4-yr extended if you wanted to).

I figured ok, I''ll get the body refurb, and if I like it, I can always repurpose the lenses to a new model if I wish to later. Mine works so well, though, that I don''t see the point in upgrading. I really recommend them.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2010 12:08:48 AM
Author: Allison D.
Oobie, both TGal and I purchased Nikon refurbs through Cameta with great success.

If memory serves me well, I think TGal''s first D40 from them had a slight issue (blown pixel, I think, in the LCD) and she returned it and had another one sent that was fantastic. The second one she got had very few actuations on it, too.

Based on her experience with them, I pointed my husband to them for an xmas pressie just over 2 years ago. I got the Nikon D40x and have been thrilled with it.

I was in the same spot; I could have afforded a new one but wasn''t sure how much I''d end up dragging it out or whether I''d like it, so I wanted to go refurb to try it out. I''ve been exceptionally happy with it, and I felt really comfortable with Cameta because they give a one-year warranty (and you can do 4-yr extended if you wanted to).

I figured ok, I''ll get the body refurb, and if I like it, I can always repurpose the lenses to a new model if I wish to later. Mine works so well, though, that I don''t see the point in upgrading. I really recommend them.
Yes that is correct. My first camera also had 1000s of shots (actuations) taken. It looked a bit used (scuffed up), but that''s the idea of a refurb/demo model. That it''s not new. I did call because of the pixel issue and they were great. Second camera was pretty much brand new.

This was about a year and a half ago. Back the choices were the D40 vs D60 for an entry level Nikon DSLR. Now there is the D3000. D40s are still popular, probably because of Ken Rockwell and still in demand. Last a check a few months ago, D40 refurb bodies were still going for 250 bucks or so.

This doesn''t make a whole lot of sense when you get the latest technology with a lens brand new now for not much more. For this reason, I recommended to my friend to get the D3000.

I love the D40 because it''s easy to use and takes good photos, and I got to spend money on the lenses instead.

BTW the refurb was purchased through ebay at the cameta ebay stores.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
B&H and Adorama are also good for refurbs - I have bought from both of them.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I have a fairly recent post on this same topic. MonkeyP + TGal told me to consider the D3000 via Amazon as their margins are so narrow. The warranty on a new camera makes them attractive.
I did, and found the best price that way. The camera came from 6th St. and it was cheaper than their website prices.
This was for my teenage daughter. She loves it, and it is enough camera for her. She takes photography in school and loves it. I thought it was the best for her needs and didn't feel the need to go any more expensive. Lots of the next level ones also offer video features, and she did not need that.
Consider the size and weight in your hands. They are big if you are used to a point and shoot. She just has the lens that comes with it. It will not get close enough for good jewelry shots. However, the next lens she wants is a fisheye.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
We also got a Nikon D90 through ebay. DH loves it, but it can be a bit of a pain to haul around. So I bought a P&S to throw in the diaper bag. We take about an equal amount of pics with the cameras.

The only reason we went with a higher model Nikon was that the D40 & D60 weren''t compatible with a lense we already had and loved.

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
I have a Nikon D90. My Nikon F100 was purchased on ebay. It was in mint condition. I''d check out B&H Photo.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have the Nikon D3000 and LOVE it. we got it at costco for a great price right before Christmas. I"m not sure what they are selling them for now.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have the Pentax K10d and are very happy with it. We did spend the $$ on a higher quality lens and it is well worth the expense.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I think I would have to go with Nikon also.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I''ve checked out all of the sites/sellers that people recommended here but I''m still not sure about which camera. I noticed that no one has recommended Olympus at all... any particular reason?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2010 7:54:15 PM
Author: oobiecoo
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I''ve checked out all of the sites/sellers that people recommended here but I''m still not sure about which camera. I noticed that no one has recommended Olympus at all... any particular reason?

For me personally, I have simply never used them - my first DSLR was a gift, and it was a Nikon D60. I do know people that have Olympus DSLR''s though and love them, I just don''t know much about them myself.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
My FI just got me the Canon Rebel 2 weeks ago. I am just putting it together and have not taken it out yet. But the reviews I read about it are amazing. And he told me he did a lot of research, and for the price the thought it offered the best picture quality.

If you are still looking in a couple weeks, I will give you my opinion on it after I have taken it out.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it might really depend on what you''re shooting and why you''re choosing one brand over another. For me, I have a Nikon F4 that was gifted to my husband just hanging around the house, complete with 80s Nikon L glass, so it made sense for me to go with a Nikon. I have yet to buy adaptors for it, though.

I think D90 refurb bodies are in the $400 - $600 range now, from what I''ve seen. The reason I ultimately chose to go D90 over D60 was the autofocus motor and the fact that a whole bunch of my D60 owning food blogger friends were all selling their D60s after 6 months of "practice" for D90s.
3.gif
The HD video is nice, too.

My D90 was a gift from my DH thorugh Amazon, and although it''s my first DSLR, I feel like I can grow with it. I try not to shoot in Auto if I can help it, and use it primarily for my food blog and travel pics.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
OOB, I got the sense from your initial post that you were already narrowed to either Canon or Nikon. If others also got htat same sense, that could be part of why you aren''t hearing about Olympus.

Beyond that, though, I think that if you have any resale considerations at all (may want to sell it down the line to upgrade equipment, etc.), Canon and Nikon probably have a wider resale audience than Olympus.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock

Personally, I don''t have a bad opinion of Olympus. When it comes to a more professional type camera, however, it''s Nikon then everyone else.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2010 3:44:29 PM
Author: Allison D.

OOB, I got the sense from your initial post that you were already narrowed to either Canon or Nikon. If others also got htat same sense, that could be part of why you aren''t hearing about Olympus.

Beyond that, though, I think that if you have any resale considerations at all (may want to sell it down the line to upgrade equipment, etc.), Canon and Nikon probably have a wider resale audience than Olympus.
Ditto this! Either Nikon or Canon will have a wider market than Olympus.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results