shape
carat
color
clarity

Down syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a shot of part of the group. A wild bunch of characters, you can be sure!

halloweengroup2008.JPG

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here''s an action shot with most of the guys. We have a Man in Black, a Cowboy, a King.

halloween2008.JPG

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
So cute!! I love his costume!!! That is so creative of him to come up with all of those ideas too! I can''t wait to see more pictures!!

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Upgradable - I just found this thread, but I wanted to tell you that the way you describe your son is so true of so many people with Down Syndrome. I knew an older gentleman with it when I was in college (Lindsay was his name and he was probably 40 or so) who was an absolutely crack-up! He would come and visit me every day at the gas station I worked at and he''d sit and tell jokes and tell stories and he was the bright part of my day. He was an only child and his parents would take him to Europe every year and his favorite part of the trip was all the pubs he''d get to go to - he loved beer! He walked everywhere and worked as a bagger at one of the local grocery stores and every time I''d go it he''d say hello to me. Even years after I graduated, when I went back to visit some friends, we stopped into the grocery store and he was there and ran up and gave me the biggest hug and remembered my name. It was so awesome, I teared up. I really think that they have something special about them that you just can''t appreciate until you get to actually know someone with Downs.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
What a wonderful story, Laurel! Thanks so much for sharing that!! Our greatest wish for Paul is that he establish a happy, fulfilling life for himself!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Laurel - That is so sweet! How wonderful that you built a bond that lasted so!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have a down''s child myself, but I have a heart warming story to tell of my uncle who is down''s.

My mother''s parents had 5 kids with my mom being the youngest. When my mom was 10, my grandmother got pregnant again. She was in her early 40s. There were not any tests for downs or other genetic issues as it was 1958. My uncle was born and he "looked a little different." It didn''t take long before it was figured out that he had down''s syndrome. The doctor''s told my grandparents to just put their new baby son in an institution and "forget about him." (That was the typical thing done in that era) But they didn''t to do it. They brought him home to a house filled with kids. My grandmother was always very resourceful so she read up on how to teach children with learning disabilities. She taught the older children the same thing. As my uncle grew, he had a houseful of people to help homeschool him. At checkups the doctors continued to A. be amazed at his progress. B. continue to push for institutionalizing him.

When he became a teen my grandparents saw that he was going to need a "job" to feel productive. They looked around and saw no opportunities for a downs sydrome adult. So, my grandfather started a company in his specialty--tool and dye making--and gave their son a job as janitor. With the careful homeschooling, he learned to function at about an age 10-11 year old kid.

Fast forward to today, my uncle 50 and my grandparents are in their 90s. My grandparents made millions with their company. They eventually sold the company but stipulated that the company would continue to employee my uncle until he wanted to leave. My uncle STILL works there as a janitor. My grandparents are still living in their home BECAUSE my uncle now takes care of them. He carries the heavy items, does laundry, cleans the house, helps my grandparents get out of their lazyboy chairs and even cooks a little. Without him, they would have to be in a nursing home. My grandparents chose to follow their own path and do what they thought was best for their little boy..and so much has happened in their life for the better because of it.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for this thread upgradable. We have a new member of our famiily that has down syndrome. She is 14. Her mother passed away during the 9/11 attacks (she was in one of the towers) and her father has given up. He has left her so many times alone in the house while he traveled to other countries (he also has a 19 year old son that would "stay" with her). She would call my mom every once in a while and ask my mom if she can take her to the movies or my mom would go there with dinner.

Anyway, my mom talked to him about having her stay in our family home with my mom and he agreed. I think she moves in with us sometime before Thanksgiving.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Well, congratulations Fieryeyed for getting a new sister!! That''s terrific that she''ll have a home that is loving and stable. Stability and routine are sooo important in functioning to one''s potential. Encourage your mom to find a parent''s group or some other local organization that can help support all of you in forming these great new family bonds!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2008 9:11:54 AM
Author: Upgradable
Here''s an action shot with most of the guys. We have a Man in Black, a Cowboy, a King.
Ah, great picture!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Fiery - So glad to hear that you are bringing her into your family! Keep us updated please!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here''s what we''ve been up to today. Thanksgiving is Paul''s second favorite holiday (after Christmas, of course), and he LOVES pumpkin pie. This year he wanted to make it, so here is the proof. Last picture he decided I needed to be captured.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!!! May you be blessed, and enjoy your blessings!!!

paulbakingpie08.JPG

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE this picture Upgradeable!!!!! Paul looks so darn cute making that pumpkin pie. You look wonderful too.

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Paul and your family.

Linda

bellah

Rough_Rock
Upgradable, this is honestly my favourite thread here now. Its been so wonderful reading about your beautiful son. Thank you so much for sharing your journey and your blessing with us. I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes. He's just perfect.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
He is perfect!! We sat together tonight (grandpa, uncle, dad, mom, sister, and Paul) and played Uno. I don't know if you know the card game, but this version has an automated dealing device that you have to hit occassionally and it shoots extra cards at you. We all played for two and a half hours and have never laughed so hard in our lives!! Paul is the life of the party!!

