shape
carat
color
clarity

Dress Shopping - Need help between 2!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok so I went dress shopping today and found 2 dresses that me and my girlfriend couldn''t decide between?

What do you guys think? Please excuse my stupid faces. i was not prepared for the photos.
20.gif

Dress 1...

dress1pic1resize.jpg

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dress 1

dress1pic2resize.jpg

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dress 1

dress1pic3resize.jpg

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dress 2!

dress2pic1resize.jpg

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dress 2

dress2pic2resize.jpg

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks in advance for your advice!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Elle! Yay for finally posting in BWW!

How many places have you gone to? Is this your first? Also, where is the wedding going to be? What kind of wedding is it going to be? Evening formal? Afternoon and more casual?

Honestly, I don't think either of these do your figure justice.

ETA: I think the first one's shape is better on you, but neither really shout out to me as being "this is Elle's dress!" I imagine something with a bit more zing in it to be your dress. I could be totally off though.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like number 1 best.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2009 1:58:55 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Elle! Yay for finally posting in BWW!

How many places have you gone to? Is this your first? Also, where is the wedding going to be? What kind of wedding is it going to be? Evening formal? Afternoon and more casual?

Honestly, I don't think either of these do your figure justice.

Oh no!

I thought that they were the most flattering of the ones I tried on.

What is it thats bugging you about it? I'm shaped weird.
39.gif

Its evening, formal but not super formal. He's wearing a suit, and its a small wedding.

My time is so limited Im kind of freaking out. We liked those two best of everything.

ETA: First time shopping... but really need to order something this week, and even that is cutting it close.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about buying a sample? Can you go shopping somewhere else today? And you aren''t shaped weird! I''m shaped weird...regardless! That doesn''t matter! There are enough dressed out there that we should be able to find something.

What kind of shape do you want to go with?

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2009 2:04:29 PM
Author: FrekeChild
What about buying a sample? Can you go shopping somewhere else today? And you aren''t shaped weird! I''m shaped weird...regardless! That doesn''t matter! There are enough dressed out there that we should be able to find something.

What kind of shape do you want to go with?

Im not opposed to buying a sample.. I''m pretty open. I just don''t want anything too ornate or too puffy. I want a strapless dress for sure.

I honestly thought those were the best fit of anything, although dress 2 looked better in person, I must say. Dress 1 was pretty spot-on.

What in particular didnt you like? I thought the shape was nice, and so did my friend. What do you think in unflattering exactly? Im trying to see what you''re seeing.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m sorry to hear that you are short on time. I think you should keep looking, neither one of those dresses really do your figure any justice. The first is better than the second though if those are the two you need to choose between.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Freke on the dresses. I think you can find something that is more flattering on your shape ( I don''t see the "weirdly shaped" figure you are referring to!!) Have you tried a more fitted dress? I think a slight mermaid fit would look great on you!

If I had to choose between dress one or two, I''d pick the first one. Why the time restraint; when are you guys getting married?

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok... I need suggestions on how to flatter my figure then, because those WERE the most flattering.

Maybe you guys think I have a nicer figure than I really do?

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wedding is this October.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/13/2009 2:14:18 PM
Author: elledizzy5
Ok... I need suggestions on how to flatter my figure then, because those WERE the most flattering.

I doubt it! The dress are just plain and I think they bell a bit too much. I like beachrunner''s idea of a slight mermaid.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2009 2:18:50 PM
Author: Addy
Date: 6/13/2009 2:14:18 PM

I doubt it! The dress are just plain and I think they bell a bit too much. I like beachrunner''s idea of a slight mermaid.

Well to be fair, I like them plain. I don''t like a lot of "stuff" on dresses. I really wish the person helping us would have been more.. helpful. I feel like I am back at square 1 again. This is depressing!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I like #1 except I am not a huge fan of the material. I like the bands around your midsection and the gentle sweetheart neckline is great on you though! Its just that neither of them make me say 'Wow!'

