shape
carat
color
clarity

Dreamer''s upgrade -- 1.66ct J VS1!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you ever wear both bands with your er?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Date: 5/22/2010 3:24:51 PM
Author: gardengloves
Dreamer.

Thanks for the new pictures and your impressions of the new stone. I just love when you write about diamonds with your rational analysis, comparisons and painstaking attention to details. It's just the best, your new stone is a keeper- it looks just great and I really get a sense of your satisfaction. I'm so glad you made this move.

Thanks Gardengloves! You are too sweet.

Date: 5/22/2010 5:57:01 PM
Author: wsblue430
Oh my gosh!! Thats one sick J!!! DD..its gorgeous!! With your shared prong, its perfection!! I love your pictures! MORE!

I will try to take some more when it is sunny out, I have not had time yet and the diamond looks awesome in the sun!

Date: 5/22/2010 7:37:50 PM
Author: katiedid
AWESOME pics of your big new diamond with your diamond band. Love it!!

Thanks Katie! Your set was one of the original ones I liked back when I want planning my own set, so thanks for the inspiration!

Date: 5/24/2010 9:59:56 AM
Author: April20
How did I miss this thread?!?

DD- your new stone is amazing! I love the setting! Congrats.

Thanks April! I love this diamond more and more each day. My eye is totally used to any "tint" now and it honestly just looks white to me all the time! I am so happy.

Date: 5/24/2010 10:00:30 AM
Author: motownmama
Do you ever wear both bands with your er?

Just for you I tried it but it is just too much width on my finger.
1.gif

Grlsbestfrnd

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! Brian Gavin does such wonderful work. I love those prongs and I love the slight warm tint of Js, YUM! Congrats!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I love the ring with the shared prong band, it is perfect.

I really think that diamond is perfect for your finger and looks wonderful on you. Are you still feeling like you were a couple days ago, that it wasn''t enough? It is really fab.

And I can''t believe how white that J is. I love my F, but now I realize if I had picked out my own stone, I probably could have gone down in color and been ok.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I am so late to this party! It's gorgeous Dreamer!!!!
36.gif
30.gif
36.gif
30.gif

ETA: I really like it with your diamond band!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 6:22:37 PM
Author: Grlsbestfrnd
Beautiful! Brian Gavin does such wonderful work. I love those prongs and I love the slight warm tint of Js, YUM! Congrats!

Thanks! Yes, the prongs are divine! Of course in person you can hardly see them, but I do like looking at my ring up close and so I really appreciate them. The diamond is also perfectly seater in the prongs, which is very important to me too!

Date: 5/25/2010 8:23:25 PM
Author: geckodani
I am so late to this party! It''s gorgeous Dreamer!!!!
ETA: I really like it with your diamond band!

Thanks Dani! You are not late at all!

Date: 5/25/2010 6:55:37 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
I love the ring with the shared prong band, it is perfect.

I really think that diamond is perfect for your finger and looks wonderful on you. Are you still feeling like you were a couple days ago, that it wasn''t enough? It is really fab.

And I can''t believe how white that J is. I love my F, but now I realize if I had picked out my own stone, I probably could have gone down in color and been ok.

I also cannot get over how white this J is. Remember, I loved my G and I love colorless stones, yet this diamond is totally perfect. I have NO doubts or worries about color at all. But for you, since you did not want a larger diamond the only reason to go lower in color would be if you like warmth or wanted to save some pennies
9.gif
And who needs to save pennies! Your diamond is awesome.

As to how I feel.... 100% honest it looks the same size to me as the 1.2ct now
11.gif
DSS is real man! I could totally go to 2ct easy. But the thing is, I *know* it is larger, and I also know this is a big diamond. So DSS doesn''t bug me the way it did with my smaller stones. I am able to rationally know that this is a great size. And then to remind myself I look at my ring in the mirror and it looks huge again! It is a good trick. Diamonds looks huge in the mirrow or from afar.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
That is too funny. I use the mirror trick too. I used it this weekend after being on here.

I could see how DDS can kick in. Honestly, when I see that stone on your hand, I don't think. Wow, that women has a rock (which you do). I think, that stone looks perfect on her. It just looks right. I personally think that is a good thing, because if I see a ring and it looks really big, the size kind of overpowers the brilliance of the stone and you don't see the other really cool things about it. Am I making since? It is meant to be a complement.

ETA: If we would have picked out the stone together, I would have saved some pennies. But hey, you are right, I should not complain that my FI liked this one the best out of the bunch. I do love looking at it from the side and not having any thing but clear (unless it needs to be cleaned). But for future purchases, I will probably drop the color a tad. Not sure I would be willing to pay the premium myself for such a small thing.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
I barely have time to make it over here so I totally missed this project! Love it, Dreamer!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Burk!
35.gif

Date: 5/25/2010 10:25:42 PM
That is too funny. I use the mirror trick too. I used it this weekend after being on here.

