shape
carat
color
clarity

drugstore finds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
one of my favorite things to do is to try out new makeup bath and body products. i love going to the store reading the labels and wondering if this is THE product that will miraculously transform me to model standard
3.gif
hehe...haven''t found it yet but it''s fun to look and try. this can get pricey with department store brands (esp if the product sucks) so i like doing it with drugstore brands so if i decide i don''t like it, i''m only out a few bucks. anyways, always looking for new fun cheapie products to try out so post them here!

some of my fave drugstore finds:

softsoap naturals body wash - $2.50 for a humongous bottle and very moisturizing! my skin is dry dry dry and this is the only bodywash that doesn''t make me RUN for the lotion after a shower. it smells nice (the original is MIlk and Honey which has a cocnutty beachy smell, and they now also have lavendar and rose) and is cheap cheap cheap. what more can i ask for in a product?

oil of olay continous night recovery cream - one of the more expensive drugstore finds at ~$17 - just started this and i love it! nice texutre, creamy but not oily and very moisturizing. my face is also dry dry dry and i have to moisturize pretty intensively. with the drier winter weather, i''ve been using this at night after i wash my face and wake up with glowy dewy skin. i''ve stopped using foundation and powder. seriously.

ok i know this is weird but my day to day shampoo and conditioners are the more expensive salon brands (i alternate between redken all soft and tigi bedhead moisture maniac) and my once a week or so 100% guranteed (so far) hair routine for a good hair day is the much cheaper is johnson and johnson''s baby shampoo as a gentle clarifying shampoo to washout any buildup (esp with the moiturizing and smoothing shampoos i like to use that leaves residue) and feria deep conditioner (which you can buy seperately from the hair color). i have dry, fine, stick straight hair and lots of it and it tends to get very flyaway and static-y or dull and lifeless and this combo makes my hair SUPER shiny and silky and bouncy(even my hubby comments on how shiny my hair is when i use this). it makes my hair feel so good i''m almost afraid t use it more than once a week (too much of a good thing and all that
3.gif
)

hmmm...what else have i found that i love. my two fave mascaras are drugstore. sky high curves is my fave when i want very curly flirty lashes. it doesn''t curl, but holds curl really well after i use a curler (i love my shu uemera which is NOT a drugstore find!) and i also love covergirls lash exact beautifully seperated lush but natural look. actually lash exact would be my holy grail except it doesn''t hold curl very well.

so any suggestions for things to try?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
yep i do! my FAVORITE, can''t live without conditioner is Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Conditioner. LOVE THIS STUFF. seriously, can you beat $6? i''ve tried pretty expensive stuff and nothing works like this stuff. i have thin hair but lots of it and it''s yucky straight and flat to my head. but since it''s blonde, it tends to look dry and broomstickish. this conditioner turns straw to silk. i swear by it.

300conditioner.jpg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
and no this isn''t a drugstore find, but i had to post it after reading about your mascara stuff. i freakin'' can''t live without this mascara. i get the black curling one and it''s by kevin aucion. you can find it a select stores or order it online. sometimes i order 2 and save one just so that i''m never out. it separates and lengthens my lashes perfectly. and it''s no clumps ever. and when i rub my eyes thoughout the day it doesn''t make dark circles under them like some mascaras. it doesn''t run or anything. yet it comes off so easily. everyone that i''ve mentioned it to become hooked.

kevynaucoin_themascara.jpg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Great idea for a thread Ginger! I am a sucker for brand name department store products, but there are a few drugstore finds that I can''t live without. First I want to second JCrow''s recommendation for the Neutrogena Triple Moisture Conditioner. I just started using this stuff and it is terrific! I also like the shampoo. My other favorites are:

Neutrogena Norwegian Formula hand cream - haven''t found anything better

Blistex Complete Moisture lip balm - so smooth and soothing to the lips

Aveeno Postively Smooth shave gel - hair does not grow back as fast with this and it smells great

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/29/2006 7:43:14 PM
Author:gingerBcookie

softsoap naturals body wash - $2.50 for a humongous bottle and very moisturizing! my skin is dry dry dry and this is the only bodywash that doesn''t make me RUN for the lotion after a shower. it smells nice (the original is MIlk and Honey which has a cocnutty beachy smell, and they now also have lavendar and rose) and is cheap cheap cheap. what more can i ask for in a product?

I used the Milk & Honey version and bought it when it was 2 for one at Target!

I actually love some of the Sonia Kashuk products from Target- I used a cleanser and an exfoliant scrub.

I love a lot of L''Oreal products- L''Oreal and Lancome have the same parent company, so many of the products are comprarable. Voluminous mascara and the lip juice glosses are both staples for me.