Keep trucking along to those bridal salons. You WILL find something this week. Just make as many appointments as you can and you will figure out quickly what you should get. Also, if you do find something that is out of budget you can always try to hunt it down on POWD.com, oncewed, or eBay.

ETA: Did you try on any fit n flare gowns? I know you said over in LIW Small Talk that you didn't think it would work but its at least worth a try. You might be pleasantly surprised!

Also, I realized what I didn't particularly enjoy about #2... the split front. If that chiffon came all the way around I think that dress would work wonderfully. The split front just doesn't seem to jive with your personality (or what I know of it from here). I do really like the top of dress #2. Taking a second look at the pics that one speaks to me more than #1.

OK. I'll stop flip-flopping now. Its probably not that helpful.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok. Must.. regain...composure.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry Elle. I didn''t mean to insult your taste. My dress was plain too, no beading or anything like that. I was talking more about the silhouette, the shape, not the amount on the dress...but I might be digging a deeper hole now by saying that.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Don''t get discouraged! The first time I went dress shopping I did not find one dress that looked good on me. I too, had a less than helpful associate.

Dresses without beading or lace are still beautiful! You just need to find the right one! J Crew and Nicole Miller make some simpler yet beautiful gowns!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2009 2:07:39 PM
Im not opposed to buying a sample.. I''m pretty open. I just don''t want anything too ornate or too puffy. I want a strapless dress for sure.

I honestly thought those were the best fit of anything, although dress 2 looked better in person, I must say. Dress 1 was pretty spot-on.

What in particular didnt you like? I thought the shape was nice, and so did my friend. What do you think in unflattering exactly? Im trying to see what you''re seeing.
I think that the second one covered up your curves too much. The first...well it reminded me of a prom dress. I don''t know what that means really, except that I had a prom dress that was very similar only a light purple color.

So strapless, not too puffy or ornate...

What other shapes of dresses did you try on?

Perhaps it''s because the first one is one piece? And I''m guessing that there are details just under your bust, but it just looks really bunched up there instead of some kind of cool detail. I think the shape is ok, but perhaps something that has a dropped waist? Or a more structured top?

So how ornate is too ornate?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2009 2:27:38 PM
Author: BeachRunner
Don't get discouraged! The first time I went dress shopping I did not find one dress that looked good on me. I too, had a less than helpful associate.

Dresses without beading or lace are still beautiful! You just need to find the right one! J Crew and Nicole Miller make some simpler yet beautiful gowns!
Oooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! J Crew!!!!

Be back.

ETA: What's your budget?

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2009 2:26:10 PM
Ok. Must.. regain...composure.

Aww sweetie. It''ll be OK! We''re here for you. Just remember that no matter what you''ll be gorgeous on your wedding day. J will love you in anything you choose. You are a beautiful person!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im really not insulted! I appreciate your opinions. Im just .. frustrated and I feel like I''m under a lot of pressure to find a dress FAST.

Im running over to another place right now to check it out.

I appreciate your suggestions. Ill go try some more stuff on!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I checked out jcrew and I''m not finding quite what I was looking for. I haven''t had a chance to check out nicole miller (where mine was from) and watters yet, but those might both be worth looking at.

Good luck on your shopping trip!!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I know this is a slightly more fitted dress but I can totally see you looking great in it.

Nicole Miller Dress on Pre Owned Wedding Dresses

Its simple with no beading but the stuff going on at the hem is really neat. It would be divine with a sweetheart neckline! If you check out the way it fits on the model you can see that it is slightly more fitted than your usual A-line.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pricey, but simple, strapless...maybe too puffy though? Link

Super simple...Link

I think something that gives you more of a waist would be better...

Don''t get frustrated my dear! I know it''s a bit of a rush, but we can help you too!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, back again! I like the plain-ness, and the sweetheart neck. I don''t like how high the bell shape of the skirt starts. I personally think it''d be better if it started a bit lower and had a slight mermaid shape. I''m not sure the image will attach so hopefully here the link as well, Watters 6033B at HOB

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results