carat
color
clarity

Doing Business with Jewels by Erica Grace

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 1:31:20 PM
Author: dreamer_d
I am very color sensitive (i.e., as in perceptive), the bane of my diamond existence
2.gif
But I also may recall you mentioning the color somewhere else... I think your photos are really great for showing the difference between an F and an I in some lighting, though of course in reality the fine nuance of color differences are so much less noticable. I wonder if you can comment on the different appearances of your three diamonds in terms of color? Of course, you I is also larger and I have noticed that once you are over the 1.5ct mark the performance really changes in the diamond and it shows more contrast and scintillation from the larger facets and virtual factes, and that sort of changes the flavour of the color... anyways, would love to hear your comments since you own a D and F and an I!
I can see color well myself, but in many lights this I is a perfect match to the D because it''s so excellently cut and all I can see are the flashes of light. I think I''m going to do a separate thread comparing the 3, not only for color, but cut. One is a WF ACA and 2 are Eightstars and the differences are subtle, but they do exist. I''m forming an opinion of which cut I favor, but it''s by a tiny margin. I''ll save all that for a comparison thread.

I know you ended up choosing a J that makes my mouth water. I think your stone''s diameter is about the same as mine and how I wish we could hold our hands side-by-side in some different lights. Not only for color comparison, but to compare a BGD to an Eightstar of the same size.

I actually have lots of diamonds, mostly 1 ct and below, of all different colors, but only the 3 shown here are branded cuts. For that reason I doubt I''ll include any of them in color comparisons because the cut really does change perception. For example I have a GIA graded G that faced up more tinted than this GIA I, and I''m sure it''s because the G really needs a trip to a recutter.

One other thing I''ve notised before and I''m seeing it here is that high clarity makes a difference to my eyes, even if I can''t actually see the inclusions. The D is a VS2, and has nothing at all in the table are. It''s beautiful, but my eyes just get lost in the VVS1. It''s hard to explain, but it''s like I''m looking at the clearest water that just ripples if I even think of moving. Make any sense?

OK, I know this is a bit long, so I''ll shut up for the moment. Here''s a hand shot with all 3. Pardon the swollen finger look, but that''s how my hands do when it''s 100 degrees outside.

LW-3flag-PS.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock
They're gorgeous diamonds, Lone Wolf -- all of them!

I used to go "visit" those Eightstar diamonds on Erica and Grace's site, and seriously considered that I-2 -- what a bargain! -- but I'm glad they went to a good home with a fellow lover of well-cut diamonds. Congratulations on your beautiful stones -- looking forward to more photos!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 2:00:59 PM
Author: Lone_Wolfe

One other thing I''ve notised before and I''m seeing it here is that high clarity makes a difference to my eyes, even if I can''t actually see the inclusions. The D is a VS2, and has nothing at all in the table are. It''s beautiful, but my eyes just get lost in the VVS1. It''s hard to explain, but it''s like I''m looking at the clearest water that just ripples if I even think of moving. Make any sense?
I feel this way about my new stone and I think it is the size actually, rather than clarity! I have heard others remark that when diamonds get above about 1.5ct the virtual facest get so large that it just changes the overall optics and I have noticed this for sure. Your description of rippling water is really apt! I think it perfectly describes what I see when looking into my diamond. I think it is the cut because I just cannot imagine that clarity makes that much difference, expecially when we are talking about VS versus VVS.. and my stone is VS1. But I could be wrong! Either way, I am very happy with this size diamond and love it for the optics not just for the spread.

My stone is 7.62-7.66mm, is that very close to yours?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, and I would love to see a comparison thread!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 2:16:53 PM
Author: sarap333
They''re gorgeous diamonds, Lone Wolf -- all of them!