Also I love that old school Cover Girl great lash mascara sometimes.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that aveeno gel.

there is a jergens body cream with shea butter and mango and cocoa butter that looks great.

queen helene mint julep mask and mango cocoa butter lotion are great.

covergirl make up sponges I love these and buy tons of them

Blistex has a liquid roll on lip balm that smells like vanilla cake batter and sinks in and is great.

almay one coat mascara is really nice and does not clump

maybelline whipped mousse foundation is nice

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Desert_Essence_Thoroughly_Clean_Face_Wash-resized200.jpg

Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash it's about $5 at Trader Joes (OK, so it's not actually a drugstore!)
I use Murad skin products, but when my skin is feeling especially oily, I was my face with this stuff and it comes out sqeaky-clean (but without any drying effects). It must be the tea tree oil that's in it!

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ginger, I''m a maniac for mascara. I''ve tried soooooo many brands, looking for something that holds curl well (I''m Chinese and have poker straight lashes. I also use the Shu curler). So, my favorites...L''oreal Voluminous non-waterproof in Carbon Black gives GIANT, fat, long lashes (have been using it in various forms since high school). Maybelline Full ''n Soft both waterproof and non (good for separate lashes...a very casual natural look). Also Maybelline Volume Express in waterproof (it should have a silver top and navy vial) a good combination of both volume and separation, although the L''oreal Voluminous gives fatter lashes.

Here''s a trick that I''ve learned this year - fold a tissue between your thumb and pointer finger, swipe the mascara wand through it (using medium pressure) and then brush onto your lashes. So you don''t waste the mascara goop, just swipe your brush back over the tissue to pick up leftover goop before putting it back into the vial. A great way to avoid all clumps! Sometimes I still use my lash comb though if I do multiple coats.

I''ve tried expensive brands but they don''t work as well as Maybelline and L''oreal.

Any suggestions for waterproof eye makeup remover? I used to use Lancome Bi-Facils (or something like that) because it was non-oily and worked SO WELL but it''s expensive. I bought Revlon Colorstay Eye and Lip Makeup Remover in the white squeeze bottle but IT HURTS!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was told that to apply mascara properly you need to start at the base of the lashes and gently wiggle the wand very slowly...think this is true for most formulas.

for eye make up remover in the drug store I like Klorane, it is in a blue bottle, they make one to remove waterproof as well, it has cornflower extract and it feels like water, not oily or greasy.

jackieomy

Rough_Rock
I know this sounds crazy, but my fave drugstore find is a hairnet.

I have wavy/curly hair that responds well to the ''net that is usually modeled by fast-food employees and elemetary school cafeteria ladies.

I use b&b curl conscious, then twist my hair into ringlets. Then, I put the hairnet on, which helps the curls defy gravity, keeps away the frizzies and also keeps my hair from soaking the back of my shirt. After I''m almost dry, I take the hairnet off, shake the hair a bit and go on my way.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hee hee i have been addicted all summer to a new lotion from Vaseline called 'Firming & Radiance' but I think the smaller bottle is called something else, it's in a vibrant blue bottle and it is supposed to use peptides and other skin firming stuff to help tighten up your skin and make it more radiant. i totally slather it on, i go through a bottle every 3 weeks practically! it smells good and i was bored with their 'dry skin' lotion (in the yellow bottle) so i figured why not and i love it. who knows if its REALLY doing anything but it moisturizes and smells yummy and i am sure i look firmer cuz of it (not because of all the working out im doing, but because of the LOTION!!!). i have always used Vaseline for my body lotions since a little girl (my mom uses it too...!) and it's really the only lotion that feels like a true body lotion for me. so this new addition to the line is really exciting for me...hahaa.

also this last spring i found a great drugstore item...i can't remember what it's called right now but when i get upstairs i'll take a look at the name but it's a huge bottle of skin scrub stuff, i posted about it on here before in one of the skin threads...it's like a 15 oz bottle and it was $4.50 or something insane and i am only 1/2 way through it in 6 months!! i love skin scrubs with salt and sugar and all that and was paying like $25 for the philosopy ones and now i am hooked on this one and it's so much cheaper and lasts so long.

those are my two 'great finds' this year. nothing else really spectacular.

ETA oh i do have one more drugstore item i love...Neutrogena 'Clean' shampoo i think is what it's called. it's in a pinky translucent bottle. i started using it in Tahiti when we were on our honeymoon 2 years ago because the saltwater was making my hair feel dry and it was basically one of the 3 shampoos the local store carried!! and now i actually have grown to love it because it is a great shampoo for taking the 'residue' out of your hair from the more expensive 'conditioning' or moisurizing shampoos that i use. i typically use Pureology and Kerastase for my hair since it's treated but sometimes i just need that squeaky clean feeling and the 'Clean' shampoo gives me that but doesn't make my hair feel dry or have any negative seeming effects.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
vaseline firming & radiance!
30.gif

vaseline fr.jpg

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
I love Suave''s "Professionals" shampoos and conditioner. I use the Daily Moisture or Humectant. It''s about $2 and it''s awesome!