I could see how DDS can kick in. Honestly, when I see that stone on your hand, I don''t think. Wow, that women has a rock (which you do). I think, that stone looks perfect on her. It just looks right. I personally think that is a good thing, because if I see a ring and it looks really big, the size kind of overpowers the brilliance of the stone and you don''t see the other really cool things about it. Am I making since? It is meant to be a complement.

ETA: If we would have picked out the stone together, I would have saved some pennies. But hey, you are right, I should not complain that my FI liked this one the best out of the bunch. I do love looking at it from the side and not having any thing but clear (unless it needs to be cleaned). But for future purchases, I will probably drop the color a tad. Not sure I would be willing to pay the premium myself for such a small thing.
Trouble is, I kinda want a ROCK
25.gif
But I know what you are saying. It seems to be the concensus... this size just looks perfect on my hand. Not too big, not too small. Still, I would not mind a little bigger. But I don''t think it is worth the extra $6k it would take to get appreciable size at this piont, and I adore this diamond and dont think I want to give it up. But I think a three-stone is in my future. I love the solitaire, but I really do love the three stone look. If in the end the three stone is not for me, then I will put a sapphire in the middle and go back to the solitaire look again. But I need to give it a go! I want a three stone ring no matter what one day, whether with a gem or a diamond center I don''t know.

For future projects I think you can easily go H/I without worries in the under 1ct size. But it is a different look than the colorless. To me it is a little less about tint and more about brightness and the shade of white. My J is softer than the G is lower light environments. In bright light, like outdoors on a cloudy day, it is bright as all get out, but it is softer indoors.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
really? humor me!!!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2010 3:13:55 PM
really? humor me!!!!!
How would you like them oriented/ordered on the finger, I will take pics just for you
2.gif

jill_s

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/21/2010 12:46:53 PM
Author: dreamer_d
Date: 5/21/2010 11:58:03 AM

Author: jill_s

DD - I completely understand this. I have only had a couple people comment on my new 2.40 since I got it. I was actually thinking that I''m kind of glad I did my upgrading in steps, so it didn''t have the shock effect. Going from a 1.37 to a 1.63 to a 1.97 to a 2.40 over the course of a couple of years made it less obvious (which I prefer, it makes me feel uncomfortable when people make a big deal about my diamond growing). But I guess the downside of doing my upgrading that way was that my own eyes got quickly used to my new sizes each time.
31.gif
I do feel I could go bigger if ever given the opportunity, but I''m not unhappy or feel like my stone is small. I''m so glad you feel the same way!

Now, if I go to the 3-stone, that will probably gather some attention...mainly just because the setting change from solitaire to 3-stone is pretty drastic. What are the chances that you''ll set the new J in a three stone? Still pretty likely? I think that will look divine!

I am not sure what I will do. I am planning to just start saving my pennies which will not be a particularly fast process
2.gif
and then see how I feel when I have saved enough to do the three stone if I wanted. I think I would need about $2500. But I will also probably monitor the diamond inventory and see what pops up at that time too, though I don''t think I want to upgrade again, I really like this diamond and would worry the next would not be as nice! And to get noticable size I think I would need to go over the 2ct mark... anyways, a three-stone with this size center has always been my eventual goal so I think perhaps I will work to that. But no immediate plans! What about you? Still thinking of doing it?

DD - Thanks for continuing to add photos to your thread. I love looking at them! As for whether I''m going to do a 3-stone, I guess the answer would be yes since just today I purchased the first of my sidestones.
11.gif
12.gif
I have always loved 3-stones, but then all your talk about them when you were trying to decide whether to do that or upgrade your center stone just prompted me to look into that a little more. Like you said in an earlier post, my 2.40 shrunk shortly after I got it, and I wanted a little more finger presence since I wasn''t going to upgrade the 2.40. I decided I liked 3-stones more than a halo. It will probably be another 6 months before I have the funds saved to purchase the other sidestone and setting, but I''m getting excited!
9.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer,

The quotes were getting a bit long so I left it out. Thanks for explaining the color difference between the G and the J, that is helpful knowledge.

I get what you are saying too about your ring. In the end you are the one who has to love it because you are the one that looks at it hundreds of times a day. But I am glad you found a stone you love, that is the first step.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK - you''re so sweet!! Let''s try plain on bottom, then ER in middle then eternity on top......