I used to go ''visit'' those Eightstar diamonds on Erica and Grace''s site, and seriously considered that I-2 -- what a bargain! -- but I''m glad they went to a good home with a fellow lover of well-cut diamonds. Congratulations on your beautiful stones -- looking forward to more photos!
Thanks sarap. BTW, I love your ring too, but I guess you already know that from your previous thread.
9.gif

I don''t blame you for the visits, I visited them almost daily while I was waiting on them. Feel free to visit them here all you like. I can''t get to it right now but I''ll put up one of the pics that I saved from JBEG''s site. In the mean time here''s another of the 1.57 and the .84 ACA. Color is bad, but I still like the pic.

LW-ACA-157.jpg

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 2:20:31 PM

I feel this way about my new stone and I think it is the size actually, rather than clarity! I have heard others remark that when diamonds get above about 1.5ct the virtual facest get so large that it just changes the overall optics and I have noticed this for sure. Your description of rippling water is really apt! I think it perfectly describes what I see when looking into my diamond. I think it is the cut because I just cannot imagine that clarity makes that much difference, expecially when we are talking about VS versus VVS.. and my stone is VS1. But I could be wrong! Either way, I am very happy with this size diamond and love it for the optics not just for the spread.

My diamond is 7.54-7.55mm, so you''ve got .1mm over me. Doubt we could tell much difference. You make a good point there, that it could well be the cut. I wonder also if it''s the slight warmth of color, not enough to really see in most light, but still there. I have a couple other stones in this size range at home and neither of them has this effect even though one is an F and the other is a K or L. I''m also wearing a 2 ct J on my right hand that''s a very good, but not premium cut that has this effect just a little bit. Not nearly as much as the 1.57 though.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 10:56:13 AM
Author: ericad
Awwww, shucks! It was a pleasure working with you, Lonewolfe, and thanks for the kind words. We look forward to many future projects!
Thanks Erica. I''m waiting to hear back from Grace now with my quote and hopefully artist sketches. I have several possible candidates for the accent stone, just have to narrow it down to just one.....
41.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 2:38:40 PM

Date: 5/20/2010 2:20:31 PM

My diamond is 7.54-7.55mm, so you''ve got .1mm over me. Doubt we could tell much difference. You make a good point there, that it could well be the cut. I wonder also if it''s the slight warmth of color, not enough to really see in most light, but still there. I have a couple other stones in this size range at home and neither of them has this effect even though one is an F and the other is a K or L. I''m also wearing a 2 ct J on my right hand that''s a very good, but not premium cut that has this effect just a little bit. Not nearly as much as the 1.57 though.
Goodness LW you have quite the collection! Hoepfully one day we can see them all!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 3:14:13 PM

Goodness LW you have quite the collection! Hoepfully one day we can see them all!
I''ll have to drag them all out and take pics next time I''m stateside. I''ve collected diamonds and had jewelry custom made for years. I would mostly scour pawn shops for the occasional nice stone and then when I had enough, get something made. At times I found some really screaming deals like a .55 H-IF nicely cut pear for $800. I''m into freeform type designs. This setting here..

http://www.stuller.com/products/82790/?groupId=41815&cid=11153

is the inspiration for what I''m having Grace work up now.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 3:29:55 PM

Date: 5/20/2010 3:14:13 PM

I''ll have to drag them all out and take pics next time I''m stateside. I''ve collected diamonds and had jewelry custom made for years. I would mostly scour pawn shops for the occasional nice stone and then when I had enough, get something made. At times I found some really screaming deals like a .55 H-IF nicely cut pear for $800. I''m into freeform type designs. This setting here..

http://www.stuller.com/products/82790/?groupId=41815&cid=11153

is the inspiration for what I''m having Grace work up now.
Ohhh I like that design for a pendant!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 5:45:14 PM

Ohhh I like that design for a pendant!
So do I. The plan is to have a larger bottom hook to accomodate the 1.10 and thin out the upper hook and put something around .30 in there. I''m scouring WF, BGD, & JA for the perfect stone. You''d think I was shopping for a 3 ct the way I''m poring over the possibilities.
emotion-18.gif
9.gif

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 2:31:36 PM
Date: 5/20/2010 2:16:53 PM

Author: sarap333

They''re gorgeous diamonds, Lone Wolf -- all of them!