I recently discovered NYC makeup--it''s SO cheap I never would have tried it if I hadn''t heard raves about it. The face powder is the best I''ve tried for my oily skin, and it''s another $2 item.

The best thing ever for oily skin--Clean & Clear blotting sheets. They''re a big-ticket item--about $5.
5.gif
They don''t just blot the surface oil--there''s something in them that totally removes the shine. Can''t live without ''em.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I like this thread!!
36.gif

I love my Benefit Bad Gal mascara, but it only comes in black, so for brown I use Revlon Fabulash - it's really good! I also liked some Max Factor mascara, which I can't remember the name of. Funny,though, I've never liked Great Lash, though makeup artists all rave about it. I was also like "Eh."

Alberto V05 makes a great hair treatment -- not the hot oil one, but something that comes in a little tub and has a shower cap with it. I got three for like $2.50 each at Target and love them! You can get definitely get at least two if not three applications out of a tub, so it goes a long way.

And I had a makeup artist tell me recently that lots of drugstore makeups are the same if not better than Sephora/department store brands. I believe she mentioned Cover Girl for foundation and Bonne Bell bronzer!

And though this isn't a drugstore find, I have to say that something that has completley changed my skin as of late have been Philosophy's Micro-Delivery Mini-Peel Pads. After the first use, my skin didn't have that dry look to it anymore - awesome! I use one every day after my shower and then follow up w/Kiehls moisturizer.

ETA: And a new one I just tried this morning -- Dove Smoothing Frizz Control (haha, love the word FRIZZ!). WOW!!! Totally not sticky, not greasy, smells nice, and really did keep my hair smoother. Yay!!! Me likes!
36.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the burt''s bee''s Lip shimmers. I''m not a big lipstick gal but the burt''s add just a hint of color and moisturizes too...

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Oh! I forgot my very fave -- my gel eye mask! It''s one of those batman-like eye masks, and I keep it in the fridge, and I plop it on my face every morning for about 10-15 minutes. I don''t know if it really de-puffs, as it claims to do, but it''s *so* refreshing and wakes me up! (You can also use it warmed up, but I''ve never tried that -- I think that''s for headaches.)

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
I second diamondfan''s recommendation of Queen Helene''s Mint Julep mask -- the stuff is amazing. I was a little hesitant about putting a mask on my face that was $3.50 for the whole huge tube, but some serious beauty product snobs turned me onto it, so I gave it a shot. I LOVE it. It''s by far my favorite cheap beauty product find.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a great way to keep heels nice and smooth, mine get calloused easily.

You need to invest in a good buffer. I have one by Diamencel and it was pricey but I have had it for over 5 years. It can be washed and dried and will last a long time. You use it on dry skin and the stuff powders off like you cannot imagine. You can get it on line, I think it is the #11, oval shaped with a black handle.

Then, buy those thin inexpensive cotton socks in the footcare/pedicure aisle of the drug store. Also buy an inexpensive bottle of vitamin e in liquid form and a cocoa butter lotion (Palmers and Queen Helene make nice ones that are not pricey). FIrst put the e oil on and then put the lotion, and then the socks. It is best to do this right before bed. I wake up with baby smooth heels, and it is great because heels can get neglected in the winter and if you go to a holiday party in winter and wear sandals your feet will look great!

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Yes!
I love this thread! I could spend all day in the drug store!!!!!!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Target has a great body butter by TreeHut--I have super dry skin and this stuff lasts all day. It comes in a couple different scents--coconut and one that smells like chocolate. I like the coconut for summer and the "chocolate" in winter. It''s $4.99 and comes in either a bright yellow or brown plastic jar, usually on the bottom shelf where the rest of the lotions are. Drugstore.com has it too, and they have a coconut-lime scent that I''ve never seen or smelled before, but theirs is $5.99...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2006 1:15:48 AM
Author: Mara

also this last spring i found a great drugstore item...i can''t remember what it''s called right now but when i get upstairs i''ll take a look at the name but it''s a huge bottle of skin scrub stuff, i posted about it on here before in one of the skin threads...it''s like a 15 oz bottle and it was $4.50 or something insane and i am only 1/2 way through it in 6 months!! i love skin scrubs with salt and sugar and all that and was paying like $25 for the philosopy ones and now i am hooked on this one and it''s so much cheaper and lasts so long.
come back and tell us what it is teaser