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2010 6:16:09 PM

Date: 5/21/2010 12:46:53 PM

Date: 5/21/2010 11:58:03 AM

DD - I completely understand this. I have only had a couple people comment on my new 2.40 since I got it. I was actually thinking that I''m kind of glad I did my upgrading in steps, so it didn''t have the shock effect. Going from a 1.37 to a 1.63 to a 1.97 to a 2.40 over the course of a couple of years made it less obvious (which I prefer, it makes me feel uncomfortable when people make a big deal about my diamond growing). But I guess the downside of doing my upgrading that way was that my own eyes got quickly used to my new sizes each time.
31.gif
I do feel I could go bigger if ever given the opportunity, but I''m not unhappy or feel like my stone is small. I''m so glad you feel the same way!

Now, if I go to the 3-stone, that will probably gather some attention...mainly just because the setting change from solitaire to 3-stone is pretty drastic. What are the chances that you''ll set the new J in a three stone? Still pretty likely? I think that will look divine!

I am not sure what I will do. I am planning to just start saving my pennies which will not be a particularly fast process
2.gif
and then see how I feel when I have saved enough to do the three stone if I wanted. I think I would need about $2500. But I will also probably monitor the diamond inventory and see what pops up at that time too, though I don''t think I want to upgrade again, I really like this diamond and would worry the next would not be as nice! And to get noticable size I think I would need to go over the 2ct mark... anyways, a three-stone with this size center has always been my eventual goal so I think perhaps I will work to that. But no immediate plans! What about you? Still thinking of doing it?

DD - Thanks for continuing to add photos to your thread. I love looking at them! As for whether I''m going to do a 3-stone, I guess the answer would be yes since just today I purchased the first of my sidestones.
11.gif
12.gif
I have always loved 3-stones, but then all your talk about them when you were trying to decide whether to do that or upgrade your center stone just prompted me to look into that a little more. Like you said in an earlier post, my 2.40 shrunk shortly after I got it, and I wanted a little more finger presence since I wasn''t going to upgrade the 2.40. I decided I liked 3-stones more than a halo. It will probably be another 6 months before I have the funds saved to purchase the other sidestone and setting, but I''m getting excited!
9.gif
AHHH! Jill I am so excited! What size is the new diamond?

I will probably also buy the sides one at a time as I save funds. Like you, I love the style and I think that adding sides will just give that extra Ooomph that I want.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 10:25:42 PM

I could see how DDS can kick in. Honestly, when I see that stone on your hand, I don't think. Wow, that women has a rock (which you do). I think, that stone looks perfect on her. It just looks right. I personally think that is a good thing, because if I see a ring and it looks really big, the size kind of overpowers the brilliance of the stone and you don't see the other really cool things about it. Am I making since? It is meant to be a complement.

You ladies are so much fun. I love the mirror trick too! I even get my mom to try on ring so I can see it from distance, who else but my mom? .. I'm shameless...

Dreamer, a three stone in the future would be fabulous, but lady, you have a rock!

jill_s

Brilliant_Rock
DD-The stone I purchased is a 0.58ct J VS2, approx 5.4mm. I decided that was the proportions I liked best when looking at 3-stone rings in a local store. At first I thought I wanted something a little smaller, around 0.40ct each, but I felt like those looked dwarfed next to my stone. I probably could have gone up to 0.7-0.8ct stones for the sides, but I just didn't want to put that much more $$ into my ring. I'm reaching that upper limit that's reasonable for my lifestyle and social circles.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a fun picture to show what my ring looks like from a real life perspective, in case anyone is curious
4.gif

This is a nice family picture from the weekend, me, hubby, son, and the ring. DH is wearing a backpack with our son, in case you were wondering.

reallifedreamerJ1.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
One more...

See this is how you need to look at your diamond to appreciate its size. I will print these out and put them on my wall
4.gif

reallifedreamerJ2x.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2010 10:50:55 PM
DD-The stone I purchased is a 0.58ct J VS2, approx 5.4mm. I decided that was the proportions I liked best when looking at 3-stone rings in a local store. At first I thought I wanted something a little smaller, around 0.40ct each, but I felt like those looked dwarfed next to my stone. I probably could have gone up to 0.7-0.8ct stones for the sides, but I just didn''t want to put that much more $$ into my ring. I''m reaching that upper limit that''s reasonable for my lifestyle and social circles.
PERFECT! Where did you get it from? Please take pictures when it arrives.

It will be fun for me, too, to think of the right proportions. I am leaning towards .30s to keep the center really the star, but I am not totally sure.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/26/2010 10:54:22 PM
Here is a fun picture to show what my ring looks like from a real life perspective, in case anyone is curious
4.gif

This is a nice family picture from the weekend, me, hubby, son, and the ring. DH is wearing a backpack with our son, in case you were wondering.

In case anyone is curious.... of course we are!!! We love this stuff... what a great photo, love it with the blue jeans jacket, perfection.. now that's a rock, thanks for sharing.....

