shape
carat
color
clarity

Dress ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tobwald

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I got engaged last August, and purchased my dress in September (before we had actually set a date...but it was on sale and I could not resist). I am getting married this summer, and am wanting some feedback on a detail of the dress I am not uber convinced on...

You can see in the attached photos that there is a ribbon and a bow tie on the front. I definitely want the bow tie part removed, but my mom is trying to convince me to remove the ribbon entirely, whereas my bridesmaids think I should keep the ribbon and add some kind of small antique brooch to the middle (my mom thinks this would draw attention to the chest area...).

I am attaching some photos-the dress is too big and will be fitted in two months.

Feedback is much appreciated!

wedding dress front.jpg

tobwald

Rough_Rock
more

back view of dress train down.jpg

tobwald

Rough_Rock
close up of front...thank you!!!

close up dress.jpg

joelly

Ideal_Rock
The dress looks amazing on you.

About the ribbon, either you wear it or lose it. I''m not big on the idea of attaching a brooch. I think if you choose to wear the ribbon, just wear it as is. IMO, the dress will look amazing on you, with or without the ribbon. But definitely NO to a brooch.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 11:40:03 PM
Author: joelly
The dress looks amazing on you.

About the ribbon, either you wear it or lose it. I''m not big on the idea of attaching a brooch. I think if you choose to wear the ribbon, just wear it as is. IMO, the dress will look amazing on you, with or without the ribbon. But definitely NO to a brooch.
This. Either ribbon and no bow, no brooch. Or no ribbon, no brooch. The dress is gorgeous! I''d bling it up with jewelry on your body and not on the dress.

tobwald

Rough_Rock
Thank you!! It seems like my mom is winning on this one...I''ll probably remove the ribbon entirely because I find the bowtie a little much...I will be wearing antique jewelry from my grandmother and the grandmother of my fiance, so hopefully that will bring enough "pizazz"!

mimistar

Rough_Rock
Seriously, gorgeous dress! And you look stunning in it! Can I ask who makes it? I tried a similar Lazaro on.

I would KEEP the ribbon and maybe do a bow/tie on the back??? I think it would loose "something" if you lost the ribbon...

My two cents ;-)

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I''d leave it as is. I think it''s beautiful and will look great when it''s fitted.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 7:09:09 AM
Author: tobwald
Thank you!! It seems like my mom is winning on this one...I''ll probably remove the ribbon entirely because I find the bowtie a little much...I will be wearing antique jewelry from my grandmother and the grandmother of my fiance, so hopefully that will bring enough ''pizazz''!
Beautiful dress!

I think you''re right about removing the ribbon entirely and it definitely sounds like you''ll have enough pizazz!

Nov2109

Shiny_Rock
Can you wait until the dress is fitted to remove the ribbon? I think the ribbon is a nice touch (and im not a big fan of bows!) and may look much different when the dress fits you properly.

It draws attention to your chest right now because the dress is clearly too big in that area.

Amzizzle

Shiny_Rock
I don''t like the bow either,and I don''t agree with the brooch idea.What about a whole new sash? I like the idea of the clean line there.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
this is what i''m thinking...remove the ribbon/bow & add a satin sash at your natural waist that ties in a small bow w/streamers in the back of the dress. i don''t like how the current ribbon/bow come up around the bottom of the bust but do think the dress might lose something w/no detail on the bodice. anyway that''s my .02; please let us know what you decide. oh, & the dress is lovely on you!

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
In my opinion, the ribbon is sort of important on this dress as it incorporates the satin of the bottom of the dress, and ties it in with the lace top of the dress. Without it, it might look like two separate dresses....the ribbon ties it all together, no pun intended.

I would leave the ribbon on, but make it one seamless sash, and get rid of the bow, if possible. No brooch.

Let us know what you ultimately decide!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I agree with girlface - and it looks lovely!

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/9/2010 12:20:27 PM
Author: mimistar
Seriously, gorgeous dress! And you look stunning in it! Can I ask who makes it? I tried a similar Lazaro on.

I would KEEP the ribbon and maybe do a bow/tie on the back??? I think it would loose ''something'' if you lost the ribbon...

My two cents ;-)
Ditto
1.gif

Your dress looks beautiful on you btw!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous dress!

I like the bow because it acentuates your waist.

I decided to try and see what it would look like without a bow

Here is a terrible MS paint mockup - it might look a little plain.

I''m sure you''ll be gorgeous no matter what.

454dressnobow1.jpg

ilikesparkles

Rough_Rock
I love this dress! I almost bought it myself. It was between this one and another Paloma Blanca. All along I was leaning more towards this one, but then at the last minute I went with the other one. Anyhow, love it.

I also debated the ribbon/bow thing. I didn''t like it at first, but I decided in the end that if I had gone with that dress I would have kept it as is. In my opinion, it just seems like that dress works so well with the ribbon/bow, even though I never wanted a dress with a bow. For whatever reason, in my mind, it completes it. I especially like the way the ribbon looks in the back.

But if you don''t like it, get rid of it. Maybe you could try making the bow part smaller by just folding the "ears" in half, if that makes sense.

Bow or no bow, its a great dress.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks SO good on you the way it is!!!

tobwald

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much! so sorry I have been MIA! The first two posts convinced me to remove the ribbon entirely....and now with all the other feedback I cannot make a decision!!

To answer some questions....

The dress is from a boutique in Montreal (I am Canadian), it is called Anne Jean Michel and almost all of the dresses were under $2000!! Believe it or not, I got mine on sale for under $1000, which is why I purchased it before we even set a date (which kind of scared the fiance....).

Now that I have a small idea as to what it would look like without a bow or ribbon (thank you HopeDream!) I do worry it may look a bit plain without any other detailing.

Also, to set the scene we are having a fairly informal wedding outside on a lake, so ribbon or no ribbon I am sure it will work okay (I just want it to look as best as possible obviously!).

I will be wearing a veil (got it on ebay for 13 dollars) that is elbow length for the ceremony, and a flower hair clip from Etsy for the reception.

Thanks so much again for the feedback!!!!!!!! I will keep everyone posted on how it ends up looking...!

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
The dress is gorgeous and will look beautiful however you end up doing it! However, I agree that the ribbon adds to the dress and if you removed the bow I''d vote to at least keep the ribbon.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results