Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Does upgrading diamond mean a new ring?

gobble

Rough_Rock
Joined
Feb 17, 2014
Messages
62
If I have a copy of a Cartier ring with a 2.1 carat diamond does the ring need to completely redone if the diamond is changed to a 3.5 carat diamond? Is it just changing the prongs or would it require major remaking of the ring?
 

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,776
gobble said:
If I have a copy of a Cartier ring with a 2.1 carat diamond does the ring need to completely redone if the diamond is changed to a 3.5 carat diamond? Is it just changing the prongs or would it require major remaking of the ring?
The entire ring would need to be remade for that large of a stone.
 

gobble

Rough_Rock
Joined
Feb 17, 2014
Messages
62
Does that mean, for example, that all the stones around the band would need to be replaced with different ones? Can you help me understand a little why it isn't as simple as changing the prongs? Remaking the ring would add significant cost to changing the diamond. Please excuse my ignorance.

Also, how large do you think I can go and maintain the existing ring?
 

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,776
gobble said:
Does that mean, for example, that all the stones around the band would need to be replaced with different ones? Can you help me understand a little why it isn't as simple as changing the prongs? Remaking the ring would add significant cost to changing the diamond. Please excuse my ignorance.

Also, how large do you think I can go and maintain the existing ring?
Post a photo of your ring.
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,631
You can hardly go any larger with a basket style setting. You'd have to sell the old setting and get a new one.
 

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,776
gobble said:
Does that mean, for example, that all the stones around the band would need to be replaced with different ones? Can you help me understand a little why it isn't as simple as changing the prongs? Remaking the ring would add significant cost to changing the diamond. Please excuse my ignorance.

Also, how large do you think I can go and maintain the existing ring?
Unless the prongs can accommodate the dimensions of the new stone (which is not likely, as that is a very large increase in size), an entirely new ring will have to be made.

It's not as simple as changing out the prongs. That wouldn't work. Prongs and ring are cast/made as one piece, you can't just chop them off and attach new ones.

And, yes, remaking a ring will cost at least as much as you paid for the original... most likely it will cost more.
 

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 10, 2002
Messages
4,607
Never heard of upgrading in the United Kingdom in real life but on this board 99% of women want and get a new ring.
 

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 28, 2014
Messages
3,696
I just upgraded my diamond from a 1.8 to a 3.3 and IDJ was able to accommodate a new Tiffany style 6 prong head in my original setting that is similar to that Cartier one. It's done absolutely gorgeously and I LOVE it. I'd have it looked at professionally before ruling it out. :wavey:

Eta: Yekutiel did tell me there was a possibility of having to open up the ring more to accommodate a new head but the new 6 prong head was polished nice and thin and was able to fit without having to do all that. I'm also positive of this bc my original engraving was intact.
 

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Joined
Nov 28, 2008
Messages
1,673
gobble|1468799588|4056510 said:
If I have a copy of a Cartier ring with a 2.1 carat diamond does the ring need to completely redone if the diamond is changed to a 3.5 carat diamond? Is it just changing the prongs or would it require major remaking of the ring?
Talk to the jeweler who made your ring. Their bench may have the ability to use the laser to remove the current basket, and install a new one.
 

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 2, 2013
Messages
3,083
Winks_Elf|1468851719|4056656 said:
Talk to the jeweler who made your ring. Their bench may have the ability to use the laser to remove the current basket, and install a new one.
Do you think the pavéd cathedral "wings" can be forced sufficiently far apart -- without impairing their integrity and/or disturbing the fluidity of the setting's lines -- to accommodate a larger basket?

(I've been wondering if IDJ's successful conversion of ac117's ring is possibly because her ring is not a cathedral style mounting; I can't tell from her avatar pic if it's a cathedral one or not)
 

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 27, 2011
Messages
6,379
MollyMalone|1468852982|4056660 said:
Winks_Elf|1468851719|4056656 said:
Talk to the jeweler who made your ring. Their bench may have the ability to use the laser to remove the current basket, and install a new one.
Do you think the pavéd cathedral "wings" can be forced sufficiently far apart -- without impairing their integrity and/or disturbing the fluidity of the setting's lines -- to accommodate a larger basket?

(I've been wondering if IDJ's successful conversion of ac117's ring is possibly because her ring is not a cathedral style mounting; I can't tell from her avatar pic if it's a cathedral one or not)
ac117's ring is a cathedral style mounting. The span seems to be the limiting issue. This headless shank is easier to look at
http://www.stuller.com/products/sh336/?groupId=117239

So if the ring's span was meant to accommodate a 2.1 ct head, I'm guessing that if you decapitate the head and put in a head to accommodate the 3.5, or you build up the prongs, the 3.5 ct will sit higher than the 2.1 ct did due to its larger size.
 

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 28, 2014
Messages
3,696
MollyMalone|1468852982|4056660 said:
Winks_Elf|1468851719|4056656 said:
Talk to the jeweler who made your ring. Their bench may have the ability to use the laser to remove the current basket, and install a new one.
Do you think the pavéd cathedral "wings" can be forced sufficiently far apart -- without impairing their integrity and/or disturbing the fluidity of the setting's lines -- to accommodate a larger basket?

(I've been wondering if IDJ's successful conversion of ac117's ring is possibly because her ring is not a cathedral style mounting; I can't tell from her avatar pic if it's a cathedral one or not)
Mine is a cathedral style - the only difference is mine tapers. They would've had to essentially cut the bottom of the shank and resized the ring to open up the cathedral "wings" if my new head wouldn't fit. I would only trust this with an excellent and experienced bench.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top