Oh, and the pie was divine!!!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh these pics of Paul are so great. He''s such a cutie, and what a blessing he must be!!! Thanks for sharing a bit of him with us!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the pics of Paul making the pie!! thanks for sharing him with us...

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a touching story sent to me by Paul''s former teacher. He has his Christmas Party this Saturday, so stay tuned for more pictures!!

At a fundraising dinner for a school that serves children with learning disabilities, the father of one of the students delivered a speech that would never be forgotten by all who attended. After extolling the school and its dedicated staff, he offered a question:

''When not interfered with by outside influences, everything nature does, is done with perfection. Yet my son, Shay, cannot learn things as other children do. He cannot understand things as other children do.

Where is the natural order of things in my son?''

The audience was stilled by the query.

The father continued. ''I believe that when a child like Shay, who was mentally and physically disabled comes into the world, an opportunity to realize true human nature presents itself, and it comes in the way other people treat that child.''

Then he told the following story:

Shay and I had walked past a park where some boys Shay knew were playing baseball. Shay asked, ''Do you think they''ll let me play?'' I knew that most of the boys would not want someone like Shay on their team, but as a father I also understood that if my son were allowed to play, it would give him a much-needed sense of belonging and some confidence to be accepted by others in spite of his handicaps.

I approached one of the boys on the field and asked (not expecting much) if Shay could play. The boy looked around for guidance and said, ''We''re losing by six runs and the game is in the eighth inning. I guess he can be on our team and we''ll try to put him in to bat in the ninth inning.''

Shay struggled over to the team''s bench and, with a broad smile, put on a team shirt. I watched with a small tear in my eye and warmth in my heart. The boys saw my joy at my son being accepted.

In the bottom of the eighth inning, Shay''s team scored a few runs but was still behind by three.

In the top of the ninth inning, Shay put on a glove and played in the right field. Even though no hits came his way, he was obviously ecstatic just to be in the game and on the field, grinning from ear to ear as I waved to him from the stands.

In the bottom of the ninth inning, Shay''s team scored again.

Now, with two outs and the bases loaded, the potential winning run was on base and Shay was scheduled to be next at bat.

At this juncture, do they let Shay bat and give away their chance to win the game?

Surprisingly, Shay was given the bat. Everyone knew that a hit was all but impossible because Shay didn''t even know how to hold the bat properly, much less connect with the ball.

However, as Shay stepped up to the plate, the pitcher, recognizing that the other team was putting winning aside for this moment in Shay''s life, moved in a few steps to lob the ball in softly so Shay could at least make contact.

The first pitch came and Shay swung clumsily and missed.

The pitcher again took a few steps forward to toss the ball softly towards Shay.

As the pitch came in, Shay swung at the ball and hit a slow ground ball right back to the pitcher.

The game would now be over.

The pitcher picked up the soft grounder and could have easily thrown the ball to the first baseman.

Shay would have been out and that would have been the end of the game.

Instead, the pitcher threw the ball right over the first baseman''s head, out of reach of all team mates.

Everyone from the stands and both teams started yelling, ''Shay, run to first! Run to first!''

Never in his life had Shay ever run that far, but he made it to first base.

He scampered down the baseline, wide-eyed and startled.

Everyone yelled, ''Run to second, run to second!''

Catching his breath, Shay awkwardly ran towards second, gleaming and struggling to make it to the base.

By the time Shay rounded towards second base, the right fielder had the ball, the smallest guy on their team who now had his first chance to be the hero for his team.

He could have thrown the ball to the second-baseman for the tag, but he understood the pitcher''s intentions so he, too, intentionally threw the ball high and far over the third-baseman''s head.

Shay ran toward third base deliriously as the runners ahead of him circled the bases toward home.

All were screaming, ''Shay, Shay, Shay, all the Way Shay''

Shay reached third base because the opposing shortstop ran to help him by turning him in the direction of third base, and shouted, ''Run to third!

Shay, run to third!''

As Shay rounded third, the boys from both teams, and the spectators, were on their feet screaming, ''Shay, run home! Run home!''

Shay ran to home, stepped on the plate, and=2 was cheered as the hero who hit the grand slam and won the game for his team.

''That day'', said the father softly with tears now rolling down his face, ''the boys from both teams helped bring a piece of true love and humanity into this world''.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Paul enjoyed his Holiday party this weekend. They had face painting. Guess what he wanted to be? He is ready for the Broadway Revival!!

PaulIsACatAgain.JPG

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 10:13:48 AM
Author: Upgradable
Paul enjoyed his Holiday party this weekend. They had face painting. Guess what he wanted to be? He is ready for the Broadway Revival!!
Adorable! You have a wonderful family!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results