shape
carat
color
clarity

Dog peeps - need different perspectives on neighborhood etiquette

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chickens attract foxes and coyotes. Coyotes are very aggressive getting to their prey.

Don't even get me started about people with chickens and roosters!

I have both. My neighbors love my chickens. Never had a coyote in my yard. Hawks are the only predator I’ve ever lost a bird to.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Think maybe they got wind of your chicken plans and decided to head that off? Assuming there are not chickens already in the neighborhood, I would be none too happy with a new neighbor showing up and getting chickens when neighbors are in close proximity. Are chickens even allowed by the HOA? Don't know your neighborhood setting, but chickens attract coyotes and they create all sorts of problems for kids, dogs, cats, etc.

No, except for my kids who never spoke to them except: "bonjour/soir madame /monsieur" they couldn't have known.
Coop would have been on the other side of the property in the woods. No sight /sound /smell for any neighbour.
No rooster. No restrictions in HOA.
No coyotes in our place of the world...
And: even if you were unhappy with a neighbor getting chickens, you don't just send your 42 inch dog into their yard to make a statement. I hope... a little conversation goes a long way.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, except for my kids who never spoke to them except: "bonjour/soir madame /monsieur" they couldn't have known.
Coop would have been on the other side of the property in the woods. No sight /sound /smell for any neighbour.
No rooster. No restrictions in HOA.
No coyotes in our place of the world...
And: even if you were unhappy with a neighbor getting chickens, you don't just send your 42 inch dog into their yard to make a statement. I hope... a little conversation goes a long way.

Exactly. I'd much rather have neighbors with chickens than giant dogs who roam on my property and steal shit at their leisure. :angryfire: I hate irresponsible and inconsiderate dog owners. They are the WORST.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate irresponsible pet owners irrespective of what type of pets they are. We currently have a large cat that comes over to our yard, has done thousands of dollars worth of injuries to one of my cats (the one that lives outside during the day time, he is locked up at night) who is very placid, and the intruder cat has now been after our chickens and guinea pigs, it has killed a number of native birds on my property. I haven't been able to find out who owns the cat, but I'm thinking of buying a trap trying to catch it and strapping a note around the cat telling the owners to lock it up or next time I will be taking their cat to the local pound and they can pay to get the cat back again.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neighborhood etiquette in my area is to keep your dogs behind fences and on a leash when out. Much safer for the dogs. I had a friend who annoyed countless people by letting her dog roam free. One day the dog never came back. Very sad.

I live next to a park so we have a lot of wildlife. Last week I was reading my Kindle by the fire pit and heard a coyote howl in the corner of my back yard. Scared me and I creeped back to the house. I could never keep chickens or bunnies in the fringe area where I live. My yard is like a killing field. Too often I find the remains of squirrels, bunnies, birds, and ground hogs. I am left to guess if the fox, or neighborhood cats who have killed them. Very gruesome and unpleasant.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Follow up and big thanks to the wise people of PS:
The lab owners installed invisible fencing after I brought it up in a nice conversation. They're not up to dealing with chasing their young dog through a forest uphill anymore and thought this was a convenience.
Thanks to everyone who suggested that!
He still manages to break out, but only once in a while...

Mr. Great Dane Lawyer Guy said " sorry you're feeling that way", when I explained my concerns.
Knowing that other people also think it's NOT OK helped me to say that it is not a feeling of ours, but has to stop. They have taken more care to watch the dog, but I've seen them behind our fence, trying to get the dog back out of our yard a few times.
After we've found poop , we watched closely where the dog likes to jump most times and put a fine electric fencing ( actually just a fine wire , hardly visible )on top of our regular fence.
Haven't had any problems since.
Wouldn't have thought of this without your suggestions!!!:appl::appl::appl:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Follow up and big thanks to the wise people of PS:
The lab owners installed invisible fencing after I brought it up in a nice conversation. They're not up to dealing with chasing their young dog through a forest uphill anymore and thought this was a convenience.
Thanks to everyone who suggested that!
He still manages to break out, but only once in a while...

Mr. Great Dane Lawyer Guy said " sorry you're feeling that way", when I explained my concerns.
Knowing that other people also think it's NOT OK helped me to say that it is not a feeling of ours, but has to stop. They have taken more care to watch the dog, but I've seen them behind our fence, trying to get the dog back out of our yard a few times.
After we've found poop , we watched closely where the dog likes to jump most times and put a fine electric fencing ( actually just a fine wire , hardly visible )on top of our regular fence.
Haven't had any problems since.
Wouldn't have thought of this without your suggestions!!!:appl::appl::appl:

Great!! Now get those chickens. :lol::lol::lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results