shape
carat
color
clarity

Dresser as changing table question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
I wasn''t sure where to post this since I want the moms as well as the moms to be to be able to chime in...so forgive me PSers for yet another baby/pregnancy thread
2.gif

Just wondering if anyone used a dresser as a changing table. I got the Ikea Hemnes (the big 8 drawer one in white)...I love it, I''m just afraid it''s a little tall, but too late for that!.....DH might kill me if I now complain about the height (since he asked me 100 times if I was sure that was the dresser I wanted!)

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had recommendations for the changer top. Did you guys just buy a changing pad? an actual changing topper (wodden with the pad inside) or something else?

How do you secure it to the dresser?. I saw Land of Nod has a simple changer topper and it says it comes with the "hardware to install". I assume the hardware goes in the back of the dresser? I wouldn''t want to damage the dresser securing the cover on it. If I just get the pad, wouldn''t it slide all over the place?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!!

M~

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
You can use a dresser as a changing table, I''m doing it
9.gif
. It made a lot more sense to me than buying a specialized piece of furniture. I just bought the regular changing pad from BRU and have it sitting on the top. They do come with a strap you screw into the back of the dresser to keep them in place, as well as non-skid bumps on the bottom. We never actually screwed ours down, and have made it to 6 months without that being a problem.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Mustang! Did you just buy that contoured top?

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve nannied for two infants that had the toppers that weren''t strapped down. One of them was a little wriggler too. Never had a problem, so I think you''re good there.

As for the dresser, the dressers I''m looking at that are "baby-specific" seem to be around 32-34" in height. The hemnes is 38, according to the website. I don''t think it''ll be a big deal if you are average or above average height. If you''re a shorty, it might be a little high. I know this sounds bizarre, but go through the motions and see if it "feels" too high. You might get used to it and it will be a non-issue. But if it feels like a stretch while pretending, you might have an issue.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/10/2009 1:14:30 PM
Author: Mandarine
Thanks Mustang! Did you just buy that contoured top?
Yup, just the regular contoured one. I think it's the Simmons brand, it has the counting sheep on it. I put the plush type covers on the top, and tuck the extra straps into the cover. They come with a strap to buckle the baby on with, which would just get in the way IMHO, so I've never used it.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
We have been using a Serta contour pad on our bathroom counter for the last 9 1/2 months. (There is a 40" space between our sinks.) We did not have room for a changing table in the nursery, and A''s dresser has a hutch on it. Our pad sits on a granite counter without any hardware and we have not had trouble with it slipping. The problem is not keeping the pad on the counter, it is keeping our wiggling daughter on the pad! (No amount of hardware or a fancy changing table would solve that problem.) We always keep a hand on A while she is on the changing station, which keeps her and the pad in place.

I would be comfortable using a 38" dresser as a changing table, but it depends on your height, Mandarine. It might be awkward if the top of the dresser is much above your waist height. I second the idea of practicing the motions to check the height.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
38 seems pretty high to me...but then again I am not super tall. But I think that would be an uncomfortable height for me.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
We are using the dresser as the changing table. Ours is ~32" tall, and it works great for us. I think 38" would be too high for me, but I'm 5'3". We just put the contour changing pad on top, not strapped or nailed down (but it's provided if you want to secure it. M is 1 yr old and wiggling, rolling over and sitting up on the pad, and we haven't had any problems. I actually prefer the dresser over the bed or floor b/c I don't have to bend over.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
I guess I can always wear high heels....lol...just kidding
2.gif

I''m 5''4''''...so not tall by any means. I did the pretend motions last night (DH thought I was nuts) and it seemed to be ok. I guess I will have to wait and see though. If it just gets to be too uncomfortable once the babies are here, I''ll have to think of something. A lot of people have used this dresser as a changing table, which is why I didn''t give it much thought until it was all built last night and I thought it looked really high!.

Thanks for the recommendations on the pad. I think I''m going this route since adding anything with more wood is only going to make it taller!

M~

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I just looked up the height on mine, and it''s 32.5". I would have through it was higher... I think I would be fine with a bit taller one though.