I used to go ''visit'' those Eightstar diamonds on Erica and Grace''s site, and seriously considered that I-2 -- what a bargain! -- but I''m glad they went to a good home with a fellow lover of well-cut diamonds. Congratulations on your beautiful stones -- looking forward to more photos!

Thanks sarap. BTW, I love your ring too, but I guess you already know that from your previous thread.
9.gif

I don''t blame you for the visits, I visited them almost daily while I was waiting on them. Feel free to visit them here all you like. I can''t get to it right now but I''ll put up one of the pics that I saved from JBEG''s site. In the mean time here''s another of the 1.57 and the .84 ACA. Color is bad, but I still like the pic.

Thanks for the compliment on my ring, Lone Wolf. I think we are "hand twins"! I wear a 7.75 ring, and it''s great to see the different diamond sizes and ring styles on your hands. I really love the 1.57 in the Vatche setting on your hand -- it looks great. And your ACA looks wonderful in the yellow gold setting.

Stay safe over in Iraq -- can''t wait to see more of your collection when you get back home.

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
CONGRALUATIONS on your beautiful new pieces Lone_Wolf, they are absolutely stunning!!!!!!!

i''m so happy to hear such great positive reviews about JbEG! they are doing both my engagement ring reset and wedding band, Grace has been so so so so so fantastic to work with, I can''t wait for the final product! :D

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Thanks sarap333, staying safe is a high priority here.
35.gif

Date: 5/21/2010 10:22:58 AM
Author: sweetpea&babycorn
CONGRALUATIONS on your beautiful new pieces Lone_Wolf, they are absolutely stunning!!!!!!!

i''m so happy to hear such great positive reviews about JbEG! they are doing both my engagement ring reset and wedding band, Grace has been so so so so so fantastic to work with, I can''t wait for the final product! :D
Thank you sweetpea&babycorn. You know, don''t you, that now I want to see pics of your set when they''re done.
9.gif

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/21/2010 9:10:50 PM

Thank you sweetpea&babycorn. You know, don''t you, that now I want to see pics of your set when they''re done.
9.gif

thanks LW! i definitely will, it''s such an exciting project! i don''t think i''ve ever been this excited about anything :) we are making modifications on the Julia, and they are making a basic wedding band with an antique flair, JbEG style!

i hope you wear those rings in good health, they are just beautiful!!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Grace wanted a pic of one of these rings with some hand grenades, but I couldn''t get any grenades, so I took one stuck in between the sandbags around a bunker.
9.gif

LW-I2onaBunker.jpg

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
And here''s one taken with my body armor.
35.gif

LW-I2onmyIBA.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2010 7:24:37 AM
And here''s one taken with my body armor.
35.gif
LOL at these photos. Lone_wolfe, I''m really enjoying this thread. You have some great diamonds, and love your pendant project. Thanks for serving our country. Now, I''m thinking a rifle shot would be great. Or, with some ammo. I understand there is probably a shortage of flowers over there, but it would be interesting to see some if they are around.

Looking forward to your comparison thread. You have a great eye, and I enjoy your comments on the diamonds.
35.gif

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2010 2:27:30 PM
Author: Fly Girl
LOL at these photos. Lone_wolfe, I''m really enjoying this thread. You have some great diamonds, and love your pendant project. Thanks for serving our country. Now, I''m thinking a rifle shot would be great. Or, with some ammo. I understand there is probably a shortage of flowers over there, but it would be interesting to see some if they are around.

Looking forward to your comparison thread. You have a great eye, and I enjoy your comments on the diamonds.
35.gif

Just ask and ye shall recieve.....
9.gif

LW-I2withRifle.jpg

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I just can't resist...

LW-157-holding-rebar.jpg

LW-157-MorningFire.jpg

LW-157-MorningSun.jpg

LW-157-TWall.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Best. Diamond. Action. Photos. Evah!

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Lone Wolf,

We really need to get you a whole thread of these crazy action shots! I cannot get enough of them!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Stay safe sparkly lady!!! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results