shape
carat
color
clarity

Does this stone appear milky?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is some blue in all the diamonds (except the yellow) in direct sunlight. I urge you not to advise people to look at diamonds in direct sunlight because on blue sky days the blue is the reflection of the sky.
It is misleading and confuses people FP.
Why is it confusing if you see the blue and the reflection of the sky? Under a tree, you see green. Under a IS scope. you see red. Under a clear blue sky, you see blue. What does it have anything to do with assessing milkiness/cloudiness? Plus, I also stated to view the diamond from the side. You won't see any blue from that angle.

I am puzzled with your advice not to look at diamonds in direct sunlight with clear sky, especially from someone in Australia.

Last edited:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Why is it confusing if you see the blue and the reflection of the sky? Under a tree, you see green. Under a IS scope. you see red. Under a clear blue sky, you see blue. What does it have anything to do with assessing milkiness/cloudiness? Plus, I also stated to view the diamond from the side. You won't see any blue from that angle.

I am puzzled with your advice not to look at diamonds in direct sunlight with clear sky, especially from someone in Australia.

Because I have seen countless people over 20 years confusing blue sky with blue fluorescence FP.
I am not trying to harm or hurt newbies - I am though trying to have great people like you understand how we can best help people. diamonds are complex. Lighting is complex. Fluoro is complex.

gemini13

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you all the comments on this post. I appreciate every single comment on here. I know there are different options on checking it under the sun and under the UV light, but she already said she couldn’t bring it outside of the store.

As Garry said, I requested a image of the stone under the UV light and she sent me this video below.

She once again said this is a clearer stone that I would expect with a stone has strong fluorescence and wish I could be able to see it in person. ( of course I would trust your opinions more because I don’t know if they try to sell me this stone or being honest)

She also said if I still hesitate, they can always ship overnight anD if I’m not happy with the ring, I still can do the return since this is not a custom ring.

I can get it and return but what are your thoughts from this video?

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
looks good to me.

good enough, to have it shipped to you as i had suggested, in my advice, to you, earlier in the thread,
you can further assess in direct sunlight and ambient sunlight. which is the light that our species and civilization exists in and the light that you will view your diamond the most.

additionally, i feel it would also be beneficial to view the diamond in as many lighting environments as possible

and at that time, if you are still uncertain, consider making a video clip and post it here on the forum and you will receive more help from the prosumers here

if you decide not to keep it, be sure to return well within the 30 day window.

gemini13

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you Garry and Big Fat Facets.

Just one more question to have a good knowledge. I like the performance of this stone below (I wish I could buy this one but it’s already sold 2 years ago). The one I have been asking is completely different. I don’t know about the color/clarity/fluorescence of this below stone but looks more lively and sparkly. Is it because of the cut? Or Clarity?

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
***edited***dont forget @flyingpig and @Karl_K and others for their opinions

to my eyes, this pear cut in the video, has a pronounced bow tie.

the other pear that you are considering does not have a bow tie ... which, to me, is better than a pear with a dark bow tie. also, noticing that this pear video is shot with some fancier lights on it. whereas, the other has plain drabby office lighting...

have you looked at lots of pears?? its best to view lots of diamonds so that you understand what you like...

Last edited:

gemini13

Rough_Rock
Trade
I’ve never seen a Pear or any other shapes in person with that carats. I went to Kay, Zale, Helzeberg and none of them have any 1.5 and above. I just feel like the strong fluorescence one is too white that I cannot see any sparkly? I know I cannot expect lots of sparkle from a pear shape but the one has a bowtie looks more lively to me. Or just because I don’t like a white diamond. I’m so confused. I just want a bright, clear pear stone that looks lively, sparkly.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
well, i do think that seeing 1.5ct is close enough to 1.7ct to assess if you favor pears

a d color is going to be bright white. that's just how it is.

a diamond is best assessed in person as in real life and not on a computer screen.

yes, it can be confusing. i do understand

have you considered that you might prefer a warmer diamond??

that pear that you feel is more lively, appears, to me, to have some fancy lighting on it.

to be honest, i didn't like the way it looked

gemini13

Rough_Rock
Trade
well, i do think that seeing 1.5ct is close enough to 1.7ct to assess if you favor pears

a d color is going to be bright white. that's just how it is.

a diamond is best assessed in person as in real life and not on a computer screen.

yes, it can be confusing. i do understand

have you considered that you might prefer a warmer diamond??

that pear that you feel is more lively, appears, to me, to have some fancy lighting on it.

to be honest, i didn't like the way it looked

Here is another example of what I like. It’s an E color so close enough to the D I posted. I know this one has bowtie too but look at how it’s sparkly when it moves and it looks “crispy”. The D color I post some how looks just dull and white? Correct me if I’m wrong since I don’t have lots of experience:)

here is the E color that I think it has good light in return:

Here is the D with strong fluorescence I posted

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
if you think you d color 1.7ct looks "dull and white", you should probably keep shopping.

the e color is 3.26ct ... im thinking its not comparable

sure the faceting appears more "crispy" as you say but that could be because it is significantly larger and you can see it much better

additionally, to my eyes, the facets in the 3.26 are bigger so they show up better but that is likely because it's almost double the 1.7 in weight

gemini13

Rough_Rock
Trade
if you think you d color 1.7ct looks "dull and white", you should probably keep shopping.

the e color is 3.26ct ... im thinking its not comparable

sure the faceting appears more "crispy" as you say but that could be because it is significantly larger and you can see it much better

additionally, to my eyes, the facets in the 3.26 are bigger so they show up better but that is likely because it's almost double the 1.7 in weight

Ahhh you’re right! The E color one is bigger so we can see more. I know cut is important factor that decides how sparkly the diamond is. I just don’t know if the D one has a good cut or not. Plus, I’ve been looking for diamonds with the color range from F to H since it’s in my budget but this D has a good price because of the strong fluorescence and SI1 clarity. So maybe that’s why when I see this D it’s just so white to me

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
fancy shape diamonds are assessed by eye. there isn't a set range of numbers like that of a modern round brilliant.

the same pear cut diamond, if you asked 10 people and get 10 very different opinions.

the opinion that matters the most is your own opinion. because you will be purchasing it and wearing it and looking at it day in and day out.

and you are right cut is probably the most important factor, if what you want is a lively diamond. and to determine that for fancy shapes it will be your eyes. that's why its important to look as much as possible. it sort of does "train" your eyes. you better understand yourself and what you like.

hope that helps and makes sense

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results