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2010 11:04:54 PM
Author: gardengloves

Date: 5/26/2010 10:54:22 PM
4.gif

In case anyone is curious.... of course we are!!! We love this stuff... what a great photo, love it with the blue jeans jacket, perfection.. now that''s a rock, thanks for sharing.....
Thanks GG!

anitabee

Shiny_Rock
after seeing your most recent "real life" shots, HUGE, HUMUNGOUS, MASSIVE, BOULDER-LIKE, WHOPPER... yes, your ring is very large. please don''t lose perspective
20.gif

it''s a beautiful upgrade. please have some peace & happiness with it
1.gif

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
your ring looks great in the family photo
36.gif

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
GORGEOUS! Thanks for posting all the versions of upgrades. I''ve fallen out of love with my ering. I want to upgrade, but I''m afraid to say so. We aren''t even married yet! I''m also second guessing if a princess is for me. I think I want a Square H&A! Again, I feel like I shouldn''t say that. How does your husband respond to all your upgrades?

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the real life perspective photos dd. You can really see how large your new stone really is.

Having said that........ I don't think there's any
11.gif
harm
11.gif
in looking forward to that 2.0 ct upgrade one day. The leap isn't quite as big anymore.

Do you have updated pictures of the baby anywhere on PS? I'd love to see what the little man looks like now. He was an adorable infant.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2010 11:47:14 AM
Author: hoofbeats95
GORGEOUS! Thanks for posting all the versions of upgrades. I''ve fallen out of love with my ering. I want to upgrade, but I''m afraid to say so. We aren''t even married yet! I''m also second guessing if a princess is for me. I think I want a Square H&A! Again, I feel like I shouldn''t say that. How does your husband respond to all your upgrades?
When we bought the .80 the plan was always to upgrade to the size I have now. At least that was always my plan!
25.gif
DH supports my hobbies and this is one of them. As you saw, though, my diamond is not my original e-ring. I really am not sure how he would have felt if I wanted to change that, though he did not bat an eye at the reset. When I first started talking about wanting a diamond he did feel a little bad -- he wished he could have got me what I wanted right from the start. But I went out of my way to assure him that he did great and I loved the thought he put into it, but I am fickle and there is nothing he can do about that
2.gif
In the end, he wants me to be happy and does not really care what I do. I also manage our finances so it is easier to swing the expense in the sense that if I tell him we can afford it he goes along with it. He also loves me dearly and would do anything for me -- he moved accross the country for my job! -- so in the grand scheme a diamond is nothing really. I am very lucky and love him very much!
1.gif

We also have a deal so that I get my diamonds and he gets to golf. He is a golf NUT and with a toddler, the time away from the family is really a burden on me in the childcare department. We both work full time so childcare is both of our responsibility. So he supports me and thus I support him by "letting" him golf 2x per month and also practice maybe 2-3 evenings each week after our son is in bed. So he is happy about that too. I think this part is important so he does not feel hard done by in the luxory department.

I have reached the end of the financial road for a long while though
2.gif
I think if I wanted to upgrade again it would need to be a long time from now. Obviously, most of our play money for the last few years has gone towards my diamond, and I only really got away with it because I assured him this was the last step for a loooooong time. And it is, I am very happy with my ring.

Why are you nervous to talk to your FI about this? Do you think he will ract badly or is it just because you have some idea like you "shouldn''t" want to upgrade? LIke it is bad to want more than you have?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2010 12:00:17 AM
Author: anitabee
after seeing your most recent ''real life'' shots, HUGE, HUMUNGOUS, MASSIVE, BOULDER-LIKE, WHOPPER... yes, your ring is very large. please don''t lose perspective
20.gif

it''s a beautiful upgrade. please have some peace & happiness with it
1.gif
I am very happy with my ring, I love it to pieces! The rest is just chit chat on a diamond forum where I think it is fine to talk about the future and fantasize about what might be
2.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2010 12:47:19 PM
Author: gemgirl
Thanks for the real life perspective photos dd. You can really see how large your new stone really is.

Having said that........ I don''t think there''s any
11.gif
harm
11.gif
in looking forward to that 2.0 ct upgrade one day. The leap isn''t quite as big anymore.

Do you have updated pictures of the baby anywhere on PS? I''d love to see what the little man looks like now. He was an adorable infant.
I think if I ever did upgrade it would be to the 2.1ct range... but I am not sure I will ever do that. I love this diamond and the size is indeed perfect on my hand, and any bigger will start to look a little ostentatious. But it is fun to dream, isn''t it?

A three stone, now that I might do in a year or so.

I will see about a picture... I have not posted any in a while but maybe when 2.0 is up!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2010 9:37:30 AM
your ring looks great in the family photo
36.gif
Thanks mama! I have not forgotten your request to see the stack, my ring is at the appraisers, but when PS 2.0 is up I will be sure to post it for you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results