shape
carat
color
clarity
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PriceScope Upgrade Completed
    For issues, questions and comments click the link below
    https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pricescope-upgraded-comments-and-issues.229551/

Dismiss Notice

double prongs/claw prongs vs. 6 prongs- questions !!

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by weagle, Jan 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weagle
    Rough_Rock

by weagle » Jan 3, 2007
    Hello Everyone !
    I am usually just a lurker but have recently started my "active" search for my E-ring. After much deliberation, I have decided on an oval. I know they can be tricky to find but nothing catches my eye like they do. The problem now is the setting. I want to put all the money in the middle- no side stones for me (maybe with the upgrade at a later time) My preference is 4 prongs (because I hate the way that 6 prongs make an oval look like a marquise)but I have read several threads on here and now I am very confused. Of course I am concerned about the safety of the stone (size will be around 1.5-1.7ct). Calling all experts !! If i go with double prong, or claw prong setting, will that be more safe than a traditional 4 prong setting? Would this take away from the stone and look too prong(y)? for this size stone? What are your thoughts on the security of the stone with a 4 prong setting vs. double prong setting? Thanks so much PSers !!

2. JulieN
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by JulieN » Jan 3, 2007
    I''ve dropped rings a couple times, so I hate the idea of exposed girdles.

3. CJ2008
    Ideal_Rock

by CJ2008 » Jan 3, 2007
    I haven''t seen any double prongs in person...but I saw a few pictures of settings like that on this forum, and I really liked the look...I''m curious too whether there''s a difference in safety...I know this doesn''t answer your question, but I just wanted to make that comment.

4. Tacori E-ring
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Tacori E-ring » Jan 4, 2007
    Leon set Kaleigh''s beautiful oval in a four prong so if that is what you like that is how you should get it set. Double prongs are usually *very* thin by themselves so I am not sure how much extra protection they really are.

5. jaz464
    Ideal_Rock

by jaz464 » Jan 4, 2007
    With a largish oval, I prefer claw prongs. I don''t know if they are safer, I just prefer the look.

6. Miranda
    Ideal_Rock

by Miranda » Jan 4, 2007
    My all time favorite oval solitaire look is the oval from Harry Winston http://www.harrywinston.com/ I''m not sure about safety issuses, but, i looooooovvvvvvvveeeeeeee it. I''d just get it and walk around with my hand on a pillow all day. I adore ovals with double claw prongs.

7. MustangGal
    Ideal_Rock

by MustangGal » Jan 4, 2007
    I have a .94ct oval in double prongs. After 6 months of wearing it, I managed to crack the girdle on one of the long sides. I don''t know if this was a prong issue, or if my stone was pre-disposed to cracking. I think I hit it on the filing cabinet at work. I do love the look of the double prongs though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.