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2006 3:14:43 PM
Author: belle

Date: 11/30/2006 1:15:48 AM
Author: Mara

also this last spring i found a great drugstore item...i can''t remember what it''s called right now but when i get upstairs i''ll take a look at the name but it''s a huge bottle of skin scrub stuff, i posted about it on here before in one of the skin threads...it''s like a 15 oz bottle and it was $4.50 or something insane and i am only 1/2 way through it in 6 months!! i love skin scrubs with salt and sugar and all that and was paying like $25 for the philosopy ones and now i am hooked on this one and it''s so much cheaper and lasts so long.
come back and tell us what it is teaser
haha i found this in an old thread...here''s what it is!

i picked up this awesome body scrub in a bottle. it''s called ''bain de luxe'' and it was 17 oz for $4.99...and it ROCKS. i got the lavendar one, and it smells great, very light scent, it has aloe vera and some vitamins and glycerin in it, it''s just the right ''scrub'' feel, not too abrasive or too weak, not oily....i just love it. so for anyone who is looking for a squeeze bottle body scrub for a great price, try it...i''m sure you can find it online or in your local drugstore.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I don't have drugstore finds, but do my supermarket finds count?...Meat tenderizer, Apple Cider Vinegar and Coconut Oil. Not very luxurious, but results matter to me ! :) By far, hands down, the most effective products I've ever used. (sorry belle hehehehe)

I usually only by my Almay moisture tint and powder and gloss from drug stores. I don't spend or really buy other items...

OH, Sally H diamond lip shine in Always Asscher...it gets points for the name! :) That is my DIE WITHOUT item.

OH OH, Cetaphil Cleanser. Die without.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2006 4:41:39 PM
Author: moremoremore
I don't have drugstore finds, but do my supermarket finds count?...Meat tenderizer, Apple Cider Vinegar and Coconut Oil. Not very luxurious, but results matter to me ! :) By far, hands down, the most effective products I've ever used. (sorry belle hehehehe)

I usually only by my Almay moisture tint and powder and gloss from drug stores. I don't spend or really buy other items...

OH, Sally H diamond lip shine in Always Asscher...it gets points for the name! :) That is my DIE WITHOUT item.

OH OH, Cetaphil Cleanser. Die without.
oh sure, turn me on to the expensive stuff and then find the cheapest homemade stuff you can use!
as you know, i tried the acv and it just didn't work for me. i'm hooked (damn you!) on the biologique.

i do have the sally hanson diamond lip shine in always asscher! it's fab.
i also like the rimmel vinyl stars lip shine in movie star. yum! it is my die without (after the biologique!) item.
i stock up on them whenever i can so i will never run out!!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, but was it 50 year old, dusty acv? LOL....

I''ve been meaning to ask you about the Biolo...I have some questions!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2006 5:36:13 PM
Author: moremoremore
Yeah, but was it 50 year old, dusty acv? LOL....

I''ve been meaning to ask you about the Biolo...I have some questions!
isn''t all acv 50 years old?
31.gif

ask away! you know you want to come back to the other side.
35.gif

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
fun!
36.gif
so many new produsct to try!

i''ve already bought the neutrogena and kevin aucoin mascara to try (online sale at beauty .com
31.gif
)

i''ve always been curious about the queen helene mint julep mask cuz i''ve heard raves about it. i''ve never used a mask before. what kind of skin is it good for? what does it do for your skin?

mascara is one of my mostest favest thing to experiment with. i''m positive one day i''ll find the miracle one that will make my stick straight asian lashes long lush and curly!

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Hey GingerBCookie and CrownJewel,
I see that shu uemura carries several types of lash curlers, could you tell me which one is the best? Thanks!

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
It''s $18 at Sephora. I know it''s a ridiculous price to pay when Revlon sells one for $5 or so. For the first week that I used it, I was like "this sucks. It''s so hard to squeeze." But after a week it''s a lot more comfortable to use. And it curls the lashes instead of "crimping" it (my old Revlon one would give a very sharp fold...making the lashes look unnatural).

shucurler.jpg

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is a technique to lash curling.

One is NEVER do it when you have mascara on. Seems basic but some people curl, put on mascara and decide to do another curl round. Not a good idea.

Two is you start near the base and then gently hold, release, move the curler a bit, repeat, and if you have long lashes move it a smidge once more and gently squeeze.

This gives the lashes an elongated curl and looks best, it also is more an eye opening technique. I have long lashes that are curly and I hate things really close to my eyeballs so I almost never curl them but when someone has done it this is how they have done it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results