You could get a step stool
3.gif
Or just a cheapy stand alone changing table if you fine it too tall after some use.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
We used the contoured pad on top our dresser. I didn''t bolt it down, and think that might actually be inconvenient since ds has peed on the cover for the pad numerous times and it would be hard to change if it was bolted down (we also have a lap pad over the changing pad cover, but sometimes he goes so much it hits the cover as well). I put shelf paper down under the contoured pad to keep it from moving, and it really doesn''t.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
I guess a step would make more sense than high heels...
3.gif

I went again to change a diaper on the invisible baby and I think it will be ok...maybe tougher when they are bigger. Any way, we''re not returning it or changing it...so I just have to try and see. If I''m miserable I will figure something out!.

Thanks for teh comments on the pads. I''m definitely going that route and will try it without strapping it to the back first.

I think this weekend I''m making my big Buy Buy Baby trip to finish getting all the necessities I didn''t get in the shower!!
36.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
If you got a little 6 inch step, it would probably be the perfect height for you. Honestly, I think you''d probably be fine without it, but since you''ll be doing double-changing duty with twins, it might be nice to have a better angle.

Or if your DH is taller, he''ll probably like the 38" height, so you can just complain that the dresser is too high and get him to do most of the changings!
2.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a cheapie changing table from walmart but I rarely even use it. The bed, sofa or floor seems to be where she gets changed the most.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My sons' had a Kinderkraft changing table dresser combo. The changing part had a pad that fit into it and was easily removable to clean. When we no longer used the changer, it was removed. . .

We bought it nine years ago and still use the dresser now!!!

Often times, I just put a blanket on the carpet and changed my kids that way. It was easier for me and I didn't have to worry about one of them rolling OR crawling out of the changer.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/10/2009 6:14:34 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I have a cheapie changing table from walmart but I rarely even use it. The bed, sofa or floor seems to be where she gets changed the most.
Ditto. I bought a top for a dresser, and never used it. I just bought nice baskets for each room I might change Miller in and filled it with wipes/diapers/cream, etc. It always was easier and safer to just change on a bed/floor. When he was a baby and things were a lot "messier", I always had a blanket under him for changes, which was also in the basket.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
thank you guys!

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Mandarine-

Just skimmed this, so not sure if someone else has already commented, but we have a regular dresser and then we bought the changing top from Land of Nod. It does attach to the back of the dresser, so it didn''t ruin the dresser at all. It fits well, looks great, etc. You can lift the changing pad/cover off without messing with the actual changing top.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Thanks China!
Does that make it seem even higher? I love that topper but I''m concerned is going to add more height!

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
It does add a bit of height, but not sure how much. I will go measure it later. Here are two pictures, they aren''t the best quality, but I think you can see how much the topper adds to the top of the dresser. I am about 5''4", and the dresser comes to just below my hips. Also, I can take another picture if you want to see something specific, let me know.

chinacatNursery1.jpg

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Another one:

Ok, hard to see how big it is from those pictures. I will go measure it and let you know.

chinacatNursery2.jpg

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

China, I love the way the decal cameout on top of the dresser!. I love love love that decal
9.gif

I want to see more of the nursery!

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
the dersser I bought is already higher than my hips...that''s why I''m concerned!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Mandarine, we''re also getting the Hemnes dresser! I tried it out at Ikea, and I LIKE how high it is. Perhaps that''s weird? Then again, I''m only five feet tall, and DH is 6''2", so this is really to be easier for him. I used to nanny and baby-sit for infants, and all the changing tables were high, so maybe I''m just used to it? More often than not, I changed them on the bed or on the floor, though when they got older. I like having the diapers and creams and wipes all easily reachable, and I think lower would be uncomfortable for me. I wonder if that''s totally odd.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I use my dresser as a changing table and have a changing pad that my mother purchased from IKEA. It’s thick and has a cover. I haven’t used it once. She sleeps in the room with us so I have a small changing pad and change her diaper on my bed. During the day, I use the same changing pad and change her diaper on top of the couch.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2009 1:56:20 PM
Author: ChinaCat
Another one:

Ok, hard to see how big it is from those pictures. I will go measure it and let you know.

Omgosh, I love the wall decal/painting! Can we see more of it?

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
M- Will post the measurement of how many inches the changing top adds as soon as DH find the tape measure!

Thanks guys, I will post more pics in the preggo thread.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Mandarine-

So the changing top itself is about 4 1/4 inches, plus the changing pad, so altogether it adds about 6 inches from the surface of the dresser. Hope that helps!

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Thank you China!...That definitely helps. I think I''m going to go for the pad by itself, just to keep it lower! Thanks a bunch!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results