shape
carat
color
clarity

Drilled diamond

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not too worried about it “bouncing around” a bit, as long as it's heavy enough to not go around the other side of the neck

I have a .3ish ct pendant (in a bezel with bunny ears - so not just floating on the chain) and if I don't readjust it, I often find it up on the back side of my shoulder right by the clasp. Unfortunately I think you have to go significantly heavier to get something that will reliably stay front and center. But that is normal and something women are used to with pendants.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@frackas when a guy gives his girl a diamond, it is customary for the diamond to be presented on one knee, and accompanied by a proposal :eek2:

Have you thought carefully enough about her reaction to your gift? =)2

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the concept of their jewellery but so tiny and sooooo much money.
A pair of dangle earring with 4 diamonds costing $1,600 - a mere .12 total carat weight! I mean I’d need a x10 Loupe just to see them!
Beige gold :confused2: ? Who thinks up these silly terms.
But as others have said, apart from .30 being only a tiny diamond it being drilled sort of makes it worthless. And it will look bright and shiny for about 2 seconds then skin oil will dull it. And being small and without any “heft” it will literally “stick” to the skin. The necklace looks fabulous in the photos and studio shots but I think in real life it will be underwhelming. $3,000 is a lot of money, the materials used ie gold and diamond is about $400 worth so that’s a lot of $$$$ for the designer name.
And finally diamonds and gifts to girlfriends can be tricky, I would be more inclined to recommend a pendant gem based on her birthstone or favourite color, no misunderstanding or awkwardness if you get what I mean.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good grief. The price they are charging for a necklace with a laser drilled .3ct diamond is insane. :eek2:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of the reasons for the high prices is because it’s not mass produced. The designer still works on every piece of jewelry and he hand carves the wax molds for casting. He doesn’t use CAD at all.

Their prices aren’t any crazier than Tiffany charging $425 for a silver charm bracelet or Cartier charging $4K and up for a love bracelet.

That said, it’s not for everyone and I get that.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Weird!...why would anyone wanna buy a drilled stone???...:knockout::confused:

Rubylou

Rough_Rock
Hi!

From someone who actually has one of these I am going to recommend it 100%!!!!

The design is very rare and I had only seen it once - now twice :)

The hole in the diamond does not affect the clarity, color or sparkle of the diamond at all. I personally love the way that it sparkles from every angle and there is no metal surrounding the stone showing of the brilliance of the diamond. I would recommend a very clear, and good cut stone though. Mine is almost flawless (I chose a small stone) and excellent cut heart shape.

Imagine your diamonds just 'floating'.

If you have any questions - just ask me!

ps. I didn't have it done by katakoa...their work is beautiful though. I chose my own diamond (You get more of a choice and also a beautiful stone for less.)

Last edited:

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
Weird!...why would anyone wanna buy a drilled stone???...:knockout::confused:

I like the design, and Kataoka means you're starting with something about as far up the food chain as possible for such a petite necklace. This may be a good or a bad thing, depending on what message you'd like to send.

The stone, given it has no framework in which to sit, will touch her skin right from the get go. It will have oil from her skin on it in about 3 nano-seconds. It will look duller than it needs to about a new York minute after that. So all that to say - great design, exclusive brand, will wear terribly.

Any diamond with a hole in it takes a plummet in value. I'm assuming the diamond was graded before it was drilled, as diamonds-with-holes-in-them are un-resellable. What you're paying for here is the design and the craftsmanship, not the diamond. An open hole passing all the way through a diamond does NOT allow for a grading of SI1. Most SI1 stones are classified as 'eye clean'; it's impossible not to see a gaping hole in a diamond. So no, your SI1 grading would be before the stone was drilled.

Also - 'beige gold'? Unplated white perhaps? A mix of white and yellow? Yellow with extra nickel? Either way, I can think of few things less attractive on skin than beige.

So here's the thing....

Has she specifically asked for a Kataoka? Because a general rule of thumb is that girls like substantial diamonds - we're mesmerized by that twinkle. This is not true for everyone, granted, but I'd say that for 99% of women, their preference is larger than their partners realize. If you're even considering a Kataoka pendant, then you have the sort of budget that could get you something of a more substantial style.

If you like that sort of 'drippy diamond' effect (which I, personally, love!) would you consider a bezel set pear shaped diamond? Diamond pendants need at least a little weight to hang. Otherwise, they stick to your skin, flip around the back of your neck, go through life caught in your hair - and so on. A bezel setting would give a tad more weight, and a pear shape is reminiscent of rain drops - which is a lovely effect in jewelry - especially on a woman's decolletage. For the budget you're considering, I'd love something like *this*:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.50-carat-d-color-if-clarity-sku-7390334

I normally NEVER recommend D colored diamonds, but since pear-shaped diamonds concentrate any color in the tip, D color is your safest bet. And since you're considering an upmarket designer, something luxurious and rare like a flawless diamond might hit the spot. I'd then send it off to David Klass Jewelry (well known and very popular on these boards) in LA, who will set it beautifully for you, stick it on a chain, and ship it back to you. It would be a delicate, elegant necklace, but more substantial and of far higher quality than you're currently considering, while maintaining that organic style.

By the way, the marketing for this necklace really turns me off. "For the woman who dances through her day..." - seriously? I know media likes to portray women as naive and innocent little girls - but - dancing through my day? Oh pah-lease. And their suggestion that a woman might like to wear this piece "to the beach" is absurd.

I STILL like the design - as a design, but it's a hard no from me.
Ditto,ditto,ditto and a DEFINITE NO to the idea of a drilled diamond.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b “Beige gold” is proprietary so they won’t tell me exactly what’s in it, but there’s no nickel and it contains platinum and palladium. It was intended to recreate an antique look and is not a literal translation from Japanese. There’s no nickel in any of their jewelry.

That’s all I know! =)2

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b “Beige gold” is proprietary so they won’t tell me exactly what’s in it, but there’s no nickel and it contains platinum and palladium. It was intended to recreate an antique look and is not a literal translation from Japanese. There’s no nickel in any of their jewelry.

That’s all I know! =)2

That's fascinating! Thank you so much for checking, @JPie!

Jujeh

Rough_Rock
I don't know if you want to factor this in or not but I would think it was fake if I saw someone with a necklace like that because it seems pretty strange to want to cut a hole through a diamond. I assume I'm not alone in that ...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results